Smart Covers - simply brilliant!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mikethebigo, Mar 19, 2011.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Do some of you remember when people on the forum criticized Apple for making such a big deal in the keynote about the smart covers? I know I personally thought they weren't such a big deal myself, but after using them a while, it makes me wonder - why has no one ever done this before? They are just amazing in their simplicity and the way they work together with the iPad to increase functionality.

Do you guys think the smart covers actually add a lot of value to the iPad and its form factor?

2. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I was very skeptical but tried it out figuring I can return it if I didn't like it.

I too love the smart cover having used it since Tuesday.

I love how thin and light it is. Works great as a typing stand and video stand. I like how you can fold it in half on itself and have the magnets stick keeping it flat and out of the way of the rear camera (and easier to hold without it flopping around). And the instant wake up/put to sleep when opening/closing is great as well.

Over priced at $39/79, but a nifty cover. I also got neoprene netbook sleeve I put it in for protection when putting it in my bag etc.

3. iMule macrumors 6502

Where'd you get your neoprene sleeve? I have an Incase one for my MacBook Pro and I love it. I dropped it on the asphalt on my way into work and it was completely unharmed.

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

I agree, I picked up one a few days after using the iPad without and I'm really enjoying how it works. Makes for a great handle, stand and protector but I do wish the magnets were just a bit more powerful when in the triangle as I have had issues trying to get it to stand up sometimes.

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I got it Target. It's made by Tuari, is a 10.2" laptop sleeve and cost $12.99.

Has a small pocket on the front that I keep a microfiber cloth in for wiping down the screen.

6. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Make sure you're making the triangle with the soft side on the outside, and not the leather/plastic. If you do it backwards the magnets don't stick together nearly as strongly.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Hmmmmm maybe that's why mine kept falling when watching Netflix. :cool:

8. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Someone did. It's just that nobody cared about it until Apple told them to.

[​IMG]
    (Thats the Incase Jacket for original iPad)

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I saw one today for the first time. I love how it works and the concept. However, I took a pass and bought a Griffin Elan Folio slim instead. My preference was the smart cover but it just did not protect the outer shell like I wanted. I know it's a tough exterior and meant to be used but I'm sure it can be marked up or scuffed. I just decided the take the high road on this. Personal choice.

If you're not worried about stuff like that, the smart cover is a great option!

10. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I just tried and it works great... That was my biggest complaint before. I wish it was the other way around to keep the micro fiber clean.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm starting to like the cover as I figure out when I just fold it back, and when to just remove it. I find it a bit uncomfortable to hold the iPad with the cover on, because of where the hinge edge hits the inside of my hand. But, when I leave it sitting in it's home on my couch, I put the cover back on. Also, I just leave it on and folded back when I have the iPad propped up on a pillow and I'm not holding the iPad at all.

I also bought this simple sleeve to protect it when I take it out - either by itself or in my computer bag: http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/suedejacket-ipad.php

12. IrishTiger macrumors regular

I love the baby blue color on my white iPad..... But I think it's stupid. I can't get the damn thing to do anything useful. Now if it magnetically locked back when you flipped it over it would be much better. I tried using it for a day, and then since then it's in a drawer. I might give it another try. It is cute, but silly at the same time.

13. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Hah, didn't know those existed.

14. AlxRymnd914 macrumors member

The whole point of the smart cover it to have something that can easily be taken off the iPad quickly. Also, something that doesn't take away from the asthetics of the iPad. The case above is none of those things. The only similarity is that it creates a stand. The case you posted requires the user to snap the iPad into that backing adding more bulk to the device and taking away from the design.

15. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Erm. . .that's not similar at all apart from the fact it rolls up in a triangular sense.

The point is. . .it's not a case (as that one is).

Smart Covers eliminate unnecessary bulk, keep it slim, and work brilliantly.

I'm worried about buying one incase the metal edge scratches the edge of my iPad to which its connected. Can anyone debunk my fears?

16. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Just can't pull the trigger on one of these. Something about them doesn't mesh with my aesthetic preferences.

17. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

18. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

19. epi117 macrumors 6502

I purchased the cover, but returned it same day. I felt naked, my baby needs a tad more protection.

Picked up a really light griffin case that cingular store had for 50% off, fits like a glove ( not perect alignment for straps) but gives me that extra protection i wanted.

20. hayesk macrumors 65816

To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "you're using it wrong." Seriously, the iPad cover isn't for him. It's for people who want to use it on a flat surface. And there's a reason it comes off so easily - for when you are using your iPad on a not so flat surface - like your lap, for example.

If you need a case, get a case. This isn't pretending to be a case. And you can bet there will be third party cases that use magnets for automatic locking/unlocking, if there aren't already.

21. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

A. Take cover off instead of worrying about flippIng it around the backside, thats probably why the made it so easy to remove...

B. Place the iPad cover down on your table to prevent scratching... A little common sense goes a long way

22. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I set mine on top my neoprene sleeve if I'm using it on a table etc. to protect the back when using it in public.

I don't have a problem using the typing stand in my lap, it stays in place pretty well.

Also, for the complaints about flopping around--have some not realized it will stick together if you fold it in half (so the plastic/leather is on the outside)? Then it's not blocking the camera and it's easy to hold it from flapping around when it's in the half position.

As for lack of protection, I'm careful with my gadgets and just want a screen cover/stand on it while using it and the sleeve provides enough protection for when putting it an bag etc. I have no interest in a full case like the iPad 1 case personally. But there will be plenty of 3rd party cases for those who need/want more protection.

23. eyefocus2 macrumors newbie

This what i use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KXJE4M

24. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I use the incase ipad sleeve. Works great