Sketchy Rumor Points Towards October 26 Launch for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During WWDC in June, Apple finally confirmed that Amazon Prime Video will launch as an app for Apple TV users sometime "later this year." Since that announcement, a few rumors and theories have predicted launch dates for the app, all of which have subsequently been passed by with no official debut of Amazon Prime Video on the tvOS App Store.

Another sketchy rumor has been shared on the Apple TV Subreddit this week by a user who claims to work for Amazon, pointing towards a late October launch for the app. The user -- AmazonVideoEngineer -- originally created the Reddit account to share a post a few weeks ago, which stated that October 26 would be the "earliest" date that Amazon would launch its app on Apple TV.

[​IMG]

Now, the same user has shared a "quick update" on the app, mentioning that the app is "still on track" for an October 26 debut. AmazonVideoEngineer is "very confident" that this date is "finally the day" Amazon will launch its Apple TV app. Check out both posts below:

Original post:
    New post:
    Because the rumor comes from an unconfirmed Reddit source, this October 26 date should be approached with a heavy dose of skepticism. Previous rumors surrounding Amazon's Apple TV app centered around logical events that the app could have debuted alongside of -- Thursday Night Football, the Amazon hardware event in September -- but October 26 appears to be a somewhat random date.

Since we're now four months out from WWDC and Apple's confirmation of the Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV, we should hopefully hear an announcement of the app's launch date sometime soon.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Points Towards October 26 Launch for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

I won't believe any rumor until that app is in the App Store.

3. triangletechie macrumors member

Their new Fire TV releases on 10/25 so this may be the correct date.

4. alaingarner macrumors newbie

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

It had better come out before Dec 31st, or my ATV4K goes back for a full refund under threat of a class action lawsuit for deceptive sales practices. They've already got me going through 10-14 steps every time I switch over to a 4K HDR movie and back to 1080p get the correct screen format for the best native picture. I'm pretty angry at myself for not sending it back over that within the return window.

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

7. gauspad216 macrumors newbie

Might make more sense than you think. There’s an NFL game that Thursday night that Amazon has streaming rights to. Would be the first Thursday night game this season on Apple TV I believe (unless you have CBS all access).

8. chicagofan00 macrumors regular

You are what is wrong with society today. Suing because a damn app isn’t available? A free app might I add...ridiculous.

10-14 steps to switch resolutions? You are clearly doing something wrong or have the wrong settings on your ATV and TV as I have no issues at all with this.

9. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Out of curiosity, but what's taking them so long in the first place?

10. kingpushup macrumors regular

11. VeryVito macrumors member

VeryVito

I tend to rail against frivolous lawsuits, but in this case, the app WAS promised when the new device was introduced, and it was sold as a big reason for choosing the Apple TV. I think a bait-and-switch lawsuit would be fairly successful if the app were scrapped.

12. ELman macrumors newbie

Free year of Prime with the purchase of the iPhone X

13. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

What has it come to when Amazon is a must have app and can make or break sales for a device lol

14. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I read that thread a week or so ago. It certainly seems plausible from the various things the user speaks about. Having been working in software for a long time it seems pretty familiar :) Hoping it will be on the 26th. I was hoping it would be out earlier.

15. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

The app was promised later this year. When it is released is entirely up to Amazon and not Apple. It is Amazons software and property. The only possible suit would be if Apple promised something to Amazon that they then failed to do or provide. And that would be a suit that only Amazon could file, not the general public.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Neither Apple or Amazon 'promised' a date.

Apple said "later this year."

Amazon said "this year."

[​IMG]

17. batsabode macrumors newbie

batsabode

Who is saying its going to be scrapped! OMG Some of the people on here are the type wanting their Xmas presents on July 4th!

18. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

hoping it gets pushed to older ATV devices too...

19. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

It will be pushed to the ATV4 as it was slated for inclusion in iOS 11 during WWDC.

20. grayskyz macrumors regular

grayskyz

Let me know how that works out for you.

21. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

I tend to agree but how long will it really be before the stores are stocking Christmas supplies in July. It was early September round my way this year.

22. grayskyz macrumors regular

grayskyz

So why did you buy it for a feature that wasn't there at launch? Seems foolish to purchase it for the only feature you wanted and then let it sit there not doing anything right?

23. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

How hard can it be? Release the damn app Amazon!

24. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Really good video offering at a better price point, maybe? One thing I really like about the Amazon video offering, Channels. Add Showtime, HBO, Stars, and more to the app as a Channel. One billing, one app, one login, easy management to add or delete a Channel, competitive pricing. The only missing app, Netflix. For all my Channels, Amazon is the only bill and my only account. No longer do I need multiple accounts to watch the above. This is how Apple should have done TV.

25. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

You've GOT to be kidding me! "PROMISED"? What contract did you sign with Apple guarantying the app would be available to you by the end of the year? SHEESH!