SlideView Mockup [UPDATED x 2]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macduke, May 16, 2008.

1. macduke Suspended

macduke

*** Latest Design Updated on Page 3 ***

*** Design #2 at the Bottom of this Page ***

Posted a few days ago in the iPhone blog was a thread about Intelliscreen, a utility which allows you to customize your "slide to unlock" screen. Many people, including myself, really liked the concept. However, it seemed as though its implementation could use some work. Several people criticized its cluttered appearance. As soon as I saw it my mind started wandering, and so I got to work on a mockup. Several people replied positively to my initial design, so I worked some more this evening on the attached version. Basically, it would allow you to quickly see if you have any new notifications, along with the ability to tap each section to see additional information. It would also feature an edit button, which would allow you to rearrange the icons as well as delete them. The add button would allow new sections to be added, such as weather, stocks or news feeds.

Sadly, I haven't really done any coding since highschool. If someone who knows the SDK and Cocoa Touch wants to work with me on making an application for the Apps Store, then that would be great. I'm not sure if this would be allowed under the SDK rules, but otherwise, I guess this could be a useful design for Apple to consider. Enjoy! Feedback appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cjandnw macrumors 6502

That APP is EXACTLY what I have been wanting for the iPhone!
    I hope somebody works with you to make it happen. I have as much skill in coding as a three toed sloth.
    Good luck.

I'd even pay a few $$ for it!

3. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

I really like that prototype, very creative and a great improvement. :)

One thing, I wouldn't have the Edit option on the main screen, I think a separate Edit Screen App would be better.

4. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Agreed, I think I'd prefer to have a panel in the settings app to control the layout/contents.

MadDoc,

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think this helps, seeing as the iPhone unlike say a Blackberry, doesn't indicate new mail, new SMS, missed calls etc through a coloured light flashing or other means. By having it on the screen at least that'd be useful. I'd imagine Apple themselves might use their own symbols for mail and SMS etc, with the small circle numbers for number of messages etc perhaps. If not, then this certainly fits a hole in the market.

One of the things needed is to add security - Both for enterprise and generally, you might not want to be able to show or access information prior to unlocking the phone. I.e. not even seeing who's called, sent a message, the message title etc, prior to the 4 digit PIN code, gestural code or whathave you for the security.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

While your interpretation looks nicer then the one that's released (in my opinion), personally I don't care for having all that info on the unlock screen. I currently have TaskbarNotifier installed on a jailbroken phone and i think that's the perfect solution. A simple little icon in the task bar for missed call, SMS, or email. No calendar notifications at the moment, but the calls and emails is what I'm most concerned with. And you can see the taskbar all the time, so even if you have your new mail notification on silent (I do a lot of times so it doesn't bother people), if you're using the phone the little envelope icon will appear next to the battery. I don't think something like that will get officially ported though since it works in the background :(

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Glad I saw this thread. I've never heard of this app before, I really like it. Some of the potential conflicts that exist and crashing issues people have experienced scare me a bit, but so far no problem...

@OP: I really like your re-designed UI. Much more "mac-like."

8. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

What you could have is upon power on it looks just the way it does as standard untouched screen, slide to unlock at bottom with a background image.

now, having a preconfigured pattern in the setup for pin code, but instead of the number pad appear, you tap your pin onto the screen, 4 random places that you know the order of, if it was a background pic of a car you could tap,

1, aerial tip,
    2, center of front wheel,
    3, petrol cap,
    4, center of rear wheel.

(maybe have a transparent pink? dot appear a few mm above your finger just while your finger is in contact with the screen to accurately align your input, disappearing when you release)

that would make your slideview appear over the top as your pic is now.

Slide to unlock just brings up the standard pin entry, unless you have already "drawn your car"

9. parham55 macrumors member

this will be the first app I buy if these features aren't on the 2nd gen iphone. I'd pay two figures for this.

10. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

That's an awesome idea!

I really like the SlideView concept. Nicely done! The only thing would be, and I think someone else might have already mentioned this, instead of having the number of items in red text beside the category (which can be hard to read against some backgrounds, even the Earth one) it should just be the standard red circle with a number on top of the icon (SMS messages, for example).

Does anyone know if this would require a jailbroken iPhone? My guess would be yes since it changes the slide to unlock screen? I'm guessing App Store apps can't do that?

