Siri is not new, let's get it straight.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h00ligan, Oct 4, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It is an app/company apple bought. They then allowed it to tie in with their private api's.

Nobody should defend their move to lock it to the 4s, period. There aren't technical reasons...they just don't have nothing else they could force the upgrade with.

Isn't this an original iPhone...yes, I think it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AohzWSkAU7c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So fine, it's cool if you like the 4s, but I can't count how many posts is read today where people act as if a)apple made Siri or b) there's some reason fruitco can't have it run on older devices.

It's the holdback to compel the upgrade, that's all.

I expect a jailbreak will remedy that at some point.

2. oplix Suspended

oplix

I agree and it will be remedied when jailbreak comes out.

3. Bag302 macrumors regular

Agree. I had the siri app but deleted it after a couple of days because it was dissapointing. It kept making mistakes - bad ones - especially while in my car with the air conditioning on.

It misinterpreted me time after time. I dont mumble either. In fact, im a public speaker.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

God knows how this will work for people with strong accents.

It's ok speaking, as we call it BBC English, crisp and clearly and pronouncing the letters of each word well.

Just in the UK, Scottish, Welsh, Geordie, Cornish etc etc.

It's the reason speech recognition has not caught on despite it being available 20 or 20 years ago.

If you can't detect/understand the words correctly all the time. 99.9999% people are going to get fed up with it.

And how wil it know it's YOU talking and not someone next to you or behind you?

5. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why does your rant event matter?

So what, SIRI is not new. I have it on my iPhone and its ok. No one knows how Apple has improved it and thats what is really going to matter.

Why are you so angry about it...?

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I also had Siri installed on my iPhone for about a week. It was OK, but the novelty quickly wore off. I may be in the minority, and maybe people seem put-off by the effort of using their iPhone in a conventional manner, but I like doing stuff on my iPhone. I'm constantly using it. And when I'm not actively doing a search, I'm just exploring different apps and settings. I've tried Siri and I don't think I like automation, but I'm sure there are non-technology people that just don't like using their iPhone and want it to work more effortlessly.

His post doesn't seem that angry. If anything, you're the one getting worked-up.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Why shouldn't they do it to provide a reason to upgrade? Could they make it work with older phones? Maybe. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with Apple making a new feature exclusive to a new model.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sure, its definitely their right to make this an exclusive feature. This is how Apple has always operated and will operate in the future. Little bits at a time. Like the tortoise and the hare.

That said, if the iPhone 4 can handle basic video editing, this feature will be functioning just fine on the iPhone 4 within weeks of iOS 5's release.

10. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Or the iPone 4S has 1GB of ram that Siri requires?

11. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Actually, the 3 main reasons I like the 4S are: 1.) world phone, 2.) better camera, 3.) faster. The Siri thing is just an extra for me. The upgrades over the iPhone 4, and the fact that I've wanted a smartphone for a while, makes me want the 4S a lot.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

But we've heard this story before though. The iPhone 4 getting features that the iPhone 3S could handle just fine. This is not like a hardware change that is prohibiting a feature (like no FaceTime due to no front-facing camera).

13. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

That may be.
    But, maybe Siri requires 1GB of ram to cache and store all requests - it's a "conversation" so it has stored all requests/questions in real time, and not write them to the flash.

But, no one has the phone to review - or confirm any of this. So why bother arguing over it? :p

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Siri app that you could install on your iPhone was significantly dumbed down - according to the original designer - so it could run on the old hardware.

The new app will change the way we interact with electronic appliances forever ... According to the same designer.

His position is the iPhone 4S is the FIRST phone from any manufacturer with the necessary horsepower and design necessary to run Siri fir real.

-t

15. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

It's too much work to get to do that, when you can just silently find all that info yourself.

16. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Taking pictures on a cell phone isn't new either. I have used Siri in the past, but it didn't have nearly the OS integration of what was revealed to us yesterday. I for one am looking forward to it.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

18. samcraig macrumors P6

As I posted in a different thread - there are other great voice apps. Clearly they won't be integrated into OS - but they ARE good.

There:

Vlingo
    Dragon Dictation
    Dragon Go!

And one of my faves to play around with - Google Translate - which is pretty spectacular. You can speak English (or almost any language) and it will not only translate it for you into whatever language - but there's a button to listen to how to pronounce it.

19. Kasalic macrumors regular

For you maybe, but I have a customer whose IT we look after, who I know will be on the phone as soon as he hears about this, asking me to get him a 4S for Siri alone. He spends a lot of time travelling and the ability to do the things shown so far hands free will be a real benefit to him.

20. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Exactly, it is the OS integration that makes it look interesting.

21. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

I was kinda bum about it, my dad was hoping it would have speach to text he hates typing on the keyboard and has a hard time spelling at times. Is there an app he could use to do speach to text i know there dragon one but you have to go back and forth on sending it from app to the next app.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

People made the exact same point when Apple introduced video recording on the 3GS, but not the 3G.

IIRC, jailbreaking fixed that, but the 3G was simply incapable of recording at the same framerate that the 3Gs did.

I would imagine Siri is likely to be the same. It'll probably "technically work" on the 4, but nowhere near as smoothly as it does on the 4s. Guess time will tell.

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Nobody said it was new but the development of the technology is absolutely cutting edge and only available from apple

24. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Actually it is. It's RAM and processor prohibiting UI/feature smoothness/speed and in their eyes, user experience. You'll get it on a JB, sure, but it won't be as speedy or smooth.