Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
There is news of three X-like models later in the year. The 5/5S/SE design is a special one. It has an iconic image. I strongly doubt the need to innovate with this particular one.

Agreed its a great design, several advantages over the current 8/X design too - but think after 5 years, it getting a bit stale.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
after 5 years, it getting a bit stale.

That thought entered my head. It seems weird that it's the same body from a 2012 phone! Apart from the home button. But, it's an oldie but a goodie. I keep thinking about how timeless it is, like a classic car. But I know things are changing. I just watched the Galaxy S9 video. Big phones have taken over, as cumbersome as they are.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
That thought entered my head. It seems weird that it's the same body from a 2012 phone! Apart from the home button. But, it's an oldie but a goodie. I keep thinking about how timeless it is, like a classic car. But I know things are changing. I just watched the Galaxy S9 video. Big phones have taken over, as cumbersome as they are.

Yep, it's certainly a classic design, but it shouldn't stop a company such as Apple that prides itself on its design prowess to stop refining it. It just comes across as lazy if they don't.

Reactions: MartyvH

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yep, it's certainly a classic design, but it shouldn't stop a company such as Apple that prides itself on its design prowess to stop refining it. It just comes across as lazy if they don't.
It only comes across as lazy for those who want the SE to look like the newer iPhones.
Nearly 2 years later there are people still ragging on the SE's design. And reasoning hasn't changed all that much during that time. The core of the complaint comes down to, "It looks just like a 5S. If I buy the SE people will think it is an old 5S".

Reactions: Tozovac

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’m not particularly buying this one; chip bump and newer camera module, Touch ID 2 and very little else... the dual role of the SE is smaller screen and cheaper, without sacrificing the power. Any significant redesign would push up the cost and probably make the model inviable by eliminating half plus of its audience.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
I'm very happy with my iPhone SE. I see no need for an upgrade. Obviously, that's just me, but the phone is the perfect size for me and continues to work just fine. The feature that pushed me over the top to upgrade from my flip phone was Google Maps. The screen is a bit smaller than my ancient Garmin Nuvi, but it's big enough, always up-to-date, and even knows traffic in real time. And since I've always got my phone with me, I don't need to pack the heavy Garmin when I travel, or pay for NAV in rental cars.

Great phone, still works fine. I'll probably upgrade to an iPhone SE 4 or 5. By then they'll probably have a feature I want badly enough to justify an upgrade. :)
[doublepost=1519599039][/doublepost]
It only comes across as lazy for those who want the SE to look like the newer iPhones.
Nearly 2 years later there are people still ragging on the SE's design. And reasoning hasn't changed all that much during that time. The core of the complaint comes down to, "It looks just like a 5S. If I buy the SE people will think it is an old 5S".

That's an advantage! If people think it's a 5S they're less likely to want to steal it. ;)

Reactions: sracer

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014

Hear hear. This “gotta see something new every three years” attitude and expectation is a curse. Look at the shape of the phone handset on the green phone icon-generally that headset design hadn’t changed in over 50 to 75 years, and how bad off are we from that? Hell, a damn near hundred-year-old looking headset is represented on the phone icon - and why? One reason is because the headset design worked then and its image works now. Why does a damn quarter-inch thick phone need to change more than every five years? Idiocy.

In my opinion, any short-lived happiness from being able to see something new every 12 months in the consumer’s hands is far outweighed by the long-term suffering and frustration with too much change for the sake of change in their software and hardware since 2013, much of it at the virtual obliteration of Apple's prior “it just works” reputation and market advantage. Apple is slowly but surely turning itself into just another Microsoft and Android, thinking it’s being like the Steve Jobs version of Apple but forcing it to not be too much like it. It’s understandable why Microsoft and Android can’t adopt directly Apple’s prior best-in-class UI and balanced hardware design, but it’s beyond me why Timmy and J-Ive completely discarded most of it for whatever crazy reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyvH and sracer

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The iPhone 5 was hands down the best phone every released! I would love an iOS6 comeback.

I wonder how long it will be till we see a return to skillful and intuitive design over the unintuitive minimalist flat design UI we’re currently stuck with, but I would love to see the reaction if the intuitiveness of the UI returned, including obliterating the dumb move towards all-white with light-grey barely-discernible low-contrast text/items and all the “is this a pressable call to action element or not” business. I bet there will be many cries of”wow its sooooo much easier, what an improvement!” and then Tim and Jony will be called even bigger geniuses than they’re mistakenly given credit for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam_S and sracer

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
I think I read somewhere that smartphone sales are slumping across the board because fewer people are upgrading every year. This is neither good nor bad. People are just deciding that their old phone is still perfectly good and does what they want it to. In this, the interest of manufacturers and consumers are at odds: Manufacturers need to sell products to make money, and consumers have to decide how best to allocate their resources among living expenses, tools, discretionary enjoyment, and savings. Money spent on a phone is not available for a vacation. It's one of the basic contradictions of the free market: Companies have to make a profit, even if it wastes resources and hurts the nation as a whole.

Since my first computer, a Kaypro 2X, I've used my electronic gadgets until they quit working or the latest OS they can run is no longer compatible with the rest of the household or the outside world. The SE is my first smartphone and I think it should be good for another 2 to 5 years before it can no longer hold a charge or is just no longer compatible with the world. That's when I'll upgrade, either to a phone with a similar form factor, or to a gadget I have not heard of yet that serves the same basic purposes.

