Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I almost had a no-magsafe disaster with my Late-2016 MBP.

I normally push myself back and roll on my chair to reach the other side of my room and grab stuff from the shelf. As usual I pushed myself back, but the power chord was entangled with one of my arm rests. Thankfully I didn’t push myself too hard and was able to hear the MBP sliding on the desk before it was too late. It was a scary moment… a 4300 euro machine that I’ve had for less than a week almost ruined because of no magsafe.

I’m not kidding when I say that this little incident is making me consider sending the machine back and getting a refund.

Reactions: robotica

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Already had 2 "oh god" moments with my 2016 MacBook Pro. Luckily the cable detached from the port without any damage, both times.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
I’m not kidding when I say that this little incident is making me consider sending the machine back and getting a refund.

Send it back, you obviously don't need the machine if you send it back because of your carelessness.

It's like "I once stumbled in front of my Ferrari with a screwdriver in the hand. I could have scratched it so badly... I think I'll send it back. The Ferrari."

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Wow... so now the way to justify the removal of a great feature, magsafe, is to call the user careless? Great. I hope that when you guys get a non-magsafe MBP you don't experience this kind of indecent. I see you guys treat you Mac like a jewel, and not as a productivity machine.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
Wow... so now the way to justify the removal of a great feature, magsafe, is to call the user careless? Great. I hope that when you guys get a non-magsafe MBP you don't experience this kind of indecent. I see you guys treat you Mac like a jewel, and not as a productivity machine.

Take responsibility for your actions. Life becomes so much easier and you don't have to go to a forum and play the victim of a big corporation.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wow... so now the way to justify the removal of a great feature, magsafe, is to call the user careless? Great. I hope that when you guys get a non-magsafe MBP you don't experience this kind of indecent.
The Mac didn't almost drop on the floor on its own. You were careless. If anyone here is invoking logical fallacy, it is you.

Example of your logical fallacy: I almost had an accident with the computer. And even though the accident was my own doing, I am thinking of returning the Mac, because it is really Apple's fault.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
The Mac didn't almost drop on the floor on its own. You were careless. If anyone here is invoking logical fallacy, it is you.

Example of your logical fallacy: I almost had an accident with the computer. And even though the accident was my own doing, I am thinking of returning the Mac.

Sure, remove a great feature and call the user careless, if anything does happen after its removal, and/or sloppy (as another user said).
[doublepost=1480801505][/doublepost]
Take responsibility for your actions. Life becomes so much easier and you don't have to go to a forum and play the victim of a big corporation.

Lol, I wasn't playing the victim.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
Yes, you do. You knew before that there is no magsafe and now you complain about an almost incident because of your carelesness.

That is called "playing a victim".

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Yes, you do. You knew before that there is no magsafe and now you complain about an almost incident because of your carelesness.

That is called "playing a victim".

Ok, call it as you wish, ******.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south

I hope they do.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Thought so ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing

Again, you knew before that there is no magsafe and then you come here and fabricate a story as if you didn't know (it surely happened as you say, but you refuse to take responsiblity) and wants us to agree with you (why else would you write it here and not just return the device and done with it).

Ok, thanks very much for calling me a liar, saying that I fabricated a story.

Thanks for not letting me vent my frustration at realizing that not having a magsafe can be quite dangerous for the wellbeing of my machine.

Your opinion is the only valid one here, how can I dare have a different one. Please get out of the internet.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
OP, Have you ever had one of these near accidents with your Mac Pro?

The cable ware goes behind the desk.

The Macbook, being a portable machine, I tend to drag around the power cord so I don't have it set up coming from behind my desk.
[doublepost=1480802783][/doublepost]I'm asking moderation to please close this thread. I do not wish to continue replying.

I will have to edit my OP eventually.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think people are being a little harsh to the OP. I have been using MagSafe for over a decade now. I am extremely careful with my devices but occasionally something does happen, an accident, and MagSafe protects it. Its an adjustment period and when something becomes second nature, its hard to revert.

Reactions: bobcan

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
The cable ware goes behind the desk.

The Macbook, being a portable machine, I tend to drag around the power cord so I don't have it set up coming from behind my desk.
[doublepost=1480802783][/doublepost]I'm asking moderation to please close this thread. I do not wish to continue replying.

I will have to edit my OP eventually.

Friendly advice, run the cable so it isn't possible to get caught in your chair(as you have said you roll around in it). The extra few seconds could save you and the computer. At least until an alternative power cable is on the market with a breakaway for you.

I travel for a living. I always,even when I had mag safe, take the extra few seconds to run my power cables so I or others don't get tangled in them.
[doublepost=1480803243][/doublepost]

They have the 15" model. That one only goes to 60w which is low for the 15" fine for the 13"

Reactions: Tamagotchi

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The point is that you could get away with being careless with magsafe, and that certainly is a plus.
I think that the magsafe was a nice feature. And I also agree that it can help in possibly preventing a disaster with a Mac. What I objected to, is the OP trying to remove personal responsibility from the equation, and then trying to blame Apple for the accident that didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.