Skipping iPhone 7, waiting for the 2017 version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Aug 26, 2016.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I've upgraded every 2 years since the iPhone was released in 2007. I look forward to the new product announcement then usually get one on release day. I really don't care this year. I rather wait for the totally redesigned model next year. I wonder if iPhone 7 sales will be low because people will be waiting.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't make any decisions until the phone is announced. That said, I'm sure plenty of people will be buying it at launch.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

unless I'm wowed and I won't take the guy's advice that "wooooooo"s after every sentence in the keynote, i may be skipping it if the leaks are true. we won't know for sure until the keynote though. my iP6 still works and looks perfect.

4. Dave245 macrumors 603

I will buy the iPhone 7, then if the iPhone 8 or whatever they call it is a good update, I will buy that one and probably sell my 7.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

think i would still upgrade if

camera is great
    space black
    water resistant

and providing they give us something else we don't know about. If those things don't happen will stick with 6s plus

6. chabig macrumors 601

I'll take you at your word.

This statement is not consistent with the first, if you've been skipping releases.

Whatever. It's your money. If all you care about is outward appearances, skip models whenever you want to.

No, sales will be record breaking. What do you think people are waiting for?

7. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

I still think there will be that one hook line and sinker feature we haven't heard about yet that will reel people in. Anyways, I'll upgrade if they don't nerf the smaller version this year, which has been a pretty annoying trend the past couple of releases.

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Can anybody tell me when was the last time Apple announced a hook line and sinker feature that we didn't hear about before it's released ?

9. BenoftheDead macrumors newbie

I'm on the fence. My 6 plus is suffering from the Touch Chip thing with the gray bars at the top, but a slight twist fixes it. I'm going to try and hold out for next year, but I dunno if my phone will last.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...phone-7-and-wait-for-2017-to-upgrade.1980702/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/everyone-saying-theyll-skip-the-iphone-7.1980759/

11. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I am going to wait for the anniversary iPhone and skipping this year's Booooring iPhone.i have my iPhone 6s plus from launch date and it's doing well and seems healthy enough to survive one more year, so save money this year

12. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yes, I am on the 6sPlus, I see no reason to upgrade for that much money to the 7, plus, I can't afford it at the moment, and my contract won't be up until October next year. The 8 is nice, but if it's a full redesign etc, maybe it's what I could consider a first gen of it's type, like the 6 is to the 6s, and I rather skip that and get the most out of my 6sPlus for another 6 to 9 months and then get the 8s. Gives me enough time to save up money for it and invest in the 256g option.

13. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

There are already a dozen threads on this subject.

Yes, a lot of people are going to skip the iPhone 7 because the iPhone 6 was such a good product.

BJ

14. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Getting 2016 and 2017 - excited! Couple more weeks until we get to see it.

15. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

I currently have a 6S Plus that I purchased outright on launch day. I was anticipating starting the upgrade program with this year's iPhone, but it seems like it might not be enough of an upgrade to start paying every month. For now I think I'll hold off on upgrading, unless Apple pulls something out of their hat in a couple of weeks!

16. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I have the iPhone 6s and will be waiting for the complete redesign iPhone 8.

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I was appalled to read about that. I had replaced my 6Plus as soon as the 6SPlus was released because my 6Plus was just not very good. It lagged. It glitched. I never warmed up to it and decided I would stick to the S cycle from that point onward. But now the IPhone 7 looks like an even further refinement of an S cycle model in some respects. My 6S Plus has been excellent.

If I were in your shoes and wanted to stick with Apple and the larger phone, I'd either go for a 6S Plus on a discount or the iPhone 7. I'm not sure I would trust an entirely newly designed iPhone 2017 model at this point. It's rumored to be their first foray into OLED and an all glass design combined into the equation, so who knows how that will get screwed up. After reading about how Apple is handling this Touch Disease problem and censoring discussion about it on their support forum, I'm not as confident in them as I once was. I didn't ever think they would let quality or support and service slide for their cash cow.

That's their poor design causing problems for their customers who paid hard earned money and a premium for the Apple name and reputation. If they can spend billions on some Uber-like venture in China or invest in some crappy reality tv program, they can make this right for their customers without being slapped with a class action lawsuit.

18. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Every iPhone i ever got was always set up as new and never once had any hiccups.
    Have a Note 7 now not too pleased.

19. 2IS macrumors 68030

I'm in the same boat. The combination of this being the least exciting iPhone release in history and AT&T doing away with their 2 year upgrade cycle means I'm hanging on to this phone for another year.

20. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

I Suggested Let's both get the Note 7.
    My Wife was no way.
    She loves her iMessage, Facetime and other stuff syncing without a hitch with our Mac's.
    She used my Note 7 and said, I like my ios stress free.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

My 6Plus was set up as new. It was just lemony. Another forum member and I were experiencing the same odd problems. That happens sometimes. My Note 7 is great but a lot of people are having problems with theirs, especially if they used Smart Switch. And some just got lemons. Luck of the draw. My 5s was buggy for a time, but I think that was a software problem on one of the iOS upgrades. The hardware itself was solid.

The 6 series and the 6S series look identical on the outside but they fixed design and materials issues on the 6Ses after noting where they went wrong on the 6 and 6Plus. There is just that weird corrosion issue going on with some people's 6s and 6S Pluses. But at least the phones that are affected by that are still usable and it seems to be just some people as opposed to the widespread ticking time bomb of Touch Disease. This "Touch Disease" issue renders a phone unusable after awhile. Apple had that learning curve to go through when they made that leap to phablet sized phones. They've had a lot of time now to refine the design for the IPhone 7. I think it's got the potential to be a very solid phone.

I can't wait to see the new cameras being demo'd and reviewed. I think my iPhone SE and 6S Plus take photos that are just as good as that of my Note 7 in many circumstances, though different. Sometimes they even get some better looking pics. Any improvement to the camera at this point is going to push them to the top. The only thing that dampens my enthusiasm is that Live Photos aren't easily shared outside of the Apple ecosystem, as compared to the same motion photo feature on Samsung which is easily shared as a video clip.

22. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh yeah... I forgot about that. My next iPhone will be the first upgrade that I pay full price for. No more 2 year discount! :(

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I would imagine a lot of people couldn't care less for the iPhone 8 (2017) as much as those that do care for this year's iPhone 7. I care. I'm waiting forward to the "REDESIGN" of the iPhone.

24. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Sounds like someone hated Android, loved iPhone but dumped it. A bit suspicious...

25. asears82 macrumors newbie

asears82

My iPhone 6 has served me well for the past two years, but I think I am going to upgrade primarily to get a larger screen. If next years model is as impressive as we all hope, I will probably upgrade again next year as well, but I typically try to keep my devices for two years.