Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Skype for iPhone Updated to Support Multitasking

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Skype's iPhone application has received a much-anticipated update today, bringing support for multitasking in iOS 4.
- Run Skype in the background with multitasking in iOS4. Receive Skype calls and IM while other apps are running or when your iPhone is locked. You can also continue your call while you switch to another application. Multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
Skype's application was just updated in late May to bring support for voice calling over 3G networks. The company has also been involved in a spat with fring over that company's integration of Skype functionality into its iPhone application. As a result, fring no longer offers Skype compatibility, although which party is ultimately responsible for the removal is still the subject of debate.

Article Link: Skype for iPhone Updated to Support Multitasking

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Cool, I was thinking of using skype to replace blackberry messenger when I switch over soon. Nice to have some form of multitasking :)

Comment

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Skype's iPhone application has received a much-anticipated update today, bringing support for multitasking in iOS 4.Skype's application was just updated in late May to bring support for video calling over 3G networks. The company has also been involved in a spat with fring over that company's integration of Skype functionality into its iPhone application. As a result, fring no longer offers Skype compatibility, although which party is ultimately responsible for the removal is still the subject of debate.

Article Link: Skype for iPhone Updated to Support Multitasking
There was no update in May to include video calling over 3G. Voice calling was enabled over 3G.

Comment

george6000

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
i have tried to update the app via itunes and the app store on the iphone no luck keeps going back to the old one.

also deleated the app and downloaded fresh the same app didnt work :( runing iphone 4 and theres something wrong with the app store.

any one else having this problem

Comment

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Backgrounding? Yay. I'll be excited when they finally introduce video chat. Until then, I won't really be using it.

Comment

Eunos

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
i have tried to update the app via itunes and the app store on the iphone no luck keeps going back to the old one.

also deleated the app and downloaded fresh the same app didnt work :( runing iphone 4 and theres something wrong with the app store.

any one else having this problem

Same here, can't get it to show that any updates are available for the app

Comment

bawbag

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
Excellent - I'm looking forward to the iPad Skype app in combination with iOS when it's finally launched.

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm confused. Is this just a typo that should say "voice" calling instead? I didn't think you could do video chat over the Skype app.

Ya, that was a mis-type...sorry about that.

Comment

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
But does this deserve front page MR news?

For me this is THE reason for wanting iOS 4. We currently have Netgear Skype phones which are fairly unreliable. Our plan is to use our iPhones instead, which until now has not been possible.

If it works well I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the 2010 iPod Touches to include microphones - then I'll be buying at least one to use primarily as a Skype Phone to keep at home.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.