Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcbandxi

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
All Wearables are a Fad

Simply a transition state to embedables. I have been hearing about "wearable computers" since I worked in NYC in 1988. It's 25 years later and now we have a watch as an ancillary device to the smartphone. The technically interesting part is the biometric sensors and the really interesting sociological aspect will occur when you can embed the technology in your body and have it powered by your body heat or electrochemical systems. Then you won't be worrying about charging it, putting it on at the right time, losing it. It will be part of you.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. And hey, that's just going to be a transition phase to full post-biological evolution, which I think will take a lot longer. Embedables will be here in 20 years.

Reactions: papbot and Wackery

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Simply a transition state to embedables. I have been hearing about "wearable computers" since I worked in NYC in 1988. It's 25 years later and now we have a watch as an ancillary device to the smartphone. The technically interesting part is the biometric sensors and the really interesting sociological aspect will occur when you can embed the technology in your body and have it powered by your body heat or electrochemical systems. Then you won't be worrying about charging it, putting it on at the right time, losing it. It will be part of you.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. And hey, that's just going to be a transition phase to full post-biological evolution, which I think will take a lot longer. Embedables will be here in 20 years.

I'm not sure how practical that would be, given that you'd have to get a surgical procedure every time you upgrade. :/

saskateam

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Not a fad. But I wonder if they'll get viewed as the new nerdy calculator watches for the 21st century.

I do not think this will be the same as the calculator watch, even though I had one and used it. If you carried around a calculator in your pocket or had pens to take notes you were a geek, now you have a phone that you do all of these on and more. Gamers used to be only geeks, now it is a large industry. Apple has done a lot to make this all main stream sleek and cool. I used to be made fun of for my nerdy behavior, now I am the tech savvy guy in the office, everyone goes to for the latest and greatest.

Life sure has changed since my calculator watch and I think it will become the next hit things for the younger generation. It will be retro and hip to have a watch on again. Sell to the youth and everyone else will be lining up to recapture their youth.

Will be nice to have a watch on again. And I cannot believe I just said that, as I was the one saying I don't need a watch cause I take my phone with me everywhere I go. The companion device part of it is a huge benefit for me. I will still go everywhere with my iPhone.

I also see gaming options for this, iPhone controller in one hand and companion controller on the other wrist, both linked and measuring movement.

hrt

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
NFC could also be used for unlocking your house or your car. While you can fumble for your phone, holding bags of groceries would just make a watch that much more convenient. Smart watches haven't yet succeeded because there isn't yet an irresistible feature that exists. Getting rid of your keys, credit cards and tickets and not even having to reach for a device to do it would likely be the killer app that would make everyone want one.

I also do believe that there is a huge potential for smart watches in the particular examples mentioned above but owning the latest iPhone should not be a requirement.

it should be possible to setup / manage data on the watch using iTunes.

For instances for people not interested for emails / IM functionalities, there is no point to have a permanent connection to an iPhone.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I assume the OP was just trolling. Or has never read any sci-fi or any futurist oriented articles. Just about every one of them speaks about wrist or forearm communication devices, some with screens, some with a holo display of some kind. Military applications would be considerable, eventually trickling down to the average consumer.

For me not having to dig a phone out from under a parka in winter or even take one with me if I don’t want to is reason enough. When I was working our facility had WiFi throughout and I could leave my phone in a locker but the connection between it and my watch was sustained and I could get calls, messages or anything else I needed without dragging the phone around.

Reactions: Wackery

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
What is the purpose of a smart watch? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our phone to check a new message/email etc?

It's just a fad and i predict in 2 years time smart watches will be a thing of the past.

⌚ A "fad" that is 7 years in and going strong and getting stronger!!!! ⌚

⌚ Smart watches are now commonplace. ⌚

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
⌚ A "fad" that is 7 years in and going strong and getting stronger!!!! ⌚

⌚ Smart watches are now commonplace. ⌚
At one time ages ago wristwatches were looked down upon. Anyone of a certain status used pocket watches. They were also more accurate because their position relative to the ground did not change whereas wristwatches were constantly changing positions. I believe it was Rolex that came out with a wristwatch of equal accuracy and status and we’ve never looked back.

Before Apple there wasn’t a lot going on in the smartwatch arena, now here we are again, and I don’t think the trend will reverse anytime soon.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
What is the purpose of a smart watch? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our phone to check a new message/email etc?

It's just a fad and i predict in 2 years time smart watches will be a thing of the past.
Haha 😂. I’m kind of with you…and I’ve had multiple models of the AW (S1, 2, 3, 5. 6 and now 7). Well, it’s a watch. That’s one use 😊. Besides that…the only real use that I can think of…that I couldn’t just get from my phone are the fitness features for runs, etc….

I always have my phone with me…and…I don’t connect my watch to a cellular plan!

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013

What is the purpose of a smartphone? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our computers to check a new message/email etc?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
What is the purpose of a smartphone? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our computers to check a new message/email etc?
What is the purpose of a computer? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our friends, wall clock, newspapers, etc. to check a new message/news etc?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
What is the purpose of a computer? I really can't see any benefit of owning one. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our friends, wall clock, newspapers, etc. to check a new message/news etc?
What is the purpose of friends, family, wall clock, newspapers, etc? I really can't see any benefit of owning/knowing those. Are we really getting that lazy that we can't even reach out to our inner self to check a new message/email/time. etc?

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
To the OPs credit, I’d wager money that watch adoption (not measured in unit sales but rather daily use) FAR trails the smartphone over the same period of early existence.

I suspect that a majority (and maybe even a vast majority) of consumers that purchase an Apple Watch end up using the device for fewer than 90 days total before they sit perpetually dead in the sock drawer.

I’m not dissing the watch, it’s just that the smartphone was far more… transformational/compelling as a MUST-use device than wearables so far.

That said, I’m excited for my Ultra to be delivered tomorrow!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
To the OPs credit, I’d wager money that watch adoption (not measured in unit sales but rather daily use) FAR trails the smartphone over the same period of early existence.

I suspect that a majority (and maybe even a vast majority) of consumers that purchase an Apple Watch end up using the device for fewer than 90 days total before they sit perpetually dead in the sock drawer.

I’m not dissing the watch, it’s just that the smartphone was far more… transformational/compelling as a MUST-use device than wearables so far.

That said, I’m excited for my Ultra to be delivered tomorrow!
That’s not a fair comparison. The smart phone is a lot more capable so of course it will get more use. The smart watch is merely an extension of the smart phone but the watch can do things that the phone can’t, which is where I think they blossomed- health and medical. This is evident by the numerous posts of people not wanting to upgrade until a new health sensor is introduced.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm hoping eventually technology will advance until the computing power of today's desktops can be packed into a watch-size device. Then we could all be wearing our computer on our wrists, and connect to peripherals like monitors and keyboards when at home/office. Some people will carry an iPhone-size screen for reading while on the go, while others will say the watch screen is good enough. I think of Apple Watch as intermediate steps toward getting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.