Smart watches are just a fad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by meechy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. meechy macrumors 6502

What is the purpose of a smart watch? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our phone to check a new message/email etc?

It's just a fad and i predict in 2 years time smart watches will be a thing of the past.

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Sure. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. Just like 3D TV. Look how that imploded. No one cares about it now, totally imploded.

Same thing with this Apple Watch. Having to be tethered to an iPhone absolutely kills it. There's no point.

Maybe in five years, when the Apple Watch is cut down 2/3 in size, and it has its own radio for wireless communication, maybe then there is a reason for it. But not now.

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I love 3D. It was just poorly implemented for television. It's wonderful for sports games and travel/environmental documentaries.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If you're at a meeting, or in class, or something where it's inappropriate to take out your phone...then you've got your smart watch.

It also monitors health BS. And I guess the different skins for the clock portion of it are worth $349 to a certain type of consumer.

I don't see myself buying one, or at least not this first generation model which doesn't offer me anything I care about, but there is a market for it.

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'll hold out for the round version in a few years.

7. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Let's all bookmark this thread and come back to it in a few years to laugh at the OP. Seriously, the same thing was said about the iPod, iPhone, and iPad when they launched. Look at the massive success they brought.

8. meechy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wrong, they are all totally different standalone products. This watch is not, it's just an overpriced accessory which cannot fully work without an iPhone.

9. firewood macrumors 604

That's what they said about pocket watches. Anybody you know actually still buys a pocket watch?

----------

There are car collectors who still buy cars with round headlights. Not as many as buy today's hybrid cars though... even the luxury cars now seem to have bizarre LED patterns in front.

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I loathe those dumb LED headlights. I don't think there's a car that's designed very well anymore. Just a mish-mash of weird angles. As if they're all from a Michael Bay movie.

11. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

If it was my meeting, or class, or dinner, or wedding or whatever, I would consider it just about as inappropriate to monkey around with a smart watch as a smart phone.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I would too, but those are still settings where it's more socially acceptable to glance at a watch to see who texted you/liked you/etc. than it is to pull out your form.

13. firewood macrumors 604

With silent haptic feedback, plus an unobtrusive reach for their agenda, textbook, silverware, or wedding program, you won't even know they got a message. With practice, could probably even tap the correct reply while adjusting their cufflinks or blouse, and not taking their eyes off you.

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Fashion. Ego. Status. Fitness Tracking. Even without the fitness aspect, they're going to sell millions of these based solely on the first three items.

Yes. There's no point in arguing with it if you are Apple. Cater to it and profit.

You're going to regret this post.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

So were smartphones.

Some fads can last awhile.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes it was, I'm too lazy to look up old threads, but I'd imagine similar things were also said about the iPod Hi-Fi and the G4 Cube neither of which was much of a success. With how much Apple has put into the watch I'm sure they'll keep it going for a while even if it has poor sales, and it might end up like the appleTV where it is a small product that eventually builds up to decent sales, but it isn't like they haven't failed at things before.

17. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Very valid points. It feels different with the Apple Watch though. I think it'll be a huge hit. Bookmarking this.

18. firewood macrumors 604

They did not pry Ann Wintour away from NY Fashion Week for the iPod Hi-Fi. This is closer to a MacBook Retina level announcement.

----------

It predict a fad like the iPad. Essentially no one wanted book-sized tablets before Apple's. Now every company makes them, billion dollar industry, but Apple still holds 50% of the market after the newness started tapering off. Big, but not as big as the iPhone.

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Then again we all might come back in a few years and see how right the OP was. You never know. :)

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I disagree I feel that the :apple:Watch has a lot of purpose and is not just a fad.

21. BingoBlue macrumors member

I have to agree with the OP. (but they will sell a LOAD of these.... i might be tempted still)

I would also hesitate to wear this at work - not being in the industry - I am very much a pen/paper guy a meetings also.

22. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

The Apple Watch is an OK first start. I don't think it's better than my Suunto, but it soon can be...

Handoff - a great idea
    Haptic feedback - great
    Wallet Integration - great
    Crown idea - great

Thickness - not so great
    Square face - not so great
    Rounded edges - not good
    Daily Charging - not good
    Lack of integrated GPS - bad
    Not Waterproof to 50 M - awful

I've had 5 phones in seven years. I'm sure the rate of obsolescence in these things will be even faster. I can't wait for the Apple Watch III

23. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Smart watches are extremely valuable for tracking users, providing a constant source of personal health info and other data to insurance companies. The insurance industry traditionally pays very well for this info.

Apples influence over its customers causes them to believe that their data is safe, therefore Apple watches will remain in high demand. Steve Jobs greatest accomplishment was convincing people Apple was the rebel company that only had the customers best interests in mind. A brilliant move indeed.

24. hoofhrtd1254 macrumors member

There is another certain other smart watch that has its own cellular antenna.

25. mtmac macrumors regular

I think Apple Pay could end up being the killer app that suddenly gives people a reason to buy a smart watch. Think how nice it would be to just wave your watch by a register rather than reaching for your wallet and locating a credit card. Your information will be much more secure, and payments could automatically be transferred onto a spreadsheet. Moms holding a kid would love something like this. Or just the vast number of people that don't use a check register now would suddenly have an automatic one. Expense reports, budgets and taxes would all become easier and instantaneous. If Apple Pay takes off, so will their watches.

That coupled with the more discrete way of checking texts and screening calls, I can see the allure, however a $200-$250 price tag would get so many more adopters.