SLOW shutdown?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ProPedderKustom, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ProPedderKustom macrumors regular

Has anyone experienced a much slower shutdown? Each down I shut down the computer it goes to a grey screen and does the grey spinning beach-ball at the bottom center of the screen. Startup is very very fast but shutdown has been slow just like this since day 1.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I did a clean install and nothing like that happens.

4. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

Weird. My laptop is a brand new Macbook Air that came with Lion on it already.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Mine does exactly this.
    2010 MBA
    Slow shutdown, and slow mail shutdown as well.

Fast bootup still

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's saving the state of you open apps so everything is there just as you left it the next time you boot.

7. tongteh macrumors 6502

8. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

Same here, slow shutdown and slower boot. Mac Pro and MBP 13" (2011). The Mac Pro is a clean install by the way. Due to a ton of weirdness after a standard upgrade (the first time ever that I have issues after an upgrade).

9. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

My boot is slower than SL, but I have find that once I login the System doesn't feels laggy, as I has been loaded during the boot up. It's seems like a fair trade to me.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hope not, as I uncheck that box on shutdown.

11. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

Same here - it does it regardless of what is checked.

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Likewise. It now takes longer to shut down than it takes to boot in the first place (on an SSD). Luckily I hardly ever shut down, just sleep.

13. JH4DC5 macrumors member

the slow shutdown only occurs occasionally on my system. i'm running an apple ssd, 10.7, and always uncheck the "open windows" box when shutting down. start up always fast though.

14. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

15. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

16. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

17. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Same here: 15 inch late 2008 MBP, upgraded to Lion, and a complete restart takes really long. I never timed it, but I can say that shutdown and boot takes about 2-3 times longer than on SL.

What's the point of shutdown anyway? If my documents are saved, and all the settings are saved, what the hell more does the computer do before powering off? If I were to power off my computer right now, nothing would get damaged or lost unless I have unsaved documents, so what's the point? You get prompted to save your stuff before shutdown anyway.

18. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I noticed that the shutdown time on Lion is slower than Snow Leopard but it doesn't bother me much. Startup time is about 45 seconds for me.

19. Amberfool macrumors member

Mine is pretty slow, I've timed it and it's just under 2 minutes for both shutdown and startup. My HD's pretty full though. Working with a 13' MBP Mid 2010 w/ 250 GB HD. Either way, the only reason I shut down is if I'm going to be leaving it somewhere for a very long time, say I'm going on holiday, or I reboot it if I need to install new software, other then that it's just asleep. ;)

20. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke with an AppleCare rep today and she had me do a PRAM reset [didn't work] and then a reinstall of the OS [which didn't work]. Not sure why I am having this issue with a BRAND NEW machine. Frustrating...

21. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I don't think the age of the machine matters, it's just something within Lion itself. Doesn't seem like there's anything you can do to fix it, I'm suffering the same problem myself.

22. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

After a bunch of fresh installs trying various thing, it turns out that migrating my Applications from my previous Time Machine backup [from my late 2010 MBA on Snow Leopard] was causing the problem. When I migrated everything EXCEPT for the applications, the problem disappeared. I'm reinstalling apps now but my machine needed to freshening anyway.

23. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

As somebody switching from Windows to Mac OS X a few times a day this can be VERY annoying! Not cool Apple!

24. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

same here, and sometimes I have mail crashing and I have to do a manual force to quit app then shut down! :mad:
    PS: Mail crashing on SL as well! So I don't thin it's Lion only!

25. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I actually had the same problem. I haven't done a clean install since 2009 so I thought Lion was a good pretext to do so and so I did. Shutdown times have improved dramatically, it's a great machine again (Mac Mini 2009) and it's flying super fast as it should be. No slowdowns whatsoever.