Smart cover hinge magnets have scratched my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cRuNcHiE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

:mad:

I have just noticed that where the smart cover connects to my iPad, there are 2 marks where some of the aluminium has been worn/scratched away. One of them is pretty bad.

Upon looking at the smart cover hinge, i can see two points where it looks like the metal magnet is starting to poke through the plastic strip.

By looking at the teardown HERE it lines up exactly with where two of the 'blobs' are.

Considering this will reduce my resale value, do you think i should get this replaced before warranty runs out as the rest of the iPad is in MINT condition

Attached Files:

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Scratches? Scratches in a hunk of aluminum at a junction where two metal objects interact... OMG the end of the world is nigh!

Repent!

3. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong, the hinge has a plastic strip so it shouldn't be metal on metal, however two of the magnets are protruding and caused the damage

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Is there some sort of back cover or hard case you're using? One of the marks looks more like a dent. None of them look like normal wear. I've got one tiny mark, but nothing like yours. Not sure why it would reduce your resale value, though. Try buffing them out and pull off the smart cover weekly to make sure there's no gunk stuck to it.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Always use front and back skin protection (like BestSkinsEver) on your iPad. You can still use a silly cover with it installed and it would be better protected from damage like this.

6. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a black gel skin around the rest of the iPad. There are no dents whatsoever

The 4th photo is of the smart cover hinge with magnet poking through. The marks line up perfectly with where the magnets are.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Just took a look at mine. There is a very tiny mark on one side where the SmartCover attaches. Otherwise, no evidence. The photos you posted are considerably more obvious. If it were me, I'd have it replaced, especially since the damage appears to have been caused by an Apple product.

8. atjames macrumors newbie

Takee it to an Apple store. I'm sure they will replace it.

9. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Next you'll be asking when you should go to the toilet. :cool:

10. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If it bothers you, you could certainly make an appointment and ask about it.

I wouldn't worry about resale value, however. Unless you are planning on selling to a museum in 20 years (and if you are, you should have left it mint-in-box), just sell it to the next owner with a smart cover in place. They are certain to understand wear and tear.

After all, someone who buys a second hand iPad isn't looking for perfection, they are looking for a good price.

If they wanted perfection, they'd buy a new one (then exchange it 20 times at the genius bar in search of the best iPad ever made).

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap this. They would replace it without any explanation require. :D

12. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I have the same scratches, but the smart cover didn't do it. I took the cover off for one day, and something got stuck between the cover and the iPad when I put the cover back on.

13. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah you have to be careful with that but in my case the magnets are definitely poking through the plastic strip. I've only taken it off a handful of times.

Will head to the apple store tomorrow and see what they say.

14. ped macrumors regular

This whole thread makes me like my original iPad and its ghetto-looking black Apple wrap-around cover all the more. Zero damage and in fact this cover has saved the unit from damage on one occasion.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

That's strange, as I'm constantly putting mine on and off (sometimes, just for fun), yet it's certainly not marked like that.

My only concern is that after time, the leather Smart covers can get a bit grubby, but that's to be expected.

16. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

17. yegon macrumors 68030

Mine has a scratch caused by the smart cover too, doesn't bother me much though.

18. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I Bought A Smart Cover

Used it once, realising it could cause just such damage. I don't think Apple are going to be too interested but I guess you could try.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

When I decided to ditch the ghetto looking case I was using and get a smart cover, I got a $10 smart cover compatible back cover too, but before snapping it on to the iPad, I put a strip of scotch tape where the smart cover was going to connect with the iPad. So far, no dings or damage or anything of the sort. Cheap way to do it, but it actually doesn't look half bad and all contact points are protected.

I suggest the same preventative measures if you get it replaced.

20. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to update:-

I took it to an Apple store and they replaced both the iPad and smart cover without any hassle at all.

The first replacement had broken wifi though!

The 'genius' said it wasn't the first time he had seen it happen and it seems to be a manufacturing fault rather than through wear and tear.

Either way, it was replaced :) and my replacement doesn't have backlight bleed! result!

21. doboy macrumors 68020

Yeah, Apple is pretty good about customer service/satisfaction. Obviously, it wasn't a normal wear and tear situation. For Apple, they can just replace the outer casing on yours and make it a refurb.

22. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

That's awesome. I would expect them to replace that sort of heavy damage! I try to be really careful when applying the smart cover - I don't just smack the two together like some people seem to.

23. musika macrumors 65816

musika

This is why I cut a strip of scotch tape down the side of my iPad 2 where it connects to the cover.

:D

24. iAmYou, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

No issues here using the smart cover.
    From these pictures it looks like a little more than just the smart cover causing damage.

25. Lloyd50 macrumors member

Awesome thread, just looked at my ipad and I'm having the same issue. Taking to apple store when I get home from work to get a replacement.