Sleepy Hollow (Fox)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Huntn, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Since this show has potential, I started a dedicated thread for it. These reply quotes come from the What's On TV thread...

You know why the Hessian's face is covered by a mask? It's to shield us from the letdown of it not being Christopher Walken!

[​IMG]

(image came from For the Love of Bad list with pics. I just don't see Robert Patrick (from Terminator2) as number one on the list...)

I, I had no clue! And I watch Sponge Bob on occasion. I never pictured Mr Krabs like this, plus he sings too! "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" :

[​IMG]

Looks like one of those liberal hippies commune leaders... (nothing against liberal hippies; wish I had hair like that.) :p

You mean he might become like Dexter's or even David Fisher's Dad? (Giving advice to Officer Mills) :)

I can't stand Fox News... Their insidious plan is to keep us hooked on their shows and movies! :p

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Here is my take on it:

I thought it was horrible to tell you the truth.

I did not like the rushed feel.

- All of sudden she trusts him enough to be here partner behind the Captain/LT back
    - He is now trust worthy to be assigned to the case after just being sent to the loony bin for a 72 hour hold
    - Horseman can now use a shotgun and M-16/AR-15 gun like no other
    - Not to mention shotgun rounds that explode and shoot nice sparks and fire..... (nit picky I know)
    - She just happens to find a key that unlocks all the "secrets" (using this loosely) the previous sheriff was looking into.

I did like the idea of the HH as one of the four horseman, that part was actually pretty good and I could so seeing this as a good point.

I will watch to see if it get's better, but I am not impressed with it so far.

3. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

thanks for starting this thread Huntn

Appreciate the thread start Huntn.

I am more than willing to suspend my disbelief and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching the pilot again during the commute home tonight.

and in response to the nitpicks from rhett7660:

Yes, this was rushed and they could have stretched some of the ideas thrown at us throughout more episodes but I will play Horseman's Advocate here :D

1) Abby trusts Ichabod because of what she discovered in the sheriff's secret file and how that ties into the experience Abby and her sister had in High School.

2) I will have to watch again.

3-4) HH is Death himself, so couldn't Death easily adapt to using whatever weapon would bring about mortals dying? The heated/fiery explosive shotgun rounds add to his four horseman vibe.

5) The sheriff trusted Abby because of the experience she and her sister endured during High School and because they developed a close rapport while working together. He was trying to keep Abby in Sleepy Hollow to help him when the time came, so I was okay with Abby finding that key taped on the back of her police graduation photo.

But I understand there was a lot thrown at us for a first episode so it's all good.

and Huntn,

10 points for the Walken Horseman quip! He was great.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I watched because the show (except last night's Pilot) films in my town. It was rushed, there was lots of "info," and the audience really had to believe (or suspend disbelief) to make it manageable. The show is different, I'll tell ya that!

I'll give it a few more episodes.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you watch the preview for next week or the coming weeks, you will see Ichabod is introduced to a modern weapon and his reaction to it. Yeah that is what I expected, instead we are treated to a headless terminator like character.

I can suspend my disbelief to, but this to me was boarder line ridiculous. If he has taken to the new world why wasn't he driving a car etc. See how ridiculous that sounds.

I liked it better when he had the axes and old school weapons. We already know bullets don't do anything to him, so why does he have to incorporate new age tech?

He took out the priest with an axe (good), firing and missing everything in site with his guns, bad.

I like the demon aspect and the 4HM lore, but the whole scene with him putting the shotgun on his back and breaking out the military weapon to me was absolutely horrible.

Wasn't questioning the dynamics between the sheriff and Abby, more along the lines, she just happens to find the key and discover the tape recordings etc all within minutes. The fact she was groomed if you will from the get go. I don't know I was not impressed with it at all.

I will give it some more views but this really bugged me.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I was totally surprised how good this first episode was. Maybe I came in with expectations too low...thinking it would be a ho-hum show, at best. I couldn't have been more wrong!

It was well shot, exciting and has a good story. Everything worked together nicely in the first episode. I was really pleased with it. I just hope that they keep up with the quality. If so, Sleepy Hollow could end up being the best new show of the season! It is that good.

7. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I felt the same way. My expectations were incredibly low and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it will be my favorite new show of the season, but it was a decent way to begin.

8. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I loved it but I also love those awful SyFy original movies and thought it was kind of similar to one of them lol. Much better acting and a more interesting story than those but still rushed and kind of cheesy, I'll be watching next week for sure.

