Smart cover damage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SamFisher, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SamFisher macrumors member

Hi.

I heard a few months ago that smart covers damage the side of the iPad, as in wear off some aluminium.

Has anyone been using one over a long term period so i can get some info and their story?

I'd love to use a smart cover + screen protector, but i'm a bit hesitant. Google search is giving me very mixed results. Anyone help?

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I had mine on most of the time, but I did take it off VERY frequently (at least twice a day) for short periods. Never once did it damage the iPad in any way. Small parts of the aluminum on the actual Smart Cover darkened a bit, though. But the iPad itself was never damaged.

3. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Towelie1288

yes i had this problem on the side of my ipad 2
    it would look like a little discoloration
    but i didnt reallly trip about it
    wont stop me from using the smart cover again though

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I used the smart cover and no other protection for a year.

Took the smart cover off usually a few times a day.

No damage what so ever

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

It's a possibility that the smart cover can cause cosmetic damage to the iPad chassis. If you're really worried about it, I would suggest using a laminate on the back of the iPad. I just ordered my custom Gelaskin and they've been really good for the previous 3 generations of products I've used them on.

6. rollzst macrumors member

I've used one 24/ 7 for a year. It won't damage the iPad but the smart cover gets damage on the side

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I use a smart cover and a zagg invisible shield, so the smart cover never actually touched my iPad but it works perfectly. So no damage on my iPad 2, I am doing th same with my new iPad when it comes on friday.

8. SamFisher thread starter macrumors member

So same, kinda mixed results. I guess certain iPads may have a higher tolerance (more or less finish could be reason i guess) Still on the fence, might even ask an apple store employee and see what their stance is on if it occurs...

9. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've been using it since launch last year, and my iPad is in perfect condition still... not even a mark

10. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

The smart cover did mark mine.

Nothing major, just mild aluminium "polishing" if you know what I mean?

I'll use an invisible shield on the back this time around :D

11. SuperRob macrumors regular

I used to think my Smart Cover was causing scratches. I'd take it off and there'd be these dark, scratch-like blemishes all over where it was connected. A little spit on my thumb and they came right off.

The only scratches on my iPad 2 were from setting it down on a rough tile countertop a little too lazily. There weren't any I could trace back to the cover.

My only concern about the cover is that it's own aluminum seems prone to discoloring, and the pins holding the cover to the aluminum connectors seem to bend easily. But after a year, despite getting a bit dirty, the cover still works perfectly.

Didn't stop me from upgrading to a dark grey one for my iPad 3, though.

12. SamFisher thread starter macrumors member

I can settle for the actual cover being somewhat damaged, as it's easily replaceable, (well, kinda. it's still expensive for a case, but better than 100's of moneys)

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I had my ipad2 and cover since launch (sold it last Wed.). The cover was on and off probably a dozen times a day without leaving any permanent marks (I don't like holding it for long periods with the cover attached).

Sometimes, I would see a smudge near one of the cover's pads, but they came off with a bit of moisture and rubbing with a finger.

14. kujen macrumors newbie

From what I've seen, it causes two dark spots on the back of the iPad...which easily comes off if you rub them with a cloth. The hinges of the smart cover seem to be what gets scratched a little (not the iPad).

15. SamFisher thread starter macrumors member

Even though these are good answers, (but mixed) I'm definitely going to bring this up next week at a local apple store... I will post their response too...

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I used a clear film on the back of my iPad 2 with a smart cover for a while. The smart cover makes no contact with the side of the device this way.

17. SamFisher thread starter macrumors member

wonder if some selotape on the left side would work XD...

18. HelveticaNeue, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

My Smart Cover did leave a very tiny wear mark on my iPad. It was where a tiny piece of dirt (or something, IDK) got onto the rubber Smart Cover bumper and must have rubbed against the iPad. However, it is super minor ... this coming from a very picky person. It still bothers me though.

Nonetheless, the Smart Cover is awesome and worth the risk.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A lot of mixed results on here...

Would also like to try out a smartcover.

20. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Do any of you use those leather sprays to protect the smart cover leather from stains, water damage, etc.? How does that work? Also, anyone use the leather cleaners to remove dirt that accumulated on their covers?

----------

I'm thinking might be worth putting just a little tape on the feet of the cover. I wonder if that would affect the strength of the magnet. Probably so thin wouldn't make a difference...

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Used one for a year on my iPad2. No damage whatsoever.

I cheated though. I had a BestSkinsEver skin on my iPad2, so it sat between the smart cover and the iPad's casing. :D

I will be doing the same thing with my new iPad. Even kept my black leather smart cover when I sold the ipad2 as I guessed they might retain compatibility. :cool:

22. bmat macrumors 6502

I have two slight marks on mine after a full year of use. Definitely rubbed off the coating a bit/scratched the iPad. Not a big deal to me, but there. When others said that this was happening some time ago, I didn't think it was -- and I think I posted no marks. But now my launch day iPad does have them.

I don't think it is a big deal, and I will use a smartcover on my new iPad.

23. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

for me it wasn't the side that the smart cover connects to, it was the opposite side when using the cover as a stand that had scratches

24. socaltyger macrumors newbie

Used the smart cover mainly for its lightweight form factor. It definitely left a polished aluminum type mark on my ipad2 where the magnets attach to the back. Was still able to sell it though.

I'd be more worried about flipping the smart cover over to where the microfiber rubs onto a dirty table. There was an ultra fine scratch on my screen and I've since wondered how it got there. Whenever I flip the cover, I make sure it's folded in to hide the microfiber side.

25. SamFisher thread starter macrumors member

good stuff here...

----------

Great advice...