Skylake CPUs for next MB. (merged)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dubydoo, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubydoo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #1
    Since the announcement I´ve been going back and forth between buying a Macbook now or waiting for rev. 2 (with Skylake). My main concern has been performance, but going by feedback from users both here and on reddit, the performance issues seems to be somewhat overblown.

    Still, my fears are buying a Macbook now and having Apple upgrade it this fall with Skylake and Skylake being a huge upgrade (such as 20% better performance... the same jump or even more on the battery side...).

    I now have the possibility to buy the 1.2/512 for 20% off and it´s getting extremely difficult to not go for it.

    So, for the ones that are waiting for rev. 2, what are your main reasons?
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    20% off of a newly released computer is a good deal. I'd go for it.
     
  3. rahulr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    #3
    How did you get that discount? I wouldn't mind ordering a second one.
     
  4. melb00m macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    #4
    You can always wait for better hardware. Once Skylake is out, the next upgrade is on the horizon.

    My rule with tech purchases: If you need something, buy it at any point in time. If you want something, buy it when it's newly released.

    And by the way, I don't think Skylake will be the messias so many people make it out to be.
     
  5. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #5
    How do you get 20% off? The best I can do is 10% off (movers) with an additional $50 off (edu discount) from Best Buy.
     
  6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #6
    you guys are suckers. In 5 years, when SwanLake comes out with it's power sipping 4nm processesor, I"ll be laughing at all of you behind my first rMB :cool:
     
  7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #7
    5 years, 1 year....clearly the same thing.

    fall is far fetched, but next year there 100% will be a skylake variant.
     
  8. No-Me macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Rotterdam
    #8
    You can always wait for something better, faster, lighter or smaller but as with all IT stuff, if you need it now, just buy it now.
     
  9. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #9
    For those of you asking about the 20%:
    It´s a credit card promotion deal between my bank and the retailer.

    In regards to rev. 2. I guess I´ll bite the bullet and buy one tomorrow. I know the saying of buy if needed, wait if not, but it´s the hype surrounding Skylake that is making me unsure.

    I guess it´ll be hype after all. Everything seems to be these days. :roll eyes:

    We won´t see wireless charging or anything crazy in rev. 2 anyways...
     
  10. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

    iSheep5S

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2013
    Location:
    Scotland
  11. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #11
  12. objektør macrumors regular

    objektør

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2014
    Location:
    At home
    #12
    You can 'easily' sell it for the price you pay now ( 9600 NOK??) when Skylake comes out. I plan to do the same thing.

    Skylake: better gpu and better battery but time will tell if it's worth the upgrade for me.
     
  13. cookie.monster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009
    #13
    Lack of 4k60p and price/performance. It'd be great to converge to single notebook that could operate in both docked(monitor) and portable environment. And gen1 version does not deliver on first and ok/passable on second.
     
  14. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #14
    Yeah, that's probably the way to do it. Though I'll pay just shy of 12000 NOK since it's the 1.2, 512 version. :D (that's 1600$ AFTER the 20% discount for you non-Norwegians out there).
     
  15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

    AppleWarMachine

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan, US
  16. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #16
    Yeah, probably not. Speculations based on recently leaked Intel roadmaps predicts a quad core broadwell release this summer. If that happens we'll probably see updated 15" MBPs at WWDC (with similar updates as the 13"). If Apple does that I guess we won't see Apple notebooks with Skylake until Q1/Q2 next year, including the MacBook.
     
  17. mjs402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #17
    I think he was being comedic. SwanLake, not Skylake. ;)
     
  18. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #18
    This. Just making a point that there is always something better in the future until the day that product is released and people start wanting the next gen instead.
     
  19. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #19
    But has Intel always been as hype'y (that's a word, right? :D) as they've been with the Skylake release? They make it seem like Skylake is the second coming.
     
  20. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #20
    Broadwell and Core M were the same way a year ago. They want to hype their products so that companies buy their chips. Intel is the chip leader and they'd like to stay that way. I'm not saying it's not well deserved, but hype is hype.
     
  21. MyopicPaideia, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

    MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

    MyopicPaideia

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    Location:
    Trollhättan, Sweden
    #21
    You're from Norway, aren't you? Can you get the same deal from DNB if you come down across the border to a Swedish Expert and get an additional savings due to the exchange rate?

    EDIT: Yeah just read the rest of the thread and you a Norrman!

    ----------

    Yea, and the Y-series Skylake chips aren't even due on those roadmaps until Q1 2016 anyway IIRC.
     
  22. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    #22
    Hmm... don't know. If I had to guess I would say no. Additionally, the exchange rate between NOK and SEK isn't as crazy as it used to be before the oil prices plummeted. But it would save me some money if it was possible. :)
     
  23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #23
    unfortunately, yes :(
     
  24. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

    MyopicPaideia

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    Location:
    Trollhättan, Sweden
    #24
    Well, you're all still coming down here to Uddevalla every weekend to shop, so it must still be worth it ;-) Don't worry the oil prices will go back up again, its inevitable.
     
  25. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #25
    20% off a brand new Mac, I'd jump on it, rather then wait for Rev 2 which won't see the light of day until 2016, regardless of when Skylake hits the streets.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page