'SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad' Now Available in App Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this year, we reported that Sling Media was "hard at work" on an iPad version of its SlingPlayer Mobile application, which offers iOS device compatibility with the company's service designed to "sling" television content from a set-top box connected to a user's television to computers and mobile devices.

Sling Media today announced that SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad [App Store, $29.99] is now available in the App Store, offering higher-resolution video than its iPhone counterpart.
Available for purchase on the iTunes App Store, SlingPlayer Mobile software for iPad lets Slingbox owners extend their living room TV experience to their iPad and takes advantage of the iPad's high-resolution, 9.7-inch LED-backlit display for great video quality. The revamped program guide uses the iPad's intuitive native interface, and a recent channels feature puts a viewer's recent channels at his fingertips.
Compatible with Slingbox SOLO and PRO-HD set-top boxes, the software allows users to change channels, control their DVR, and watch shows over Wi-Fi and 3G.

The original SlingPlayer Mobile application for iPhone generated significant attention after it was approved in May 2009 without support for streaming over 3G, a limitation imposed by AT&T over concerns regarding the strain 3G streaming functionality could place on its network. AT&T eventually relented, and a 3G-capable version of SlingPlayer Mobile appeared in the App Store in February of this year.

Article Link: 'SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad' Now Available in App Store

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Great for those who ALREADY paid $30 for the iPhone version..... sigh....

Sling makes a good product, but they are milking their iPhone & iPad owners..

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i don't get this

if you're on the road so much that you only watch TV on your iphone why spend $200 for a slingbox and app and pay for a DVR when you can just pay for Hulu plus or watch hulu on your laptop in the hotel?

TheEndless

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
They really need to make a "lite" version of this app available. The video quality on the iPhone version is so sub-par, that I never would have paid $30 for the app in the first place had I known. No way I'm paying yet another $30. Hell, I already gave them $300 for the hardware in the first place. Bah!

tangoshukudai

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
i don't get this

if you're on the road so much that you only watch TV on your iphone why spend $200 for a slingbox and app and pay for a DVR when you can just pay for Hulu plus or watch hulu on your laptop in the hotel?

It is callled a sports addiction. Everyone I know with a sling box is crazy about sports. So Hulu is not an option for them.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
i don't get this

Hulu Plus is neat, but there is nothing like watching a DVR'd show that came on a few hours ago while on the road.

I don't like waiting for stuff to appear on Hulu.

Also, there are many channels I get on my Dish receiver that Hulu will never carry.

pilot370

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I love my slingbox. Just switched to the Dish 922 with built in slingbox. I travel 14 days a month and use it to watch the Hockey games that I cant get in my hotel! No plans on upgrading my data plan though most places I go have Wifi.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I don't have a Slingbox, but my grandpa does. I really don't think he'd want to pay $30 for each app (if he had an iPad as well) after paying for the service and stuff in the first place.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
Does this support AirPlay?

Does it support output via the composite or component cable adapter?

EDIT: According to their FAQ there are no "video out" solutions supported "for this version".

Last edited:

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
Live sports, traveling outside of the US.
This, and local news. Live TV through Slingbox is not a comparable product/service to Hulu and other streaming video sites.

Sling will probably get my $30 for this app, even though I already have the iPhone version. But holy cow, the iPhone Slingplayer app is a heaping pile of crap. The least intuitive interface I've ever seen in an iPhone app, very little thought seemed to go into making that app usable. (Have you tried setting up favorites in the app?) I use it every day and it's a headache. So maybe we'll get an iPhone update to bring it in line with this iPhone app, but I'm not holding my breath.

A $30 investment to turn my iPad into a 10" portable TV, not a bad deal. (Yes, that's on top of the other sunk cost investments for my Sling setup, but it's insanely useful for me.)

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
What I'd like to see is the iPad-to-Comp/VGA connector work with this, and then use my iPhone as a remote. Then I can dump one of my DVRs, making the app much more worth $30.

Also, is it really 640x480 only? That blows when I can sling HD through a webpage using the same bandwidth. Granted the iPad isn't HD, but I'd rather watch 1280x720p downscaled to 1024xWhatever than 640x480 upscaled.

As adriaanmulder pointed out, live sports is one reason. Also, the gap in content between Hulu/Hulu+ and various cable/sat providers is still significant enough that it's compelling.

Additionally, many of us have had Slingbox for a while now, too, from back when Hulu was in its infancy. So we're just continuing to buy-in.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I'm a slingbox owner and a former hulu plus subscriber. Hulu plus sucks, it's a long list of old crappy shows. It's frustrating not having access to everything hulu has access to.

Also, with the slingbox, if I'm working in the garage I can bring a laptop out there and it's instant tv. If I'm playing xbox, I can set the laptop next to me and peek in on the baseball or football game. Also, with ondemand, the library of shows I have on demand access to is much better than hulu. I guess I got my fill of 80's tv in the 80's.

However, the iPhone sling app has a **** interface. Also, navigation is slow and clunky. I usually use the zap2it tv guide app, find what I want to watch, then direct tune the sling app. It would be REALLY nice if it worked in the background. This app hasn't been updated in a long time.

i don't get this

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
About freaking time! I've used the iPhone app on my iPad since the iPad's been out. People can complain about the price, but you would have to pay for any different platform if you switch smartphones or any upcoming tablets. Considering Slingbox is a one time purchase and you have not further monthly fee's seems like a great deal to me.

I will have to DL it tonight and hopefully it streams well over 3g.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
What Sling REALLY REALLY needs is AppleTV integration or an AppleTV app. I believe you are going to see it integrated into GoogleTV first just because of the close relationship between Google and Dish Network right now. Sling & Dish are owned by the same parent company. This would give me a cheap version of Kaleidescape (i.e.: watch my DVDs from any room using my DVD jukebox)

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
If you only have a 2gig data plan, I wish you the best.
There are probably a handful of folks who still have the unlimited iPad plan (many more who still have the unlimited iPhone plan). With all the carriers moving to plans that charge you based on data usage, these kind of apps are eventually only going to be useful on WiFi -- the iPad one is essentially at that point today.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Been waiting for this

Great to see this released. I purposely held off getting this app for my iPhone and waited until the dedicated iPad app was out. Living in Panama this app will allow me to watch live sports that isn't soccer or footbol if you will. So glad I upgraded my Slingbox the last time I was in Canada to a model that supports the Mobile app, as the original one bought some 5-6 years ago wouldn't. This app is a rabid hockey watching junkies best friend! :D

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
There are probably a handful of folks who still have the unlimited iPad plan (many more who still have the unlimited iPhone plan). With all the carriers moving to plans that charge you based on data usage, these kind of apps are eventually only going to be useful on WiFi -- the iPad one is essentially at that point today.
Wifi only is a neat concept, but the issue here is many hotels block the ports for Sling. This leaves 3G only. Very frustrating. Plus the speed of many hotel networks makes watching Sling (if ports aren't blocked) impossible.

Anyhow, I will never cancel my unlimited data plan for this very reason.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah heck with Sling. They've been sub-par in delivering clients in general and I'm not buying this twice.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Luckily my DVR is an iMac with EyeTV Hybrid, and I can watch live or recorded TV with the $5 EyeTV app. (But I almost never do. Not a sports fan, I guess!)

SlingBox does things my EyeTV will not, of course. All I wanted is my rabbit ears for free programming, so EyeTV Hybrid fit the bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.