MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Popular VoIP and video calling firm Skype today announced the release of a beta version of Skype 5.0 for Mac, bringing a single-window design, group video calling, Address Book integration, and a number of other new and improved features to the company's software.
It was worth the wait - the new Skype 5.0 is now available for Mac today in beta, introducing a revamped look and feel that simplifies navigation and provides a more Mac-like experience. For example, the Skype app has been brought together in one window for ease-of-use, and the Mac address book has been integrated, making it possible for you to call, IM and SMS your contacts when they are online or offline.
According to Macworld, group video calling will be free for users during the beta period but will require a paid plan once the feature officially launches. There is no word yet on what Skype plans to charge for the feature.

Skype 5.0 Beta for Mac is a free download available from Skype's website.

Article Link: Skype 5.0 for Mac Beta With Group Video Calling Now Available

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Well UI is somewhat better and what's great is that it starts almost instantly. Las version was taking longer to open than CS5 Photoshop.

Comment

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
No way I am paying Skype so I can group video call. I can do that already with iChat for free, unfortunately everyone needs to have a Mac to do it but it's better than paying for it. I can't see Skype making any money off of personal use, just businesses that would use it.

Comment

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Hopefully this version of Skype is less buggy than the last. Version 4 had shocking audio quality at times.

Comment

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
god, this is so ugly.

i always cherished Skype on OSX for its minimalist design and its lightweight UI ...

now THIS is just horrible ... :(

Comment

podosenov

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Long dreaded 1 window skype is finally on mac. At least it's working faster and smileys are intact.

Comment

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
Avoid if you use ecamm's Call Recorder for Skype - can't seem to get it to work as yet in the 5.0 beta (which is to be expected really for oldish software on a beta version!) - apart from that I personally like the new Ui and shows good promise!

Comment

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
yawn, boring. conference chat = ichat (free, always). The last time I used Skype... oh wait never. iChat's always full filled my needs and when it can't, I call the person. Most people aren't hanging out at their computer waiting for someone to call, and I don't know anyone who leaves it running and takes a call just like a phone. I'm sure they're people out there who do, but just know one I know.

Comment

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Hate how massive the contact list is. My contacts fit into a small window, now it shows only halve in a large window. The same data is shown as before, but literally 10 times the size.

Edit: Whole interface is pretty much a mess tbh. They should have just copied the Windows version layout. When you make a call the whole window is basically just a black box. Also, why aren't the contacts shown in the sidebar. Instead it's 'recent calls' etc, which isn't very useful. They honestly need to go back and re-think the whole thing.

Last edited:
Comment

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
moving from this tidy little window
screenshot20101104at153.png

to this abomination?
screenshot20101104at153.png

and Cover-Flow for contacts? ... seriously?

hell to the no, i'm going back :(

Comment

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
yawn, boring. conference chat = ichat (free, always). The last time I used Skype... oh wait never. iChat's always full filled my needs and when it can't, I call the person. Most people aren't hanging out at their computer waiting for someone to call, and I don't know anyone who leaves it running and takes a call just like a phone. I'm sure they're people out there who do, but just know one I know.

iChat is great. It comes with OS and it supports more than one protocol, also app is very light. Sky is evil.

Comment

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
What happened to versions 3 and 4?!

This version seems to waste tons of space which seems fine if skype is the only thing open on your laptop like in that clip. Personally, I tried the windows version and it felt unnecessarily cluttered and less simple compared to the current mac version. This looks like the windows version.

Perhaps some great market research told them this is what people want, who knows...

Comment

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria

This version seems to waste tons of space which seems fine if skype is the only thing open on your laptop like in that clip. Personally, I tried the windows version and it felt unnecessarily cluttered and less simple compared to the current mac version. This looks like the windows version.

Perhaps some great market research told them this is what people want, who knows...

i do sense they want to unify the UI across the platforms ... i would have loved for this to happen more in an OSX-like way

i do get that they need to get people used to having a huge skype window now, so they have enough space for adding the (to me) totally useless facebook integration :/

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
No way I am paying Skype so I can group video call. I can do that already with iChat for free, unfortunately everyone needs to have a Mac to do it but it's better than paying for it. I can't see Skype making any money off of personal use, just businesses that would use it.

I don't recall Skype costing anything. They do have a subscription which I do pay for but that pays for a private phone number for incoming and outgoing calls.

Comment

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
i do sense they want to unify the UI across the platforms ... i would have loved for this to happen more in an OSX-like way

It's not really like the Windows one. The Windows one is way better than this. It can also be shown in a compact view much like the current Mac version.

Comment

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria

sorry to be quoting my picture again, but those 'conversations' on the left ... 7(!) of these (all but the one with the skier-skype icon) were conversations with my random starcraft 2 buddies and happened during a 2 hour timespan, what a useless waste of screen real estate :(

It's not really like the Windows one. The Windows one is way better than this. It can also be shown in a compact view much like the current Mac version.

while i do realize that, the windows version still lacks the '1 contact list + 1 chat window with tabs for each conversation' feature, doesn't it?

in the compact view, you will have 1 Window that holds your contacts and conversations and it'll open up a new window for every single conversation you start :/

Comment

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England

Great, I'm sticking with 2.8 then. Absolutely hate the new interface on Windows, and despite the many complaints in their forums, Skype seem to think it's the thing to do everywhere.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.