Sketchy Video Shows Possible iPhone SE 2 With Glass Back and Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A video shared on Chinese social media website Sina Weibo this week has possibly revealed a second-generation iPhone SE, but the device could easily be a knockoff, so treat this rumor with a healthy dose of skepticism.

The short clip, which we've reuploaded to YouTube, shows what appears to be an unreleased iPhone SE with a glass back, a design change that would enable support for wireless charging. The rear shell on the current iPhone SE is largely aluminum, with small glass panels along the top and bottom.

Otherwise, the device looks virtually the same as the current iPhone SE, retaining an iPhone 5s-like design with a four-inch display sandwiched between top and bottom bezels housing Touch ID, an earpiece, and a front camera.

The device also retains a 3.5mm headphone jack, despite a report last week claiming it will be removed. It would make sense for Apple to keep it if the new iPhone SE continues to have virtually the same design and thickness, as rumored, but removing it could perhaps lead to improved water resistance.

One other minor difference on the device in the video is the absence of all regulatory labels and text on the rear shell, beyond a single "iPhone" word mark, in line with the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

iPhone knockoffs are common in China, and the source of the video is unclear, so we stress that the footage's authenticity is unconfirmed. One possibility is that the device is an accurate dummy model based on supply chain information, but it's also very possible that this device isn't the real deal.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara, citing accessory makers, recently claimed a new iPhone SE could be released in May. DigiTimes also expects a new iPhone SE in May or June, suggesting the device could be announced via press release next month, or be unveiled during WWDC 2018's opening keynote on June 4.

Last week, Apple filed several unreleased iPhone models with the Eurasian Economic Commission, as legally required, and this action has often foreshadowed product launches. Apple submitted a new tablet to the database in February, for example, and a new 9.7-inch iPad debuted in March.

If history repeats itself, the regulatory filings in April do lend credence to a new iPhone SE debuting next month. However, it's worth noting that Apple has only debuted new products in May twice in the past five years, including the fifth-generation iPod touch in 2013 and a refreshed 15-inch MacBook Pro in 2015.

iPhone SE rumors have been all over the map in recent months, but there is increasing consensus that the device will be powered by an A10 Fusion chip, up to 40 percent faster than the A9 chip in the current iPhone SE.

If there is a new iPhone SE whatsoever, a rumor that KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is skeptical about, Apple is likely most focused on making under-the-hood improvements to the device, as it is now outdated by a few years. At $349, the device is unlikely to adopt an iPhone X-like design or Face ID.

Apple hasn't fully refreshed the iPhone SE since it launched in March 2016, but it did double its available storage capacities to 64GB and 128GB in March 2017. It also dropped the device's starting price to $349 last September.

Article Link: Sketchy Video Shows Possible iPhone SE 2 With Glass Back and Headphone Jack

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’d be tempted to believe had the headphone jack not been there. IMHO, jack = fake.

3. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Bring it, please, even if this is a fake video. Wireless Charging and A11 / sold!

4. alpi123 macrumors regular

alpi123

Y'all dumb. This is a custom housing for the 5S/SE. I've seen the exact same on Instagram. Chinese people are so bored. Plus, this has the headphones jack, the real one would not.

5. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Although if this is meant to appeal to cost conscious consumers, wouldn't it be counter-productive to force them into buying a BT headset?

6. elev8d macrumors 6502

This is more for the market that can't afford bluetooth. It makes sense.

7. true god macrumors member

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Cheap Bluetooth headsets exist. 3.5 is on its way out. I doubt we’ll ever see another iPhone with it.

9. stan1028 macrumors member

stan1028

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Perhaps one of the reasons for the earlier and more-than-normal SKUs is because this SE will have the iPhone 7’s modem, which means Intel vs. Qualcomm for it, too.

11. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

This could be real. Apple's team nowadays is so complacent and expedient, they wouldn't shy from reiterating a 6 year old design.

12. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

That’s not exactly a leak. It’s definitely in the rumor and speculation category.

To qualify as a leak, the hand holding the phone needs to have long fingernails and we need poorer lighting and/or more blur. ;)

13. CrazyForCashews macrumors member

Fake.

The headphone jack gives it away.

But man if the SE 2 had a glass back for wireless charging, AND a headphone jack I'd be there day one. But even if the jack gets axed, I'd still buy it.

14. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

It does, doesn't it.

Anyway, I'm buying if it has the same dimensions as the current SE.
    Just hopefully any possible loss of the headphone jack will be compensated for with something else.

15. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: Why are you on MR then?

16. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Ironically the headphone jack would've made this the best iPhone yet. No way Apple would dare release a cheaper option WITH a headphone jack.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

But here's the thing: Some of us wouldn't mind seeing that 6 year old design again.

Call me whatever you'd want, but I love the size and format of the current SE.

19. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I look forward to a "sketchy" video that shows Siri being worth a damn.

20. Jakewilk macrumors member

21. otternonsense, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I don't entirely disagree. For me this is also the ideal handset size and form factor. But to leave it unchanged to such a degree after 6 years, from a company with virtually unlimited budget and innovation potential, is f--ing lazy to a fault. Give it a full-front display at least, and it will sell out like Coachella early bird tickets.

22. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

I think it’s possible to cut the back of a current iPhone SE and replace it with a white sheet of glass, but it’s not easy to remove the audio jack hole.

23. shiseiryu1 macrumors 6502

I want the same size as my SE but a larger screen. If it’s just a processor bump and wireless charging then I guess I’ll be holding off of my purchase for another year.

Hate it all you want ya’ll but you have to know that eventually every iPhone model will get the “notch” treatment. I just wish for the SE to do it now not next year.

24. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Touchè! :D

25. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Looks like a Chinese clone. Power it on, really show it off if it's legit.