Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Anyone else see Skyfire in the appstore or on iTunes this morning? My colleague just tried to read reviews and it wasn't there (for me either)

Interesting....

Come on man...read the thread. :p (they should update the news story as well)

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
FYI. It does work with the live uStream feed of Twit.tv. But it takes eons to load even over WiFi (I'm on a 3G). Though sometimes the audio and video are out of sync.

As mentioned, this works nothing like Windows Mobile 6.5 Skyfire, which renders everything in place on my old HTC Fuze and quickly at that.

Also, the font size of most sites is scaled for the eyes of a 12 year old and is not adjustable, yeah even after double tap zooming it's still small.

Gotta say, it needs work.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
So to everyone who got it. Would you say it was a waste? Seems like people who know what flash is say its super terrible. And people who just want to watch southpark say its good.

I was psyched about getting it. But id imagine if it was still in the App store it would have 1 star. So i guess ill wait til it drops to free.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
So to everyone who got it. Would you say it was a waste? Seems like people who know what flash is say its super terrible. And people who just want to watch southpark say its good.

I was psyched about getting it. But id imagine if it was still in the App store it would have 1 star. So i guess ill wait til it drops to free.

Get yourself a burger. You will enjoy it more than this app. It is a waste of money. It doesn't work well and I believe this is a conceptional issue with this app. They want to transcode flash videos and send them as H.264 video to your device. This technology cannot scale well and it will fail (has already failed).

Last edited:

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Get yourself a burger. You will enjoy it more than this app. I is a waste of money. It doesn't work well and I believe this is a conceptional issue with this app. They want to transcode flash videos and send them as H.264 video to your device. This technology cannot scale well and it will fail (has already failed).

With all due respect, you are uninformed. As you stated, you are using a beta OS version, so Skyfire doesn't work for you. On what do you base your trashing the app?

As far as the concept being flawed, it works great on Android and on WM, and it has been very popular on those platforms.

Skyfire generally works fairly well, and at this point, it's the only option for someone on iOS to view Flash videos. So, for many, it will be worth the $3.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
With all due respect, you are uninformed. As you stated, you are using a beta OS version, so Skyfire doesn't work for you. On what do you base your trashing the app?

As far as the concept being flawed, it works great on Android and on WM, and it has been very popular on those platforms.

Skyfire generally works fairly well, and at this point, it's the only option for someone on iOS to view Flash videos. So, for many, it will be worth the $3.

I do not use a beta OS. iOS 4.2 is final,, just not officially released. It isn't a beta version. I guess you are misinformed.

Skyfire works very differently on Android and Windows Mobile and that is why it works better. On the iphone they tried to overcome all the limitations imposed by Apple by creating this transcoding based solution. So, before you tell me that I am not well informed, I suggest you try to learn a few things about the products and technologies involved.
Also, the issues I had on my iPhone, were exactly the same as with all other people that run iOS 4.1. Skyfire could for most of the websites with flash content, not recognize flash content, or even if it did, couldn't play it or it was very slow.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Do you think Skyfire has the capacity to transcode and serve video without going into red at lifetime revenue of just $2.99/user?

I strongly suspect one of the followings: the service will be discontinued, the company will go out of business, or transcoding will be an in-app purchase for x-number of month.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Downloaded it .... Too damn slow, it sucks. steve was right.

You cant say that! Skyfire tries to transcode the videos. If we had native flash support, there wouldn't be a need for such a technique. I am not saying that flash on a mobile device is good. There is not a single good implementation of flash on any mobile device at the moment. Even on Android it is a hit or miss. Having said that and even if I don't really care about it, it would be nice if we had the option to turn flash on or off (the default setting should be off).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am not saying that flash on a mobile device is good. There is not a single good implementation of flash on any mobile device at the moment. Even on Android it is a hit or miss. Having said that and even if I don't really care about it, it would be nice if we had the option to turn flash on or off (the default setting should be off).
I would go even further and say Flash could/should be implemented like the YouTube app. Instead of the usual "plugin" icon, it could offer "play" Flash icon in its place. Clicking will launch Adobe's official Flash app.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I would go even further and say Flash could/should be implemented like the YouTube app. Instead of the usual "plugin" icon, it could offer "play" Flash icon in its place. Clicking will launch Adobe's official Flash app.

That cannot happen since YouTube has converted most of their videos to H.264, thus enabling such an app. How would a Flash application handle the million videos outside of Safari?

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I ended up getting this and at first I was totally pissed off. But after using it more, its well worth it. TBS.com can stream me Seinfeld and The Office. ESPN works like the desktop. MTV, NBA.com and a few other sites work as well.

To me its worth it just for ESPN and TBS. And I really haven't tried many other sites yet.

BrianPatrick

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

For anyone who is wondering, Skyfire reappeared in the App Store! It would be great to get a new update (x2) on the original post letting others know that it's back. Now that I've tried the app, I have to say that it is working very well for me!

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

For anyone who is wondering, Skyfire reappeared in the App Store! It would be great to get a new update (x2) on the original post letting others know that it's back. Now that I've tried the app, I have to say that it is working very well for me!
Is it? I'm in Aus and it isn't in our App Store yet :/

PS: what is that info at the top of your post?

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I really, really wish it'd work on a sports site I'm subscribed to but videos requiring a username/password login apparently aren't supported at this time. :( Nor are any internationally geoblocked videos (like Canada's cbc.ca/videos, even if you're actually located there).

But I streamed an episode of Blue Bloods on CBS and Comedy Central gave me The Daily Show. Not great quality but not bad considering, I'd say the performance is good enough for $3. Hopefully the more it's updated the more videos will be accessible, and an iPad version should come eventually. As a Flash supporter I'm grateful, it's at least a start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.