Sketchy Video Shows Possible iPhone SE 2 With Glass Back and Headphone Jack

AppleFan78

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
You do realize the 8s and X don't have regulatory writing on them, don't you? The only thing on the back of my former 8 Plus and my current X is "iPhone." That's it.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This could be real. Apple's team nowadays is so complacent and expedient, they wouldn't shy from reiterating a 6 year old design.
Why fix what isn't broken?

But here's the thing: Some of us wouldn't mind seeing that 6 year old design again.

Call me whatever you'd want, but I love the size and format of the current SE.
This.

I don't entirely disagree. For me this is also the ideal handset size and form factor. But to leave it unchanged to such a degree after 6 years, from a company with virtually unlimited budget and innovation potential, is f--ing lazy to a fault. Give it a full-front display at least, and it will sell out like Coachella early bird tickets.
Aside from turning it into an iPhone SE X, I don't want them to change the design. The 4 and 5 designs are timeless. And without changing the dimensions, you can keep using your favorite accessories. When I bought my SE, it took me ages to track down the same cases that I previously had and wanted to use again. This time around when I sold my SE to make room for the upcoming SE, I hung on to all of my cases.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Although if this is meant to appeal to cost conscious consumers, wouldn't it be counter-productive to force them into buying a BT headset?
Cost conscious consumers most likely simply use the included Lightning earbuds or if they are willing to spend some money on better or larger headphones won't mind using the included adaptor at the tip of their headphones' cable.

The notion that the headphone jack-less iPhones force people to buy Bluetooth headphones is a essentially a lie some people keep telling themselves because it is the most evil explanation as to why the jack is gone (and thus the worst insult they can throw at Apple to deal with their disappointment at the removal of the jack). After repeating it often enough, they might actually start to believe their own lie.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Why fix what isn't broken?
The screen is rather outdated in terms of brightness, colour gamut, black levels and parallax issues (thickness of cover glass + any gaps between it and the actual screen). Ditto for other front-facing elements like the FaceTime camera, loudspeakers and TouchID sensor. Dust and moisture protection is also at a level the top-level iPhone had five years ago.

Reactions: otternonsense

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I wish the iPhone SE wasn't such a second class citizen. A lot of people like this size. Not sure if I could go back though, even if it was flagship. The other day when my wife was driving she gave me her SE to text several people some changing plans. I was fumbling around so hard trying to type on that narrow display. It really surprised me.

To be completely honest I wish they hadn't increased the height of the display on the iPhone X when they removed the bezels. They should have kept it nearly the same (maybe an extension for the notch) and reduced the overall height and weight. Though that wouldn't make the notch optional for video and would shorten battery life. Maybe someday we can get a notchless, ~5", 16:9 iPhone, but I doubt it. Would be cool if such a device unfolded into a ~10" tablet, though.

Reactions: trellus

Crow_Servo

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
America
I want the same size as my SE but a larger screen. If it’s just a processor bump and wireless charging then I guess I’ll be holding off of my purchase for another year.

Hate it all you want ya’ll but you have to know that eventually every iPhone model will get the “notch” treatment. I just wish for the SE to do it now not next year.
I doubt they’re going to start releasing a new SE every year. If you skip this year’s possible release, you’ll be waiting another two years for another refresh, if they decide to refresh it again.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
To some of us it isn’t outdated. It’s square, so easier to hold than every iPhone since the 6. It has a smaller screen to power, so the battery life is amazing. A day and a half easy on 10.3.3, a full day still on iOS 11+. I can ride my bike and text with one hand, view webpages, browse Spotify. There is something to be said for one-handed use for me. The design was just better I don’t care how old it is.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Ironically the headphone jack would've made this the best iPhone yet. No way Apple would dare release a cheaper option WITH a headphone jack.
A headphone jack would make it the best iPhone yet? Never mind the new technology built into the X. Just the headphone jack?
[doublepost=1524753123][/doublepost]Are people still griping about the headphone jack missing? Come on people move on!!! Are these sample people complaining that you can’t get CDs anymore? Times change move the $&@! On.

otternonsense

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Nobody is forced to buy a Bluetooth headset. All iPhones come with wired earbuds in the box.
You are forced to buy a second headset, bluetooth or not (assuming you don't have one already). Or, you can try sticking those lightning earphones to your Mac. Go on. I'll watch.

Reactions: H818H

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I'm still using a 6 Plus. I'd totally be into getting a new SE if it was a little bigger than the old SE but not as big as the plus handsets.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
You are forced to buy a second headset, bluetooth or not (assuming you don't have one already). Or, you can try sticking those lightning earphones to your Mac. Go on. I'll watch.
Why is it Apple's job to give you headphones that work with something other than the phone you bought? Also, you can purchase headphones for about $5.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
You do realize the 8s and X don't have regulatory writing on them, don't you? The only thing on the back of my former 8 Plus and my current X is "iPhone." That's it.
They have "Designed in California" and "Assembled in China" plus two 'regulatory' symbols on the back (CE + crossed-out trashcan).

Reactions: HacKage

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Sure, if you've already invested in good quality earphones or cans, that's exactly what you wanna do, revert to the stock Apple buds or use the adapter that decreases audio quality and gets lost in no time. Brilliant.
Ok, but the headphone jack isn't coming back. Just like the floppy drive and CD drive are not coming back.

Reactions: manu chao

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Sure, if you've already invested in good quality earphones or cans, that's exactly what you wanna do, revert to the stock Apple buds or use the adapter that decreases audio quality and gets lost in no time. Brilliant.
The D/A converter in the adaptor is really so much worse than the D/A converter in previous iPhones? And headphone jacks are pretty tight, plugging the adaptor onto the end of their headphone cable should keep it pretty secure and hard to loose.

Reactions: trellus

otternonsense

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Why is it Apple's job to give you headphones that work with something other than the phone you bought? Also, you can purchase headphones for about $5.
It’s the very least logical to offer an accessory that works with the other devices in the same brand ecosystem.

Apple devices used to have such interoperability and elegance, now it’s a disparate collection of SKUs that share the same photo library.