Sleep or Shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by honggil, Aug 26, 2011.

?

How do you leave your Air for periods of inactivity?

1. Sleep Mode

146 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. Shut Down

39 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. honggil macrumors member

Hello MacRumors members!

Personally, I leave it in sleep mode. But I also know friends who shut down. *Obviously* time of inactivity plays a factor, but I'm referring to majority of the time!

Do you guys leave your Air in sleep mode or shut it down when you're not using it for a period of time?

This is just for curiosity... :)

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sleep. I normally wouldn't shutdown, unless it were for an extended period of time. Restarts are normally only when required for an update.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sleep, since OS X has had this feature I have always used it, only restarting on updates from Apple if needed. Shutting down isn't that one of Windows specialties ;) I often find those who have recently moved to Mac will often shutdown the computer, OS X there is little or no need to shutdown...

5. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

Are there any long-term benefits to putting your MBA to sleep over shutting it down?

:confused:

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

If I'm going to be inactive for more than 15 minutes, I shut down. Shut downs and restarts are so zippy on MBAs.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Coming from Windows, I always shut down. This thing boots up so fast I'm amazed either way. :D

9. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Both for me. Just depends. The computer boots up so fast sometimes I like to shut down just watch it boot.

10. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I also shut down because I got used to having to regularly shut down and restart on Windows to prevent OS crashes.

11. joelseph7 macrumors newbie

This is true. :eek:

I just switched to a mac so its a bit of a habit for me. Though I am going to try and get into the habit of just putting it to sleep instead.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's just not necessary with OS-X. Since the first really useable version (which I would say was 10.1, I've never felt the need to regularly restart. (At the time, all of my high-level development was in Windows - I was totally immersed in it at work - and, refreshingly immersed in OS-X at home/home business. :) )

13. App Downloader macrumors member

Sleep Mode

I only turn it off when I need to go to bed. ;) :apple:

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I may shut my Mac down once a month. If that.

There's no real need to shut down unless you're going away for an extended period (and even then, there's no need to).

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, if we are talking NEED, there is no need to put it to sleep either. I mean, 15 second boot is pretty quick. But with SSDs I think it's the way to. Its just that us old timers used to spinning hard drives and crappy OSes have habits that are hard to break...

16. Sniv macrumors member

For me it depends...if I know I have to get up early for example and I have to use my MBA straight away then I just let it go to sleep. If not then I usually shut it down...

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

15 seconds? More like double that on my 2010 11" ultimate

18. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know about that. I've gotten more forgetful in my old age and not having to remember to turn something off is a plus.

19. dubAdub macrumors member

Coming from UNIX ;) I like to build decent "uptime" values so usually only reboot when it is required. Having to reboot to fix things, reinstall software etc are concessions to bad code, so I try to avoid that.

20. Queen6, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I just shut down my MacBook Pro 4.1 2.4Ghz Penryn last week, outside of the odd restart from Apple, this is the first time the machine has been fully off since 2008 :eek: there is no need to shut down your Mac, and there is absolutely no benefit. OS X performs routine self maintenance, if you shut the computer down the system wont complete the tasks, if you sleep the OS will run the routine's on the next wake up - it`s time to let go of Windows ;)

And the Penryn, well having more than earned it`s dues, it now moves to the standby system, with the new Air being primary, well until Apple release a Pro that is designed to run SSD from the ground up :apple:

21. jamsta2 macrumors newbie

I normally just put my MB Air to sleep unless I know I won't be using it again for a while.

- Jamsta2

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Just sleep - never let it sit long enough to need a shutdown.

23. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

Sleep is the best option. Shutting down/booting up everyday leads to more wear and tear as well as reduced battery life. If you let your mac sleep a day you'll lost at most 5%. The bootup power needed gets close to it + you lose time waiting for everything to show up.

I've also heard that you could shutdown/reboot perhaps once a fortnight to get rid of any garbage clogged in the RAM -- but i rarely do that. I do run it down once a month for battery calibration though.

24. Sheet macrumors member