Slightly yellow tint - iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virginblue4, Dec 29, 2014.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

So have had my iPhone 6 for a couple of days now and have noticed when reading articles e.g Wikipedia, that when reading from left to right in portrait mode in going from yellow to white.

It's quite faint and to be honest I can't notice it when I have a pure white screen, but as soon as the text is overlaid I notice it.

I'm not really sure what to do, the phone is perfect other than this and I purchased AppleCare+ yesterday. I don't particularly want a replacement already as it'll be refurbished and I've only had the phone for 4 days.

Maybe I'll have to return it, get a refund on AppleCare+ and then buy another?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My 6+ has a yellow tint, and so did my iPhone 5. Most do, and you'll notice that most Amoled screens have a blue tint. Sure there are some perfect screens of both flavours knocking around but you may have to go through numerous exchanges for screen tint, dust behind the screen, loose buttons and goodness knows what else before you find one that you're happy with. Only you can decide whether you can live with it or not.

3. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

When comparing my 6 to my 5s it is clearly more of a cooler display, with my 5s being yellow. At least with the 5s the whole display was yellow. My 6 has a half yellow tint and half blue tint. I've never had this issue before on my previous iPhones.

I want to live with it because the phone is perfect in every other way, but at the same time after paying £620, I should expect a device that is perfect in all ways and if it isn't to get s new one, not refurbished.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Are you asking for advice or simply telling us what's up?

If you're telling us what's up..... OK thanks......

If you're asking for advice you obviously have an issue with the phone no matter how much your profess otherwise. Return it.

5. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Yes I'm asking for advice.

Here's a photo, can anyone see it? [​IMG]

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I can't really see it in that photo but if your screen isn't uniformly yellow or uniformly blue, then I would return it.

7. kid.icarus macrumors member

Keep it, if you would like to know my opinion.
    I changed my first iPhone 6 because of a darker region where the battery symbol is. The second iPhone had a dark spot behind the battery icon (ok, it was not that visible as at the first device)...I wanted to keep that one. But then the front camera started to move.

Ok, as I have ACPP, I decided to get another exchange. The new one (maybe refurbished but there is no visible difference to a new devide) now is about 1 cm darker (yellow) at the top where the status bar is.
    It's not that visible, only you look for it or use the iPhone in landscape (calendar). I keep it, as long as there are no further problems. Up to now, everything else works perfectly.

So you see, I had 3 devices now and every one of them had a (kind of) tint at the top of the screen.

Btw: I cannot see any yellow tint or uneven tint in your photo. Just enjoy your new phone!! :)

8. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Thank you for the replies.

I think I will see how I get on with it for a couple of weeks. If it continues to bother me, I will contact Apple, if not, then I'll leave it.

9. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

You can take it back to the Apple store and exchange it for a new one since it's still under the 14 days return policy.

I've got a yellow tint on my 4th one as well but I've kinda learned to live with it.

Is yours a space grey one by any chance?

10. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I can see the yellow tint and I would return it. Some people are more sensitive to color gradients than others and it may not bother some if they even see it. However, photos of screens tend to make them look worse than they are in real life, so it would be up to you to decide if you are happy with the screen or not. In my experience once you see it you will always see it. If you are going to return it I would do so before the 2 week no questions asked period or you may get an argument from an employee who doesn't see the problem.

11. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I definitely see the yellow tint on a good 1/3 left side of your phone. You are within your return period so get a refund and repurchase, this way you don't have to explain any stories to a Genius Bar. This is BS that this is still an issue with screens this many years later! Keep doing it until you get a phone you are happy with. Once you see an issue you Will always know it's there.

12. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Been on the phone to Apple. They've offered me a express replacement device with confirmation in writing and telephone that it will be a brand new sealed device as opposed to a refurbished unit. Thanks for all the help guys :)

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I can see the effect quite clearly. I have the same issue but from top to bottom.

14. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Yup. Very easy to see. My new iPhone 6 plus is perfect, except that it's slightly brighter on the lower third of the screen. Color is good, no dead pixels or dust. Good buttons. But I find I keep
    looking at how it's a bit brighter on the bottom than the top. I don't really want to exchange for that as everything else is really good, but once you've seen it you can't really stop noticing. I'm also not quite sold on how big it is.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My 6+ has varying levels of brightness across the screen.
    I think it's impossible to get it perfect. Most LCD screens are similar in this respect, televisions and monitors etc.

16. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Yeah. That seems to be the case. Color looks pretty uniform...maybe just the tiniest bit yellower at the bottom, but I think its the brighter backlighting that produces it. I kinda doubt I'd find one better or without other issues. Especially after going thru 4 regular 6 units all with defects. One was actually bent/bowed out of the box.

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

return that one, it actually gets a little yellow again towards the right

18. blueflower macrumors 6502

So why not jailbreak and change the color of the UI using eclipse or color ui

19. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I have a new one on the way :)

Because I have no reason to jailbreak my device.

20. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I believe you've made precisely the right decision. My iPhone 6 was exactly as you described yours, the replacement Apple sent is as perfect as any I've seen.

For the premium price we pay, there's no reason to suffer with a sub standard display.

I am very pleased that I had mine replaced.

21. blueflower macrumors 6502

Have I not just given you a reason?

22. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Yellow tints are common and totally luck of the draw. You're going to see some yellow in almost all of them, it's up to you how many times you wish to exchange.

23. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I can definitely see yellowing on the left, blue on the right in your image. It's much easier to see if you zoom in sort of close to the image and sit on one side for a second, then move to the other side.

My iPhone 6 is flawless except for maybe some shadowing at the top, but that may just be my eyes doing weird things because I'm telling myself that something's wrong. Maybe the battery is faulty too? It drains pretty quick compared to most people's in the iPhone 6 battery life thread (4-6 hours with stripped down battery draining settings and 25% brightness) but it most likely is something else.

24. Hec983 macrumors member

That's what I notice I exchange 4 or so and all have yellow tint I'm considering swapping it one last time and see if I get lucky, what's weird it's all the demo units at the Apple Store, Verizon, best buy etc have a nice cool uniform tint but only on demo units.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Jailbreak, install color profiles. Can make it as blue as you want. No battery drain. Current JB took 25 seconds for me 8.1.2.