Small no-magsafe incident...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tamagotchi, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I almost had a no-magsafe disaster with my Late-2016 MBP.

I normally push myself back and roll on my chair to reach the other side of my room and grab stuff from the shelf. As usual I pushed myself back, but the power chord was entangled with one of my arm rests. Thankfully I didn’t push myself too hard and was able to hear the MBP sliding on the desk before it was too late. It was a scary moment… a 4300 euro machine that I’ve had for less than a week almost ruined because of no magsafe.

I’m not kidding when I say that this little incident is making me consider sending the machine back and getting a refund.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It wasn't almost ruined because of no magsafe. It was almost damaged because of your carelessness.

3. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Already had 2 "oh god" moments with my 2016 MacBook Pro. Luckily the cable detached from the port without any damage, both times.

4. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

It is impressive how careless and lazy people can be. Wow. You are so right.

5. runner77 macrumors member

Send it back, you obviously don't need the machine if you send it back because of your carelessness.

It's like "I once stumbled in front of my Ferrari with a screwdriver in the hand. I could have scratched it so badly... I think I'll send it back. The Ferrari."

6. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Wow... so now the way to justify the removal of a great feature, magsafe, is to call the user careless? Great. I hope that when you guys get a non-magsafe MBP you don't experience this kind of indecent. I see you guys treat you Mac like a jewel, and not as a productivity machine.

7. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Maby position your cords so things like this dont happen on a expensive laptop, 100% your sloppy fault

8. runner77 macrumors member

Take responsibility for your actions. Life becomes so much easier and you don't have to go to a forum and play the victim of a big corporation.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Mac didn't almost drop on the floor on its own. You were careless. If anyone here is invoking logical fallacy, it is you.

Example of your logical fallacy: I almost had an accident with the computer. And even though the accident was my own doing, I am thinking of returning the Mac, because it is really Apple's fault.

10. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Sure, remove a great feature and call the user careless, if anything does happen after its removal, and/or sloppy (as another user said).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    Lol, I wasn't playing the victim.

11. runner77 macrumors member

Yes, you do. You knew before that there is no magsafe and now you complain about an almost incident because of your carelesness.

That is called "playing a victim".

12. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Ok, call it as you wish, ******.

13. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I hope they do.

14. runner77 macrumors member

Thought so ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing

Again, you knew before that there is no magsafe and then you come here and fabricate a story as if you didn't know (it surely happened as you say, but you refuse to take responsiblity) and wants us to agree with you (why else would you write it here and not just return the device and done with it).

15. motime macrumors 6502

The point is that you could get away with being careless with magsafe, and that certainly is a plus.

16. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Can people not come to a forum and chat about issues that face them without being told they are "playing victim".

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

OP, Have you ever had one of these near accidents with your Mac Pro?

18. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Ok, thanks very much for calling me a liar, saying that I fabricated a story.

Thanks for not letting me vent my frustration at realizing that not having a magsafe can be quite dangerous for the wellbeing of my machine.

Your opinion is the only valid one here, how can I dare have a different one. Please get out of the internet.

19. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

The Defenders of Apple are out in force here. They no doubt bragged before about how ingenious MagSafe was and now they give Apple a pass for removing it, instead criticizing the OP for being careless, when that was exactly what the MagSafe was supposed to guard against.

20. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

The cable ware goes behind the desk.

The Macbook, being a portable machine, I tend to drag around the power cord so I don't have it set up coming from behind my desk.
    I'm asking moderation to please close this thread. I do not wish to continue replying.

I will have to edit my OP eventually.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think people are being a little harsh to the OP. I have been using MagSafe for over a decade now. I am extremely careful with my devices but occasionally something does happen, an accident, and MagSafe protects it. Its an adjustment period and when something becomes second nature, its hard to revert.

22. Tamagotchi thread starter macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

23. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Friendly advice, run the cable so it isn't possible to get caught in your chair(as you have said you roll around in it). The extra few seconds could save you and the computer. At least until an alternative power cable is on the market with a breakaway for you.

I travel for a living. I always,even when I had mag safe, take the extra few seconds to run my power cables so I or others don't get tangled in them.
    They have the 15" model. That one only goes to 60w which is low for the 15" fine for the 13"

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think that the magsafe was a nice feature. And I also agree that it can help in possibly preventing a disaster with a Mac. What I objected to, is the OP trying to remove personal responsibility from the equation, and then trying to blame Apple for the accident that didn't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.