9. rjkgr macrumors regular

This show is exciting and looks to be a good tv series

10. Huntn, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Based on what happened to her as a child, it took Officer Mills a bit to figure out he was not a kook, when she realized on some level, he was not crazy. And since they figured out, he could not be the one beheading locals, the Chief finding himself in a strange place as far as a case, made a call since this guy claims to know what's going on. I can accept it. :p

Honestly I don't like him using automatic weapons either. There is a certain charm to wielding an axe to behead people and the red hot axe should be enough. :p

I saw her go into his office and start looking at the Sheriff's family pics, and discovering a key on the back. She knew something was up with the Sheriff, so I didn't find it a stretch that she discovered his locked file cabinet.

Maybe this show is a stretch for you and I'm too accepting of these kinds of premises. ;) As far as its fast nature, I'm sure they made a calculated risk to set the hook quickly, versus slowly over a couple of shows. I realize it is a risk either way.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Like I said, I will give it another chance, but man this was a horrible way to start the series for me. And yes I was looking forward to it.

I don't think she knew anything was up with the sheriff, she was just looking around his office going over the pictures etc when she found the key. Afterwords, when she started to look for the safe and then to find the tape recording. Yup.

I definitely think we will hear more of Mr. Brown's voice as she gets farther along in the cases and the series.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What I found odd was after Ichabod woke up he had very minimal questions about the modern age! Even paved roads should have him wonder at it all and also have a thousand questions about history.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would like to add, that I was really looking forward to this. I am a big fan of this type of stuff, it is these few little items really bugged me.

^I agree completely. I did like the lie detector scene though. That was pretty funny.

If you watched the preview for next week or up coming shows there was a scene where he shoots a modern gun, gave me a pretty good chuckle.

14. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Agreed, there was a lot more 'bewilderment' opportunity for Ichabod here that was missed ... and that the HH was able to so easily "take" to modern weapons was a big disappointment (plot discontinuity). Sure, there's the one police officer whose weapons they are to have provided a partial 'excuse', but this wasn't done properly either.

Overall, it was a pleasant surprise to see how they took the original story and 'cranked it up', but I'm also afraid that we're in for a series of episodes that becomes "Our Heroes Fight This Week's Demonic Creature".

-hh

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I am talking about. Thank you for explaining it better than I.

I think we would get the "demonic creature of the week" no matter what for the first season at least. The same thing happened in Grimm and for the most part Once Upon A Time. Shoot buffy and angel and had it too. I think if it does well and it is picked up we will see a story that takes place through the whole season as opposed to the creature of the week.

One aspect I really like is tying the HH to the four horseman. That part I do like because there is a ton of ideas they can run with.

16. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

As far as demon of the week, I wonder if it will be confined to demons the two opposing covens know/fought/etc.? I would be disappointed if the show's mythology becomes as convoluted as the X-Files did, but so I hope the creators eventually corral everything and keep the demons to a select few.

17. rjkgr macrumors regular

a lot of action in the first episode and i love it.. going to watch this now

18. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

*SPOILER*

I really liked it. I didn't think I would. Though, the last scene with John Cho, I didn't expect. I thought he'd be there for a while.

Also, I hope this show will have a continuous storyline episode to episode, i.e. there won't be something new every ep that they have to encounter.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's fading for me. I was more interested when it was about the headless horseman fable, not the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. Of note, I really liked the Johhny Depp SH movie.

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

it seems like it is a continuing storyline

It seems like a continuing storyline: the monsters of the week may all be tied into the four horseman mythology.

I will continue watching.

I am curious about which side Captain Irving is on now though...and Ichabod makes this continually enjoyable (more fun attempts at getting used to modern technology.)

Nice to see Clancy Brown again too.

21. kggf macrumors newbie

that show was outstanding, can't wait to watch the next part, I beleave its right up there with supernatural... Can't wait to see what they come up with and hope they don't cancel the show after the first season...

Shane

22. rjkgr macrumors regular

cant wait for the episode! its so good and i like how he doesnt get hurt from bullets but the other guy from the past can lol

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Hmmm...

Well, I am still watching and loving this show. Very inventive retread of a dream demon last night.

Anyone else?

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both. I still have this weeks episode to watch, but eh. The second episode wasn't as bad as the first but it wasn't great either.

25. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

This show reminds me of a cop version of Supernatural (mixed with Grimm). Monsters and a biblical undertone. All we need is yet another monster-of-the-week type of show.