Siri can't hear me on new iPhone 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsjr2006, Sep 29, 2016.

1. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

I have a new iPhone 7 Plus that I finally received last week. I noticed over the last few days that Siri cannot hear me and Dictation does not work unless I'm using Bluetooth. Seems to be a hardware issue, it did get splashed over the weekend and I only noticed it not working after that.

Of course I can barely get an Apple Store appointment and they're in too short supply to simply exchange.

2. macrumordude macrumors member

macrumordude

First day, I was able to yell "hey Siri" from across the room and I would hear me. A couple days later, it couldn't hear me unless I came real close. Thought I was the only one. Software or hardware?

3. dsjr2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Brought it into the store. They ran Diagnostics and found the earpiece microphone (front microphone) was not properly functioning. They replaced it with a brand new device.

Unfortunate, but I now have a fully functioning phone again. I didn't notice it before possibly, but this new device does seem to have a noise (as described elsewhere) under heavy load, only noticeable very very close to my ear.

4. macrumordude macrumors member

macrumordude

Glad you got it. Mine's fine, it's just that if you don't wake/use it every so often, it won't listen to you. Hehe..:D

5. Mrlexima macrumors newbie

Mrlexima

6. Mrlexima macrumors newbie

Mrlexima

I fixed the issue on my phone without getting a replacement.

It's a bit of a hassle but what you must do is restore the phone to factory settings then when rebooting you must select the option to set up phone as a new phone.

Only then will Siri continue to work as normal. You will unfortunately lose all your previous data from your backups but everything will work fine.

7. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

Anyone else having this issue? I was able to set up Hey Siri a few days ago and everything was working as it should but now Siri and Dictation can't hear me at all.

8. bigenius macrumors member

bigenius

I'm having this as well. Also, when using the front camera to record video, the first seconds have almost unhearable sound. After a few seconds it's okay. Very strange.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

10. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Yeah my iPad Pro 9.7 is extremely responsive when I say "Hey Siri". Even from another room. But my 7+ next to me I have to say it multiple times often.

11. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I had this exact issue. One of your mics is faulty. I got a warranty replacement from Apple.

12. bigenius macrumors member

bigenius

I've got a Genius bar appointment today regarding this, I'll keep you updated about the outcome.

13. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

Update: I ended up having to get an AppleCare replacement and now "Hey Siri" works perfectly!

14. bigenius macrumors member

bigenius

My appointment at the genius bar went well. The diagnosis tool reported a faulty microphone and my phone was repaired, took about 40 minutes - they swapped the microphone as well as the display. I don't have Apple care but I had 44 days left of the 1 year warranty so it was repaired at no charge.
    All ok now