Skylake CPUs for next MB. (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Since the announcement I´ve been going back and forth between buying a Macbook now or waiting for rev. 2 (with Skylake). My main concern has been performance, but going by feedback from users both here and on reddit, the performance issues seems to be somewhat overblown.

Still, my fears are buying a Macbook now and having Apple upgrade it this fall with Skylake and Skylake being a huge upgrade (such as 20% better performance... the same jump or even more on the battery side...).

I now have the possibility to buy the 1.2/512 for 20% off and it´s getting extremely difficult to not go for it.

So, for the ones that are waiting for rev. 2, what are your main reasons?

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Since the announcement I´ve been going back and forth between buying a Macbook now or waiting for rev. 2 (with Skylake). My main concern has been performance, but going by feedback from users both here and on reddit, the performance issues seems to be somewhat overblown.

Still, my fears are buying a Macbook now and having Apple upgrade it this fall with Skylake and Skylake being a huge upgrade (such as 20% better performance... the same jump or even more on the battery side...).

I now have the possibility to buy the 1.2/512 for 20% off and it´s getting extremely difficult to not go for it.

How did you get that discount? I wouldn't mind ordering a second one.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
You can always wait for better hardware. Once Skylake is out, the next upgrade is on the horizon.

My rule with tech purchases: If you need something, buy it at any point in time. If you want something, buy it when it's newly released.

And by the way, I don't think Skylake will be the messias so many people make it out to be.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
How do you get 20% off? The best I can do is 10% off (movers) with an additional $50 off (edu discount) from Best Buy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
you guys are suckers. In 5 years, when SwanLake comes out with it's power sipping 4nm processesor, I"ll be laughing at all of you behind my first rMB :cool:
5 years, 1 year....clearly the same thing.

fall is far fetched, but next year there 100% will be a skylake variant.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
You can always wait for something better, faster, lighter or smaller but as with all IT stuff, if you need it now, just buy it now.

Reactions: MinDev

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
For those of you asking about the 20%:
It´s a credit card promotion deal between my bank and the retailer.

In regards to rev. 2. I guess I´ll bite the bullet and buy one tomorrow. I know the saying of buy if needed, wait if not, but it´s the hype surrounding Skylake that is making me unsure.

I guess it´ll be hype after all. Everything seems to be these days. :roll eyes:

We won´t see wireless charging or anything crazy in rev. 2 anyways...

objektør

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2014
At home

In regards to rev. 2. I guess I´ll bite the bullet and buy one tomorrow. I know the saying of buy if needed, wait if not, but it´s the hype surrounding Skylake that is making me unsure.

You can 'easily' sell it for the price you pay now ( 9600 NOK??) when Skylake comes out. I plan to do the same thing.

Skylake: better gpu and better battery but time will tell if it's worth the upgrade for me.

Reactions: Nicky G

cookie.monster

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Lack of 4k60p and price/performance. It'd be great to converge to single notebook that could operate in both docked(monitor) and portable environment. And gen1 version does not deliver on first and ok/passable on second.

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
You can 'easily' sell it for the price you pay now ( 9600 NOK??) when Skylake comes out. I plan to do the same thing.

Skylake: better gpu and better battery but time will tell if it's worth the upgrade for me.
Yeah, that's probably the way to do it. Though I'll pay just shy of 12000 NOK since it's the 1.2, 512 version. :D (that's 1600$ AFTER the 20% discount for you non-Norwegians out there).

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Rev 2 with SkyLake this Fall....yeah right :eek:
Yeah, probably not. Speculations based on recently leaked Intel roadmaps predicts a quad core broadwell release this summer. If that happens we'll probably see updated 15" MBPs at WWDC (with similar updates as the 13"). If Apple does that I guess we won't see Apple notebooks with Skylake until Q1/Q2 next year, including the MacBook.

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
This. Just making a point that there is always something better in the future until the day that product is released and people start wanting the next gen instead.
But has Intel always been as hype'y (that's a word, right? :D) as they've been with the Skylake release? They make it seem like Skylake is the second coming.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
But has Intel always been as hype'y (that's a word, right? :D) as they've been with the Skylake release? They make it seem like Skylake is the second coming.
Broadwell and Core M were the same way a year ago. They want to hype their products so that companies buy their chips. Intel is the chip leader and they'd like to stay that way. I'm not saying it's not well deserved, but hype is hype.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden

You're from Norway, aren't you? Can you get the same deal from DNB if you come down across the border to a Swedish Expert and get an additional savings due to the exchange rate?

EDIT: Yeah just read the rest of the thread and you a Norrman!

----------

Yeah, probably not. Speculations based on recently leaked Intel roadmaps predicts a quad core broadwell release this summer. If that happens we'll probably see updated 15" MBPs at WWDC (with similar updates as the 13"). If Apple does that I guess we won't see Apple notebooks with Skylake until Q1/Q2 next year, including the MacBook.
Yea, and the Y-series Skylake chips aren't even due on those roadmaps until Q1 2016 anyway IIRC.

Last edited:

dubydoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
You're from Norway, aren't you? Can you get the same deal from DNB if you come down across the border to a Swedish Expert and get an additional savings due to the exchange rate?
Hmm... don't know. If I had to guess I would say no. Additionally, the exchange rate between NOK and SEK isn't as crazy as it used to be before the oil prices plummeted. But it would save me some money if it was possible. :)

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
Hmm... don't know. If I had to guess I would say no. Additionally, the exchange rate between NOK and SEK isn't as crazy as it used to be before the oil prices plummeted. But it would save me some money if it was possible. :)
Well, you're all still coming down here to Uddevalla every weekend to shop, so it must still be worth it ;-) Don't worry the oil prices will go back up again, its inevitable.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
20% off a brand new Mac, I'd jump on it, rather then wait for Rev 2 which won't see the light of day until 2016, regardless of when Skylake hits the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.