Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
I recently noticed by wrist feeling uncomfortable while I was watching TV on the couch and immediately took it off and noticed a circular red sore area which, over the next 24 hours, had some mild scabbing. It is sensitive to touch but not itchy. Anyone had an experience like this? It's an Apple Watch Series 7 in the larger face of the two sizes.

This was last Wednesday—it's still visible today, Friday, too.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6091.jpeg
    IMG_6091.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 1,195
Reactions: abusbey3

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Looks like a watch rash to me. Are you wearing the watch too tightly that sweat and moisture can't evaporate away? Could try wearing it a little looser (should be able to barely move your pinky finger between the band and wrist). I had to go with the smaller watch since my wrist was always moist with the larger one for some reason.

Or how long have you had the S7? Maybe you are allergic to one of the materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Looks like a watch rash to me. Are you wearing the watch too tightly that sweat and moisture can't evaporate away? Could try wearing it a little looser (should be able to barely move your pinky finger between the band and wrist). I had to go with the smaller watch since my wrist was always moist with the larger one for some reason.

Or how long have you had the S7? Maybe you are allergic to one of the materials.
I've worn it daily since it came out, prob going on two years. Never had this happen before. I've worn Apple Watches for years and always at the correct tightness and never had this happen before. It wasn't moist nor was I sweating.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I recently noticed by wrist feeling uncomfortable while I was watching TV on the couch and immediately took it off and noticed a circular red sore area which, over the next 24 hours, had some mild scabbing. It is sensitive to touch but not itchy. Anyone had an experience like this? It's an Apple Watch Series 7 in the larger face of the two sizes.

This was last Wednesday—it's still visible today, Friday, too.

Thanks
Clean it, rinse under water and use some dish soap, or use an alcohol wipe. If that doesn’t fix it, go see a doc.
If you’re afraid to wash it with soap, I shower with my watch every day and clean under the band with soap to get off any sweat from workout, not an issue with any of my watches in 3+ years doing this

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Clean it, rinse under water and use some dish soap, or use an alcohol wipe. If that doesn’t fix it, go see a doc.
If you’re afraid to wash it with soap, I shower with my watch every day and clean under the band with soap to get off any sweat from workout, not an issue with any of my watches in 3+ years doing this

I do this too. And since I wear it when I work out I clean the watch and band with alcohol once every couple of weeks too.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I do this too. And since I wear it when I work out I clean the watch and band with alcohol once every couple of weeks too.
I don’t recall ever using alcohol wipes, but if I were experiencing a rash I would definitely do that, easy to catch some crap under the watch that can cause issues

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I go with the others and suggest you give it a full bath as it sound like something got on it that is irritating your skin.

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
I only get the itch when my wrist is damp/wet from washing my hands. It doesn't happen often thankfully, but when it does, I take off my watch and dry it out, and my wrist. It seems to help. But yeah, definitely see a doc if it bothers you for too long.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
I had the same issue a couple of Apple watches ago. I called Apple, they asked me to share a lot of information, send pictures… several calls telling me that engineers were analyzing my case as the Watch could be damaged…. After 2 months they stopped calling me and I gave up. So no explanation at all from Apple, I just kept using the Watch and didn’t happens again.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My daughter couldn’t wear the watch. She kept getting a burning/tingling. She could wear the watch no problem with it turned off. The sensations were only when it was on her wrist and turned on. She tried several different watch bands with no success. She ended up returning the Apple watch and went with a FitBit and has had no issues with that.

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
My daughter couldn’t wear the watch. She kept getting a burning/tingling. She could wear the watch no problem with it turned off. The sensations were only when it was on her wrist and turned on. She tried several different watch bands with no success. She ended up returning the Apple watch and went with a FitBit and has had no issues with that.
She must be allergic to one of its materials. Glad the FitBit is working out for her.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I had a very similar looking reaction to the silicone band. I had to switch to a sport loop. If you search for "allergic" in the title of threads you'll see others with the same issue. There are more than one possible explanation, but it could be a for of dermatitis.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
There are lots of allergies/sensitivities recorded, in general, as well as vitamin deficiencies that can cause rashes. However, after reading the previous AW rash threads, to me, cleaning appears to be the most overlooked/misunderstood/unbelievable (i.e. in denial) aspect/culprit.

I clean my watch at least once daily. If only light activities (e.g. little to no sweating), I often just use an unused dishcloth/towel and steam (i.e. breath). Otherwise, it’s a wipe down with 50 - 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Apple said:
Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my Apple Watch?
Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe, 75 percent ethyl alcohol wipe, or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the exterior surfaces of your Apple Watch and your Solo Loop, Sport Band, Nike Sport Band, or metal band. Don't use on fabric or leather bands. Don't use products containing bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Avoid getting moisture in any openings, and don’t submerge your Apple Watch in any cleaning agents.

Admittedly, I often have at least a little redness where the sensor dome makes contact, but there’s no irritation or longstanding appearance. Furthermore, I do not wear the watch while sleeping, which allows several hours for the skin to ‘breath’, etc. The tightly pressed sensor dome creates non-ideal (longterm) conditions for skin, although, ideal conditions for some unhelpful growths.

@gotohamish Your problem is probably:
easy to catch some crap under the watch that can cause issues
I go with the others and suggest you give it a full bath as it sound like something got on it that is irritating your skin.
Even though you mention not having problems before, this could be the “perfect storm” situation.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I had the same issues when I weared AW just after a bath without proper drying the skin.

As mentioned before - solid silicone bands also made rushes due to sweat accumulation. When I switched to nylon / material with braided - the problem disappeared.

Reactions: appleiPhUser12

robsquarepants

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
I just found out I have squamous cell carcinoma on my wrist. It is curiously in almost the exact same spot as others who have posted pics with the same cancer (near where the bottom left corner of an Apple Watch 5 would sit).

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I just found out I have squamous cell carcinoma on my wrist. It is curiously in almost the exact same spot as others who have posted pics with the same cancer (near where the bottom left corner of an Apple Watch 5 would sit).

Did you just diagnose strangers with cancer based on images on the Internet?

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.