Siri on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Is it certain that Siri will be on the iPad 3? I think it's nice on the iPhone because all you have to do is speak in the commands in the mic and it does what it does. On the iPad, it may be less convenient to use there is usually a greater distance to mic. I wouldn't mind Siri being on the iPad, but I wonder if it's easier/more convenient to use on the iPhone.

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I talked to SIRI from a distance of three feet if not a tad more without issues. Should be the same with the iPad as well. Mic might be a tad larger than on the iPhone as well. If SIRI is offered, I bet Apple tested this out to make sure all works well. ;)

4. hismikeness macrumors regular

Microphone on iPad 2 works fine from a distance when using FaceTime, should work fine for Siri as well.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It should work fine. I saw a video a while ago about a blind person using SIRI on her iPhone, and it was about 3 feet away from her. She didn't even have to talk facing her iPhone.
    I'm not sure about the microphone quality, but my iPad 1 has a great microphone that I use to record talks in Conventions (sound coming over the sound system) and also rehearsals without using a sound system.

SIRI would be very helpful on the iPad.
    I can foresee it coming to OS X too in the near future.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Someone should ask Siri if she knows of the iPad 3.

7. Mr.DD216 macrumors member

VERY Useful

This is actually my most hoped for upgrade, along with better cameras & of course the retina display. But sure it should be very useful! Remember alot of people do alot of typing on their iPad & not that much with their iPhone & with a feature like Siri they can do it a lot faster. I'm excited for this announcement and the second I get that tweet about Siri... :D

8. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Unlikely but not impossible. Isn't Siri one of the iPhone's biggest selling point(yes, there is also the really good camera, the faster processor, etc.). When you see iPhone 4s commercials, it's often a person who is using siri to search for something. I think this alone would make siri iPhone exclusive. Of course if Apple is nice enough to put Siri on the iPad3 it would be a very welcomed feature.

9. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

[​IMG]

10. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Lol that pic killed me. Also I wouldn't mind having siri on th iPad .

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Question is what would you use Siri for on the iPad?

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What would be cool...

Is if you could open apps using Siri on the iPad3. Think about how that could help folks that are suffering from age related disabilities such as poor eyesight, arthritis, etc.

Took my 4s with me recently when I visited my mother in her assisted care center. She's not that old, but is suffering from Alzheimer's and failing eyesight. She was able to easily hit the home button, pull up Siri, and use it to start calling her grandchildren after two minutes of instruction!

She's eighty miles away, and an ipad3 would be a godsend if I could use it to communicate with her.

13. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Yes, that IS a good question, because I'm not sure. When I use my iPad, I don't use it hands free like I do with my iPhone.

14. snow blind macrumors regular

Sooo, i'm not the only one who could care less if Siri didn't come on the iPad 3? Siri is Apple's Kinect.

15. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

I think it SHOULD rather than should not. Those that do write papers and other similar related tasks might actually find use for it. I say include it and by all means if you don't use it or don't want it, just...Settings > General > Siri > (ON,OFF)

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not to sound like "That Guy", but no one is certain. Honestly, no one is even certain if there will be an iPad 3 and if it will be released in the coming week. It's rumors, conjecture, options, and such. We have enough information that most of us believe an iPad 3 will be released next week, but anyone that tells you they are certain an iPad 3 is on it's way is either lying, ignorant, or is under an NDA and probably won't risk their job to let us all know. That being said, my guess is that Siri will not be on the iPad 3.

17. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What is the liklihood of iOS 5.1 being released when the iPad 3 is announced/released?

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I asked Siri if she will be on the ipad3. She said "I suppose it's possible."

There you have it. It is certain that it's possible Siri will be on the iPad3.

----------

Between 0% and 100%. I'd lean towards the higher end only because 5.1 has been in beta for a while with no GM surfacing AFAIK.

19. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Thanks for clearing that up.

20. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

I guess no one has an answer for this one.

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Siri would be icing on the cake for me. I want the better cameras and the retina display. And if you want to add Siri too, then fine.

----------

I think it's 100% fact that there will be a new iPad next week. I think it's 100% fact at this point that it will have retina. Siri may be a little more iffy.

22. The Loafer macrumors newbie

Good grief:

- Setting up reminders while my hands are busy (doing the dishes perv!)
    - Sending texts while I'm busy doing something else (see above perv!)
    - While forn... er, forget it.

Basically, there are many instances where Siri can come in handy. Siri isn't just a tool for drivers. I do believe though if we can activate Siri via voice command at some point, that will bridge another step towards dependancy so that you could leave the ipad on the counter and no need to hold down a button. That would be a real battery killer though but I can imagine a future Siri 4.0 where:

- Future Siri isn't just integrated into iOS, its also integrated into the apps too, so you could use Siri like Jarvis in the Iron Man movie, for setting the lights, music, calling up stuff on PC, etc.
    - You're doing the dishes, you just say "Siri: where the F is my wife?" and then next thing you know, Siri is using "find my future ex-wives" to track down the wife at her lover(s).

You know, practical stuff...

23. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Is Siri voice activated? I thought you had to press a button to activate it.

24. hoofbite macrumors member

I'm really hoping Siri is in the iPad 3, at the very least a scaled down version.

But if Siri isn't in the iPad3 is some form, then I think it will get out of date quite quickly once the iPhone5 comes out with it.

Siri should not be an iPhone exclusive use.

25. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

There is a "raise to speak" feature in the phone, so something along those lines for the ipad 3 is possible.