Everyone saying they'll "skip" the iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Batman89, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Let's be real :)

Just about everyone here on this forum will watch the Keynote that Tuesday, live or afterwards, watch highlights of it, decline to purchase it the following Wednesday (too similar to the 6S, the 6 they own still works great, etc), start to think about how great it is on Thursday, and end up pre-ordering it on Friday.

I've seen this pattern on this Forums. The 7 will be sold-out and many on this forum will have it in hand 2 weeks after it's announced.

It's just funny to me reading these posts saying they won't purchase it without yet having seen the actual product's presentation and it's features, just molds and cases.

Especially funny because we all know what's going to end up happening in the end. ;)

2. I7guy macrumors G5

There seems to be a general "I already have the specs in my head" train of thought. Better processor, gpu, better camera, no headphone jack...not worth the upgrade. I'm thinking Apple has a few surprises and I hope I am right.

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Anyone who knows anything about technology knows the iPhone 7 is the One To Skip. Some people have plenty of income and dropping $800 each year on a new phone is no big deal. And there are millions of people who know nothing about the technology business and will gobble up the iPhone 7.

I am budgeting for a new 2017 Hybrid car so Its an expense I need to skip.

Problem is this is a huge gamble for Apple. They have deliberately left the form factor and design untouched. It reminds me of a 1980's story article of a computer company whos CEO said at the launch of a new PC in 1980 wait til you see next years model its gonna be twice as good. Guess what no one bought the model they were launching and they went out of business before the next year.

That is Apples situation they won't go out of business but 2017 is the iPhones' 10 Year Anniversary and anyone who follows technology knows they are gonna come out with an OLED iPhone Pro and even some special 10th Anniversary Limited Editions with special engraving and Packing that will make people Crazy. These will re-sell for thousands on ebay. No one will care about the iPhone 7 from 2016

Everyone will want the 2017 10th Anniversary iPhone Pro. (So will I)

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've skipped plenty of shiny new products because they simply didn't offer enough to be worth my while. I won't make a firm decision until it actually debuts, but the 7 wouldn't be the first iPhone that I've passed on and certainly won't be the last.

5. BeeGood, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's an interesting perspective, but I would say that anyone who knows tech knows how the rumor mill goes. There are still plenty of unknowns out there to swing the 7 from a "meh" upgrade to a solid one.

But even if every single rumor is true, and we do in fact know everything there is to know about the iPhone 7, I think this is actually the best year for Apple to phone it in. The 6S lacks for nothing, and still compares very favorably to current android phones despite the fact that it is approaching a year old.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

I think I'll skip this one for sure. If not for the huge spec upgrade over the 6 Plus and how annoying the refreshing apps and lag was on it I would've skipped the 6s Plus.

I'll definitely watch the keynote but I have zero complaints with the 6s Plus so I'm sure I'll skip the 7 regardless of what Apple does.

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I always wait a few months before buying a new phone. This allows me to learn about problems before the purchase. I have been known to skip some models simply because my current model is working sufficiently for my needs.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Definitely skipping. Apple has to work on their software quality control and fast. I couldn't care less about the new bells and whistles for the iPhone because I rarely use them. While a better camera would be nice (since I am finally starting to use that), I can roll with my 6s for some time to come.

9. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Since I have the 6S, and the 7 will only have some upgrades that are normal each year (CPU/Camera a bit upgraded, etc) I can wait for the iPhone 8 major update to spend my money on. If one has an older model, or cash to burn, they might want to upgrade. If the 7 blows me away, than yes I will think about it, but no rumors thus far give me hope....None

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I have the 6 now and felt no need to get the 6S. My wife had the 4S before finally having to upgrade to the SE. If current leaks prove true, I'll most likely wait until 2017 to upgrade. Oh, and kid #2 is arriving in November, and having kids isn't cheap.

11. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Millions of people will buy it. Many won't :)

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Billions.

13. Azzurro macrumors regular

Let's all get one and enjoy it within the 14-day return period.

14. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Use or abuse - I call it use

15. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I am currently using the se as my daily driver, but have a 6s and 6s Plus as well. I'm not sure I'm upgrading to the 7 this year... I like the iPhone se and if I need a bigger screen I have the 6s Plus to go to...

16. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Three new iPhones? lol

17. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree 100%. This keeps happening over and over and over again. I for one will be purchasing the iPhone 7 because....... it is a brand new iPhone. Just like many many many of the people on this forum. We really don't need amazing reasons to upgrade. We want the latest and greatest. Also don't forget that Apple is a great salesman. As techies we don't need too much selling to upgrade.

18. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

I feel like constant waiting is somewhat stressful. Justifying everything about a future purchase is convoluted, but I do understand it's an expensive acquisition.

I have a 6 and will be getting the 7.

19. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I bought an iPhone 5 in early 2013.

Skipped the 5s. Skipped the 6. Skipped the 6s too. Then the SE went on sale and I thought I might upgrade, but it was never in stock so I just gave up looking for one after 2 months.

What's going to happen? I stopped giving a…. I'll buy a new phone when my refurb 5 breaks or Apple drops iOS security update support.

20. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

You are right. But this happens every single year lol. I'm basing this next statement on zero facts but I feel like the carriers have succeeded and gotten a lot of people onto these upgrade every year plans. Therefore the cost at least seems like a very low barrier.

21. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

This reason of not upgrading, I understand. It seems to me you didn't upgrade, but not because you were playing the Rumors & Waiting Game.

22. zone23 macrumors 68000

I might, since I have jump! can't see a reason not too other than I currently have a 6S and a 6S+. I would probably just get a regular 7 not the plus.

23. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well the Plus my fiancée is using now, but the 6s is absolutely collecting dust. I don't know what I'll do with them ... It was pretty idiotic on my part TBH

24. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

lol

Sell before the 7 comes out. :)

25. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Going to pick up the regular iPhone 7 currently i am using iPhone 6s plus nothing wrong with it else than its bulky size