So, who's gonna decline on the iPhone 7 and wait for 2017 to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drewjonn, Jul 1, 2016.

1. drewjonn macrumors regular

All these speculations regarding the lack of innovations on the very forthcoming iPhone, I've been impatient on waiting for the 7 to come, but the 2017 redesign might pull me off and keep waiting for another year.

If it's true that the iPhone 7 is just a warmup for the major redesign coming in 2017, then I'll definitely wait and instead grab the next iPad Pro which may be released either November or next spring.

Faster processor, better camera, and slightly thinner design might not worth the extra 900 bucks spent, at least for me.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Give m wife my upgrade and take her upgrade in 17.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I can't wait another year. I'm itching hard to dump my 6. The 7 will have many things I want.

- 3D Touch

- Taptic Engine, runor being a flush non physical Home button that will be 3D/Force Touch similar to how new Force Touch Mac trackpads are.

- much improved A10 chip over the A8 that's in my 6.

- With the newer chip brings two things. Always On "Hey Siri" and Raise to a Wake that's coming with iOS 10.

- I'm in the small few who will actually admit they are for the headphone jack removal.

- Between the headphone jack and new (no moving parts) home button it's said that it will be a lot more water resistant, perhaps even proof.

- Mystery iOS feature that is always revealed when they announce the new iPhone that is specifically only on that new phone.

And then I will probably get next years phone, because it's rumoured major redesign and OLED. (Will be the first time I'll upgrade back to back years.)

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I will surely skip this year and wait for next year. But I will likely skip all future iPhone altogether if they ditch headphone jack in this iPhone 7.

5. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I doubt I'll skip this year. I'll most likely get the 7, but if not, I'll get the 6s Plus for cheap and wait a year. I'm actually contemplating this right now, since I can get a brand new in box 64 GB 6s Plus for $660 compared to the $1000 I'll spend to get the 7 Plus + Case + Screen Protector.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

And what will you do in a few years when nearly every smartphone doesn't include a headphone jack? (Android side has already started to make the move as well with the Motorola Moto Z and Z Force. And this is already before the iPhone 7 is available.)

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'll wait to see what the next iPhone offers to see if it ✔️'s my wants and needs boxes.

If not then maybe take a year away from iPhones and look at the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge, which has caught my eye.

8. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I will most likely wait as I got my 6s in January of this year. Plus I use a SE for work and it is pretty good.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Simple: goes back to dump phone era and use iPad to listen to music.
    I will only change when there is almost no device with headphone jack, or there is no headphone I can afford have headphone jack.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'll be waiting as well. My 6S is doing just fine.

11. Belgique macrumors member

Belgique

Gee....why not wait until 2020 with iPhone 10 comes out.?

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I'll wait until the announcement but considering that my contract is up for renewal this year it's a no brainer to get the 7 plus even if it is only a modest upgrade from my 6S plus.

13. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

I will wait for my the major upgrade of iPhone 8

14. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

I Just started the upgrade program on my 6S plus.. But I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade to the 7.. Just not excited about it so far.

15. Azzurro macrumors regular

16. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

As usual, I'll wait for the announcement then decide. I would want IP68, fast charging and minimum 32GB to upgrade.

17. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

Because as I have mentioned in my first post, the next generation will be lacking upgrades meanwhile Apple is preparing for a huge one for next year. Please learn to read before you drop your comment.

18. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

I will go out on a limb and wait until I know what the phone actually entails before making any type of decision.

19. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Im a little disappointed that the 7 won't be a huge refresh, but my 5s just isn't cutting it anymore. The performance is spot on with hardly any lag, but the screen size is just too small for me, and the battery life is getting bad. I still last a day, but under heavy usage I'll have to plug in. I think anyone with a 5s and below the 7 will be a great upgrade.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I'm still quite satisfied with my 6. Nothing about the 6s tempted me to upgrade, and so far nothing I'm hearing about the 7 is a must have feature. But as a sensible human being, I of course will wait until the phone actually debuts to make a decision, rather than make up my mind based on speculation.

21. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Unless they release some amazing surprise, this will be the first year since the first iPhone that I won't upgrade. My 6S is great and I can't see what this year will bring that will make the 6S obsolete. Now if work wants to pay for it I'll gladly take it but I don't see that happening since they will be providing me with a phone in the next 2 weeks. I will more than likely wait till next year even with TMO's awesome upgrade system.

22. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

However, if this trend follow, which is highly likely, then what he said is not entirely wrong.
    2017 would be 10th anniversary indeed. But after then? 2020? That would be another major redesign.

I have read your post before replying though. :p

23. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

This is a totally different case. I just don't think it's that hard to understand completely since I'm using English here.

Just to clarify, what I'm saying is that we know the upcoming iPhone would not have enough new features to be worth the money, meanwhile we know that they're preparing something big for their 10th anniversary, so why not just wait for another year?

To simplify, we upgrade when we see reasons to, and for me it would be things such as redesign or something different.

24. 2015Girl macrumors regular

2015Girl

I am!! Moms making me stay with the iPhone 5c.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think the 2019 will be a lot better upgrade.
    But then again why not wait another year till 2020 to see what that might bring;)