Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skype_mac_hd.jpg

Skype today announced the release of Skype 5.3 for Mac OS X , a significant update bringing full support for OS X Lion, as well as new support for HD video calling.
Skype 5.3 for Mac OS X is built to work with Apple's newest desktop operating system, Lion, in addition to being compatible with past versions of OS X going all the way back to Leopard.

With Skype 5.3 for Mac OS X, you'll also be able to send and receive HD quality video when talking to your friends and family. You'll need to use the Mac's built-in webcam or choose from a variety of webcams from our Skype Shop, such as the Logitech C910, to make video calls in crystal clear HD quality. To receive clear HD video calls on your Mac, we recommend an upload/download speed of 1.5Mbps.
Just last month, Skype 5.2 for Mac added group screen sharing for customers with premium subscriptions, as well as a revamped call control bar with support for video calls. Skype has also been hard at work on its offerings for Apple's mobile platform, finally releasing Skype for iPad one week ago.

Article Link: Skype 5.3 for Mac Adds HD Video Calling and Full OS X Lion Support

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Beautiful. Skype has definitely earned stock since releasing its app on the iPad.

For better or worse, Skype is its own empire.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Skype for iPad crashes on me every single time when I load it up. It says "loading contacts" then crashes. I've restarted, reinstalled...nothing works.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Cool that they've added HD video calling, but I assume this is the same crappy 5.2 UI that drove everyone away in the first place?

They'll have to do more than add HD to get me to come back.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
When the UI is fixed and I stop hearing about Skype security vulnerabilities every other week I might consider updating. 'Till then... nope.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I found that I had to go to their website to download the update. The 'check for updates' feature of the program didn't do it. So, its downloaded and I'm installing now. Hd will be nice, I have missed that from the Windows version I've used the last few years.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I just updated, where are the Lion features? I thought Skype would come with a Full Screen option.

So far, I can only see that they changed again the way how your contacts are displayed.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does anyone actually use Skype for anything other than to call someone else who has Skype to tell them they are using Skype?

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Crystal clear HD quality ? Crystal clear high definition quality? Really? Sounds sooooo microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.