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
The 10X would not be the right SoC to used on an iPhone! It more a graphic intense based chipset.

Thank you. I am not familiar with the differences in chipsets or what made the 10 and 10x different.

I figured it was just a half generation thing but also recall reading it had a graphical upgrade/component the 10 did not.

I have a current iPad Pro and the thing is a champ, I would love to see something similar in an SE. Considering I’d be using it for snapshots, texting, music and a phone I could hold on to it for 5 years.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
The iPhone 5 was hands down the best phone every released! I would love an iOS6 comeback.
The SE form factor is very nice. It firs all I want to do with memory maxed out.
Regarding the breaking news that an Israeli company had announced a service to crack security on iOS 11, does anyone know if the SE is vulnerable, even running 11? From what I’ve read so far, the 6 is not as vulnerable as the 10 and the 6ish SE may also be less vulnerable. I am thinking the “crack” is both hardware AND software dependent.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The SE form factor is very nice. It firs all I want to do with memory maxed out.
Regarding the breaking news that an Israeli company had announced a service to crack security on iOS 11, does anyone know if the SE is vulnerable, even running 11? From what I’ve read so far, the 6 is not as vulnerable as the 10 and the 6ish SE may also be less vulnerable. I am thinking the “crack” is both hardware AND software dependent.

They can crack it for a huge high price and if they have the phone physically (at least this is their claim).
If the police is sending them your phone and is ready to pay $100K -$1M to crack it, I think you got something else to worry about and are likely already in jail or dead.

mmmatcha

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2018
My dream phone is the iPhone X internals in an iPod Touch form factor

I have been with the 6 and 7 since the 5s, but I really miss the days when I didn't have hand cramps all the size. Tried the SE but couldn't accept the crap low light photos.

IMO, the fact that there is an entire market for products meant to help compensate for how difficult it is to hold/use the 6/7/8 indicates that there is a market for a higher end small phone.

I would love the same SE form with just a better camera. In reality, most people don't benefit from faster processing speeds for their general and typical consumption, while the large majority of users DO take lots of photos.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
They can crack it for a huge high price and if they have the phone physically (at least this is their claim).
If the police is sending them your phone and is ready to pay $100K -$1M to crack it, I think you got something else to worry about and are likely already in jail or dead.
LOL

ChartX

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
Someone one here said who would buy it for it's size? Me. I would buy a cell phone based on size. I love the small phones and would buy a iphone SE2 if they can keep it at 5 inches or under with some upgrades...glass back with fingerprint, more battery life, a newer processor, more colors (teal)...
So tired of seeing large phones why not go small. I think Apple has the market on this small phone and if they upgrade it, then it would make a good profit for Apple.
My hand size is just under 6 inches all those huge phones coming out in 2018 are big for me to hold and heavy.
In this cell phone market If Apple could come out with a better small phone it would probably out sell the S9.
Also perfect size for kids...but make a rainbow color one for kids...Or tag it with the name unicorn poop phone! lol...

Reactions: David McCown

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I'm a small female 4'9" so I for one LOVE the small form factor and would hate to see if discontinued. I love me SE and will gladly upgrade to a second version if ones comes out this year.

Reactions: David McCown

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
My dream phone is the iPhone X internals in an iPod Touch form factor

I have been with the 6 and 7 since the 5s, but I really miss the days when I didn't have hand cramps all the size. Tried the SE but couldn't accept the crap low light photos.

IMO, the fact that there is an entire market for products meant to help compensate for how difficult it is to hold/use the 6/7/8 indicates that there is a market for a higher end small phone.

I would love the same SE form with just a better camera. In reality, most people don't benefit from faster processing speeds for their general and typical consumption, while the large majority of users DO take lots of photos.

I don't take a lot of photos. In fact, I hardly ever take photos, and when I do, I use a camera, not my phone. I will admit that phones have awfully good cameras nowadays, but they're still not as good as a decent camera. Clearly, the SE is not for you because you want a phone with a better camera. My iPhone SE takes pictures that are just fine for the very rare occasion when I want to snap a shot and all I have with me is my phone. Like the time there was a deer crossing the street right here in town. Otherwise my phone is for phone calls, for navigation when I'm driving a rental car in a strange city, and though this is totally weird, it's the key for my car. I would NOT want to pay extra for a better camera in my phone. And the SE is the perfect size for me.

David McCown

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2018
I think Apple should have two different SE models! One for the North America market and another for the rest of the world.

SE2 -NA would get 4GB RAM LPDDR5, A12, 1080p screen resolution, state of art camera and 128GB and 256GB storage. sell for $800-$900 U.S.

SE-2 - Intl would get 2GB of LPDDR3, A10, same 720i screen resolution, slightly improve camera and 64GB and 128GB storage. sell for $500-$600 U.S.

I totally agree with you … Size is what counts don’t care about how much it costs (within reason) ... I hope they rolled it out before midyear ... i currently have SE 32GB ... maybe 64GB ... whichever it doesn’t hold all my songs which drives me crazy
[doublepost=1520220801][/doublepost]
Why does the author need to qualify "preferred by a subset of customers" as if its existence needs to be justified. Not everyone has phablet-sized ogre hands or enough elastic in their jeans to hold larger phones.

Lol ... sooo true

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.