Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's sixth OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta, released on Monday, includes a few lines of code that yet again reference the possibility of a forthcoming 4K 21.5-inch Retina iMac, as discovered by Consomac [Google Translate]. A similar occurance happened back in June, when some code in the second OS X El Capitan beta referenced a 4K 21.5-inch iMac screen, but, as yet, Apple hasn't given any word on the veracity of the rumors.

Consomac's research into the code of the new OS X beta found three new files, two of which include screen resolutions that hint at the possible arrival of new 5K 27-inch iMacs, and the other with a 4096×2304 resolution. Like the second El Capitan beta, this code could potentially refer to a 21.5-inch Retina iMac display with 4K resolution coming down the line. Although, as Consomac discovered, an image accompanying the three files points to a design that will largely "remain unchanged" for the new line-up.

imac-display-code-800x569.jpg

Beginning last October, Apple launched a few updates for the 27-inch iMac with Retina Display, but the rest of the iMac line-up hasn't seen a proper upgrade since September 2013. The major reasoning behind the stalled upgrade cycle is the company waiting for Intel's various desktop components -- including the Broadwell and Skylake processors -- to be available for a more substantial update to Apple's smaller-sized desktop computer line-up.

An update to the 21.5-inch iMac line has been hinted at for a while now, including a rumor just yesterday from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that pointed to the iMac line gaining a significant boost this quarter. Kuo points to display improvements with greater color saturation thanks to a few new processors, but never references directly the arrival of a retina display for the 21.5-inch iMac line. Still, the timing with back-to-school shopping swinging into gear, and the lengthy update cycle of the 21.5-inch line-up, definitely suggests an impending update for the model sometime soon.

Article Link: Sixth OS X El Capitan Beta Includes More Hints to 4K 21.5-Inch Retina iMac

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
No standard SSD configuration, no buy.

As 27" Retina only comes with 5400rpm/Fusion on the base models, I'd say this is optimistic (sadly) :(

I bought my iMac when this form factor first came out in 2012. Maxed out the memory and opted for the fusion drive. It works great to this day. Even without retina, it is a really good machine. I also found that the fusion drive really did make things work faster and it was totally seamless. Having a multi-tier storage approach is not uncommon in the corporate world and it really should not be a turn-off in the home.

Reactions: Tsaksonakis

JXShine

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
I bought my iMac when this form factor first came out in 2012. Maxed out the memory and opted for the fusion drive. It works great to this day. Even without retina, it is a really good machine. I also found that the fusion drive really did make things work faster and it was totally seamless. Having a multi-tier storage approach is not uncommon in the corporate world and it really should not be a turn-off in the home.
Fusion drive was a neat idea back in 2012, when SSD prices are still sky high. At the price apple is charging for its fusion drives in 2015, I can purchase a high capacity SSD.
The reality is, fusion drive, albeit faster than HDD alone, is still way slower than SSD.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Agreed, nothing against Fusion.

just checked the specs, the 3.3GHz model comes with a 7200rpm rather than a 5400rpm. My bad, not as poor as I thought it was.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Fusion drive was a neat idea back in 2012, when SSD prices are still sky high. At the price apple is charging for its fusion drives in 2015, I can purchase a high capacity SSD.
The reality is, fusion drive, albeit faster than HDD alone, is still way slower than SSD.

So where is it you're buying 3 TB SSD drives from these days?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
So where is it you're buying 3 TB SSD drives from these days?

Where are you buying 3TB of any kind of drive in the 2.5" form factor these days which is reliable in any way? Everything I've read about the few 3TB spinners is negative negative negative. They're super unreliable. I would rather buy 3x 1TB spinners than 1x 3TB spinner.

Anyone who needs that much storage is better off using an external array of drives for reliability and speed. A good USB3 RAID box is the way to do go if you need 3TB. A 3TB boot drive that also has all your data is a recipe for being very upset very soon.

We are about to reach the density limit of magnetic storage - we can't cram any more data in there. While SSDs are just getting started, and so far the sky is the limit.

Reactions: AleXXXa

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Like to see force touch trackpad and backlit keyboard also.

Absolutely agree, especially the Force Touch Trackpad. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet, but I predicted it wouldn't for a while back when the MBP first came out with it. I suppose it's still early days for it, and Apple may be waiting to see how many people actually use it/if it can be used for anything really new before they commit to it.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
What I want from Apple is not to update all of their computers with SSD's, which would make them less cost effective, but just to optimize their OS. Windows 10 zooms on my HDD iMac and everything opens instantly. I feel that them adding SSD's to the whole line up would just make them lazy when it comes to software.

Reactions: AleXXXa

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
This. I configured my 2013 27" iMac with the 3TB Fusion drive and would do it again if I was buying one today. It is very fast and gives me the storage I need seamlessly.

I have exactly the same iMac as you & it is perfect for me & fast as I need :)

Where are you buying 3TB of any kind of drive in the 2.5" form factor these days which is reliable in any way? Everything I've read about the few 3TB spinners is negative negative negative. They're super unreliable. I would rather buy 3x 1TB spinners than 1x 3TB spinner.

Anyone who needs that much storage is better off using an external array of drives for reliability and speed. A good USB3 RAID box is the way to do go if you need 3TB. A 3TB boot drive that also has all your data is a recipe for being very upset very soon.

We are about to reach the density limit of magnetic storage - we can't cram any more data in there. While SSDs are just getting started, and so far the sky is the limit.

I have programs that only run in Windows. Also Games for those (occasional) times that I have time to play them. A 2TB Fusion Drive would have been perfect, but the choice was 1TB or 3TB & I found 1TB just wasn't enough for both partitions, so here I am. Gotta say, no problems (Touch Wood) with the Fusion Drive to date.

Reactions: Jamalien

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Hmm, maybe I need to consider upgrading my retina iMac allready then. Usually if I wait, it takes ages for the next update to come after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.