Slightly Bent New Macbook Pro Late 2008 O_o

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddyhttp, Oct 21, 2008.

1. eddyhttp macrumors regular

I just got my new Macbook pro yesterday and I love the computer, I just installed Vista and it took me 3 hours just to install and update it.

Anyways when i have my notebook flat on the desk I noticed that the bottom right is a little elevated, that I could push it down and it moves. That doesn't bother me much but....

When I close the lid the left side is about 1-2 milliliter bent up. The right side of the lid closes perfectly and doesn't move when I push on the right side. However, on that left side, the lid is obviously bent and when I apply pressure to that side it does close all the way.

When I left go of the left side, the lid bents slightly up again.

I have a BTO macbook pro. What do you guys suggest I do?
    Should I suck it up and try not to notice the lid everytime I close my $2500 lid's notebook?

Should I call apple (what number?) or bring it to the store?

Any advice would be great!!! : )

2. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Are you serious? How could you live with that on such an expensive machine? Please make them replace that thing for your own sake. You know if you tried to live with something as visible and anoying as that it would just make you feel worse over time each time you use the machine. If I were you I would certainly expect a machine that was made properly. Good luck and hope you get it replaced.

3. cv66seabear macrumors newbie

Get rid of it

Yeah, I totally agree - you should take it back (call first), and have them load a new one with Vista for you.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry but I'm gonna say thats normal ( been going on since first gen ) & falls within their QC specs, but see what they have to say about it

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Most of them are all like this. Go to your local mac store and check the demo's. I just learned to live with it. Till I got my new GlassBook Pro today.

6. eddyhttp thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post some pictures in the morning. I haven't had this issue before on any of my Sony Vaio laptops. So far I am getting a census that I should call. I just don't want a lame excuse that it is normal. But I hear apple customer care is really good.

7. bootspur macrumors newbie

These new one piece frames. . .

If, you don't send it back pardon me but that would be more than just a bit foolish to say the least. . . . You soitainly don't owe Apple or any other subsequent buyer's your experience, but Your machine is one of the first ones out there and what if, the manufacturing process is OFF just a flicker? Maybe that machine you received will be the one that allows trouble shooter's to what is wrong and identify the process to fix it going forward.

But, otherwise I don't hand over money for an anomalous flaw in swap. But, bottom line it YOUR money, and you get to do whatever you want, you can send it all to me if you do not feel that you deserve it I will probably keep it.;)

8. rcky macrumors newbie

return it first thing in the morning, and dont log back on until ur typing on the new mbp ;)

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Considering these new 'Unibody' notebooks are meant to be so much stronger and rigid I would take that back immediately. A bent casing is totally unacceptable.

10. futuremac macrumors member

I just recently got the early 2008 MBP. Mine has the same issue as yours except on the left side. Also a gap of 1 or 2mm on left when lid is closed. Doesn't bother me, and though it may sound bad I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't see this thread. This is probably a common defect, but if it bothers you that much exchange it if they allow.

11. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Ok, no joke, I went through THREE mbps, all with the same problem you are describing all on the left side. EVERY mbp on display at my local apple store has that problem. After I brought the thrid one back to the store they started trying to tell me "that's just the way they are." That's not true, there are people who have gotten ones that aren't bent. And, even if they were all like that I still consider it a defect. I mean, come on apple, attaching a top to a bottom is like the basics of laptop making and you can't even get that right? I refuse to spend that kind of money on a machine that has such a ridiculous flaw. It really makes me sad too b/c I really wanted the mbp and it is the best notebook. I just can't make myself live with a bent lid for that kind of money.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im not setting for anything less that 100% with my new MBP when it comes! and i dont think anyone should!

If your door on a new ferrari didnt close right you wouldnt just go 'o well ill live with it' so why should you with the rating laptop!

Good luck

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Now dont be nasty! hes going through a hard patch at the moment :)

15. r88my macrumors regular

I don't see why you should put up with it. If the bonnet on your new car didn't close flush, would you accept that as being normal?

16. eddyhttp thread starter macrumors regular

With PICS!!!

Here are the pics. I took it with my iphone. I can post better pictures or videos if you request it and if it will help you give me better advice.

Should I call Apple or bring it to the Apple Store?
    What do I say?
    I bought it BTO from apple.com so will that be an issue to transfer my data. Since the stores do not have BTO laptops.

If apple does replace my notebook, I have a question about the data transfer to new notebook. I have loaded many paid licensed OS X apps and Vista programs. Will everything from OS X and Vista will be transferred or will I have to go through all that work again to download, install, and license those programs on both OS X and Vista.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

OMG ring apple ASAP and demand a new one before you send your one back! thats no were near expectable!

18. Crash1234 macrumors regular

OMG, I am just soooo annoyed about this, they let me exchange the first three that looked just like those in the pics, then they gave me the line about how it is how they are supposed to be, I used the same car door analogy (except a Benz instead of a Ferrari), and they gave me my money back cause they were all defective in that store. So now I don't have laptop, and I was so excited and waiting for this laptop to come out. This issue has been around since they first started making MBP's, you'd think they could get it right by now. EVERYONE who buys one of these defective MBP's has to return it, no one should accept this flaw at the prices they are charging. When Apple realizes that no one will pay for the defective warped MBP's they will finally get it right. Seriously, how hard can it be to have a not warped laptop, even the $500 PC's don't have warped lids, and we are spending $2500, it should be perfect, no excuses.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Call apple and return it immediately..... If they want to overcharge for their hardware and be a "luxury" computer company then you should expect perfection for your hard earned money. There is no reason why you shouldnt call and demand a new one.... some people here might say its ridiculous but they werent the ones that worked hard for those $2500 you spent. it seems like this bothers you so return it ASAP....... as for how to do it i would just call customer service and have them direct you on what to do.

20. eddyhttp thread starter macrumors regular

I have been waiting for a long time too, just like you. I don't have a car at my college so its hard for me to go to the apple store and I have yet to go there in Omaha. At the store, are most of them bent?

21. r88my macrumors regular

If the store try and bully into accepting that it is normal try bringing up the MacBook pro product page on apples own website. The pictures there of the new macbook pro show that the lid is perfectly aligned.

22. eddyhttp thread starter macrumors regular

Do I just bring the laptop or everything including the box and the charger to the store?

Should I call apple first then bring it to a store?

23. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Every single mbp on display at my local store has a bent lid. This is totally unacceptable. I went through three exchanges even though the display models were defective b/c I figured, there must be ones out there that arent' bent. Like, honestly, having to check a laptop for a properly closing lid is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. It seems though, like there are people who are getting laptops with perfect lids, my store just seems to not have any of those in stock.

24. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

That defect would really get on my Bristols. I would contact Apple for a replacement ASAP.

25. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Once again, the rush of 'OMGZ MY LID IS SLIGHTLY BENT! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTAMABLEEZZ!!!' Get over it, it doesnt affect the computer in anyway, mines bent, i've dealt with it, yes its a $3K Machine, but i dont mind, its whats inside that counts.