Single-Lens Google Pixel 2 Camera Takes Top Spot From iPhone 8 Plus in DxO Labs Tests

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

98, 94, 94, 92, 90, 90.... I'm not familiar with the DxO scoring system. However, sounds close enough to a percentage system? Given that assumption, one should probably go for the phone they'll as far as other factors go, also taking into consideration any unique camera features (such as panorama, etc.)

2. AppLearnStay macrumors newbie

software.. every digital camera, dslr, phone camera do computational photography. apple does it in software too

3. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

I apologise, but I havent read any of the reviews, but do they compare focus times and things like video quality etc. While of course the outcome is very important, ease and speed of use would weigh heavily in my priorities, though in truth, and probably wrongly, I have never used a smartphone camera seriously

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Funny thing is, I am now walking around with a P&S camera smaller than my iPhone 5s {L/W not depth}, all due to the fact that I can still be reached on my AW3. I am a singular use case, but find that the quality of this little canon to be quite good, and it has actual optical zoom. I know it is a small use case, but there are others in AW3 threads doing similar, or, looking into small pocketable cameras for this use.

5. 0lf macrumors regular

0lf

It should not be one full stop better than the 8(plus) at low light tele as the 8(plus) relies on the WA sensor in low light. The improvement should be closer to 2/3 stop.

But yeah, it will definitely make a difference from 8

6. wigby macrumors 65816

Agreed. If only it didn't force Apple haters/lovers and annoying pixel peepers to argue over every single new phone release.

7. christo747 macrumors member

christo747

Hey, it's nothing special. I can't repair cars but there are a lot of fantastic people that can! Everyone has different skills.

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I'm guessing they're not so much corrupt, as click-whores like most websites nowadays. Watch every flagship's camera set a new record high score until DxO gets up to 199%.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It also will not be cropping the WA sensor to produce a zoomed image, which in itself will be a markedly nice improvement.

10. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Ok, yes I’m quoting myself but it’s just to save some explaining. And yes it’s not quite on topic, though it does involve a photo.

So, to hell with social media, I know there are some exceptionality well read people on these forums. You know who you are ;)

As I’m still in the process of teaching myself more of the wonders of nature, I’m hoping there’s someone here who can answer my question better and more reliably than bloody social media.

Can anyone tell me what kind of caterpillar this is?

30173164-5FF0-438A-A3B8-02E66C2ECE74.jpeg

11. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

The one on the left (4CD1B) looks much much better, also more natural blur. Is that the iPhone? Or the Pixel?

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It’s a two way street and it should also be noted that Google don’t sell your information, they just use it to drive targeted advertising to generate their revenue.

But if you’re prepared to allow Google that access to your information, some of which you can opt out of, in return you get rewarded for your generosity. You get oodles of free storage, access to some good software, rather intelligent AI and so on.

If it wasn’t for Google getting their hands on people's information, their devices would cost more, you’d have to buy some of their software and so on.

It’s a system that works for millions of people who don’t mind Google scanning their info, or just don’t care either way because they’re getting free stuff.
    It’s no different to Facebook. If anyone uses Facebook they can’t argue about Google’s access to information. It’s the exact same system.

I’m not incidentally, I value my privacy even though I’ve nothing to hide. Which is one of the reasons I buy Apple devices. But really at the end of the day, people make a choice with Google. It’s their choice to make and no-one can chastise them for it.

13. hugo7 macrumors regular

Assuming the score is a percentage (e.g. 98/100), I refuse to accept a 98 for a camera phone which generates this

https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ref2_Bokeh-Outdoor_GooglePixel2.jpg

(That background!)

I don't care whether it's a Samsung Note, iPhone or Pixel, any camera phone generating a result as bad as the above doesn't deserve above 90 (and I'm guessing 'consistency' doesn't figure in the score metric).

14. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

WinterWolf90

I agree, there are still uses for a P&S. I went to the virgin islands recently and forgot about my P&S camera from 2011 that I bought for when I went on vacation. It's waterproof and it took amazing pictures for something that old. It was only 10.2 megapixels, but still has zoom and some other features a phone doesn't have. Yes I realize you can buy waterproof things for the iPhone, but still don't want to risk that.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I agree there’s definitely still a market for them. Whenever I went anywhere of note, or even that I thought could produce something remotely interesting to shoot, I was never without my little Sony. Until the wife broke it.

But I’ll be buying another sometime soon I think. They all have their merits. iPhone, or whatever, has the convenience factor of always being with me and it can take amazing photos.
    My little p&s for better zoom and generally better quality. And my big Panasonic for when I’m in a proper shooting mood and want to slap on a variety of lenses and filters to get the shot I want.

Phones have a long way to go before they can replace an actual camera for people more “into” taking photos.

16. xitongzou macrumors member

A lot of Apple fanboys kept saying that they don't trust DxOMark or whatever.. but DxO tested the iPhone in their tests too and the Pixel craps all over it.. don't get jealous guys... unless you think there's a conspiracy with Google and DxO, just admit the Pixel camera is better.

17. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

yea that's what i thought too. beyond me why they used this picture as it is obviously the worst portrait blur EVER.

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well the thing is, for some of us, well lets just say me. There's only one standard by which I judge any camera and that's my own eyes.

Photography, as with many things, is a hugely subjective medium. Which is why it's easy to go to a gallery (what? we all go to gallery's don't we?) and prefer one artists work over another. A lot of it has to do with composition, lighting, focus, exposure, subject and on and on and on.

I'm not going to say the Pixel 2 is worse than the iPhone, but nor will I say the iPhone is better than the Pixel 2. I'll make that decision when I have tried them both for myself. And it will be a decision for me and me only, which is the only decision that should matter to anyone, not what some random person on the internet tells you is good.

If you don't care too much about photography, then sure, use these subjective measurements as a guide to make your decisions. In truth you probably wont notice a massive difference between them if you're not viewing them enlarged or editing them on a big screen.

19. Kramolev macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Wait, I thought Apple had a 2.5 year lead in camera technology?

20. Meandmunch macrumors 6502

That is the immense power of Googles software engineering capabilities on display.

21. CrudDud macrumors newbie

CrudDud

I think it's worth noting that the Samsung review was written by Paul Carroll, while the iPhone and Pixel reviews were both written by David Cardinal. Perhaps David Cardinal is simply more enthusiastic and excitable.

22. TonnyM macrumors member

You haven’t heard ? Google uses machine learning to provide such an incredible Bokeh effect, they clearly don’t need two cameras for that :) .

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

They might very well have made an excellent camera harnessing the power of machine learning. But that image is most definitely not the example I would choose to brand it incredible. There are better images to chose from surely?

24. flofixer macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree more. That's an absolutely terrible image. Also if you look at the picture of the trees comparing the Pixel 2 to the HTC U11 you can clearly see that the Pixel 2 is awful in capturing images in the shadows. The HTC did a far better job

25. petsounds macrumors 65816

Whether the scores are bought or not, the scores are meaningless. They're arbitrary numbers assigned by people comparing photos. There's nothing scientific about it. And what are they going to do once they reach 100? Go to 102, 105, 112? They have to keep saying "the new best" so people will click on their site.

I'm satisfied to look at the photos and make my own decision about what's better.