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Agree with comments on the red circle. This is a great idea, would buy if Apple doesn't create for 2.0. I would also have the items and order (edit and + sign) they appear under the settings if done by Apple or if created as an application under the application itself.

12. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

I like the concept of having information on the 'Slide to Unlock' screen. However with the design above it defies the point of a 'slide to unlock' screen because the buttons (such as edit) would be pressed in your pocket.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it be cool if Apple incorporated an indicatlor light around the home button or to the left of the receiver?

I would like there to be some type of lighting on the iPhone that indicates something.

14. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

That looks pretty cool, but, as sowlerrmgh said, wouldn't that defy the whole point of the Slide to Unlock screen? :p

15. parham55 macrumors member

I would just guess that you would still have to slide to unlock to actually do anything. With this app you would know if you needed to slide to unlock before you actually slide to unlock.

16. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I would suggest that instead of tapping a section to get more info you set it up that you slide across that section to go straight to the relevant app.

This would get around the touch input from the pocket problem but allow you to pick which area is the one you are interested in and go staight there. Not quite as nice as seeing everything you need to see on the screen at once but maybe a nice compromise.

17. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I think the GUI looks great but if you have to touch or slide to progress to the actual data then what is the point of this app??? You would have to do that anyway and then you would be on the home screen to see all that info anyway. So you would maybe be saving one touch/slide or none at all. How is that so productive and useful??? :confused:

18. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's how I'd imaging it would work.

Does anyone know if an App from the app store could modify the lock screen like this, or would it have to be a jailbroken phone?

19. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Well the point would be that it saves you one or two taps, I guess lol

Instead of Slide to Unclock - look at SMS icon to see if there are new message - tap SMS

It's just Slide to SMS.

20. parham55 macrumors member

example: set your phone down, (insert activity), go back to phone, did i miss anything???, button press, slide to unlock screen (with this app) no or yes, take action. It saves an extra step by not having to slide to unlock, then find out what you missed.
    This is productive for those of us that can't always have our phone with us, or are unable answer when things (rings/email/text/calendar events) happen, such as speaking to a customer, etc.

21. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

But the slide to unlock screen already shows you if you've missed a phone call, or an SMS....so all that's missing would be a new email.

Calendar events are really the only thing that I really want on my Slide to Unlock screen. I don't *love* the way that Intelliscreen looks, but it accomplishes that.

22. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Is this right? I don't own an iPhone (yet) so I don't know, would be useful if it does, anyone want to confirm this for me, possibly a screen shot? I've tried to find it on google images, with no luck. Much appreciated if anybody could.

Neil.

23. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

But it literally only saves you ONE touch lol. I guess if you find it that annoying then great, but for me that is not a big enough productivity booster to care for that matter.

24. Appleismylove macrumors newbie

The problem with this is...

Okay everyone, i think you guys are forgetting something MAJOR. The hole point of the "slide to unlock" is so that you do not accidentally unlock your iPhone. It would make more sense if this was just a list of notifications, and if when you did unlock, you could choose what you wanted to do. With this as it is, i think it would cause more frustration then needed, people everywhere would be complaining of mishaps, when they accidentally called there mother, or deleted there contacts, ect.

25. macduke thread starter Suspended

macduke

Fixed! Also, the original concept that I had wouldn't let you call anybody. When clicking on it, it would have only listed out the missed calls.

I appreciate all the feedback from everybody. I was also concerned about hitting buttons or doing something accidentally. I tweaked the original design today. I also wanted to make the red bubble number icons but didn't have the time last night. This one is accident-proof and once you slide across, it goes straight to that application, or first brings up the numeric lock if you have a password set. Then it would go to the respective app.

I also got rid of the edit and add buttons, since that could be set in a different section once the phone is unlocked and would prevent accidental settings changes. I also removed the title bar since it was now just wasting space. This version provides quick view of notifications and saves some steps by jumping directly into an application. There would be settings for transparency, position, adding new icons, removing icons, and perhaps even custom icons that act like webclips, launching Safari to a certain site if you visit that site frequently. I also toyed around with the idea of using the icons themselves as the slider arrow. Basically in that design it would simplify things even more by having you slide the icon across the screen to open it, though I haven't made that design yet. Here is the current updated design:

Attached Files: