Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is testing different Face ID prototypes that would allow a smaller notch to be used in its 2020 iPhones, according to leaker and concept artist Ben Geskin.

2020-iphone-6-7-inch-no-notch.jpeg
Geskin previously created a rough concept to visualize the alleged 2020 iPhone.

Last month, Geskin claimed Apple has prototyped at least one iPhone with a 6.7-inch display and no notch, housing the TrueDepth sensors for Face ID in the bezel above the display instead. Respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also previously reported that Apple intends to introduce a new form factor, which could potentially include a slimmer bezel.

Ben Geskin now claims various Face ID models are being considered, with prototypes using new optics. Some are said to be smaller in width, while some are narrower to fit the sensors in the top bezel.

2020 iPhone prototypes include wider antenna lines (>1mm) for 5G ⚡️Instead of plastic lines it will use a new material (glass, ceramic or sapphire) pic.twitter.com/69z02kSTa8 - Ben Geskin (@BenGeskin) October 22, 2019

Additionally, Geskin claims Apple is revising the antennas on its 2020 iPhones in order to support the forthcoming 5G. Specifically, the prototypes are said to include "wider antenna lines (>1mm) for 5G." These lines will be made of glass, ceramic or sapphire, says Geskin.

Lastly, Geskin reports that Apple eventually wants to do away with the Lightning port and switch to an entirely wireless charging solution, suggesting the company has no plans to adopt USB-C across its iPhones, as some have hoped.

Geskin has shared some accurate information in the past, including details about the iPhone X prior to that device's release, but his track record is not perfect. This rumor should be treated with skepticism until it is corroborated by other sources.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor: Apple's 2020 iPhones to Feature Smaller Notch and Wider Antenna Lines for 5G

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Apple prototyping a smaller notch is pretty much a given at this stage, right? I wonder if this is really anything more than conjecture on Geskin's part. He just seems to court twitter likes with renders and half truths after his initial success with the iPhone X leak

Reactions: waquzy

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
”Lastly, Geskin reports that Apple eventually wants to do away with the Lightning port and switch to an entirely wireless charging solution, suggesting the company has no plans to adopt USB-C across its iPhones, as some have hoped.”

Go ahead. Pull the other one.

If Apple did that I wouldn't buy another iPhone. Simple as that.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
We've seen these sketchy with notch-less iphone for some time...and it is too early to see what Apple have chosen for the 2020 unit...Around March-April Apple set in stone the design

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I’m thinking the 2020 revision will feature 5G and USB-C. Maybe a smaller notch. I think the notchless design will come in the next major revision. I don’t see them eliminating the wired port altogether as wireless charging just isn’t fast or ubiquitous enough. You can’t expect people to carry around a wireless charging pad for charging on the go.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
If Apple did that I wouldn't buy another iPhone. Simple as that.
I would be very upset if they did it, it’s inefficient and not a real solution for now anyway.
I don’t even own a wireless charger other than the Apple Watch adaptor
Edit: Seems unlikely as someone else said they'd have to include a wireless charger which will cost more, and we only just got an 18w charger in the box

Last edited:

macgician

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
I cannot imagine an iPhone without lightning or USB-C port in 2020, while power hungry 5G is being built-in. I am thinking apple will include at least 30W charger with next year's models.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Smaller in what way? Less tall or less wide? Less tall (unless completely eliminated) would be pointless with the current UI: it would still be dead space. Less wide would allow more status items which would be good but would this reduce accuracy (less parallax)?

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
The "end" goal for iPhone has always been to be a like "slab of glass"
As time goes on I think we will see things eliminated as it becomes acceptable (ie. if improvements in wireless charge efficiency/speed are made). I think we are close to;
  • charging port removed in favour of induction
  • SIM tray removed for dual eSIM
  • physical moving part buttons removed for 'haptic' or pressure based buttons
With the potential for;
  • Ear-piece speaker replaced for vibration
Microphone and the loudspeaker are the only difficult ones. Camera can be hidden behind glass.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Here the official statement
“Apple long-term plan is to get rid of the Lightning port for the Wireless charging and data transfer (UWD technology - 480Mbps (USB 3.0) speed at 3 meters”

so for long-term so maybe 2025 !!
[automerge]1571746285[/automerge]
It makes sense to completely get rid of the notch for next year model.
Keep dreaming...it cannot be done...maybe in 2023 or 2024 since now Apple is staying with the same design for 3 years

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I like most of this.

BTW, just found out Verizon charges $10 extra per month for 5G service...don't think I'll be paying that for something that mostly benefits the wireless companies.

Last edited:

JosephKing

Suspended
Oct 14, 2019
I'd like to point out for everyone that the only thing Ben Geskin has ever properly predicted was the iPhone X design, a few months before launch. Everything else is completely made up and then mocked up in a 3D renderer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.