Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Smartcover is definitely cool and does what it says; it also does nothing for the back ( obviously ). I scratch-tested my iPad2 last night on our corian countertop - I am now not proud to report that my iPad2 has a nice 2" long scratch across the back.

With that said, what are some of the options to augment the Smartcover and provide a little protection for the back, travel sleeves excluded.

doctajay

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
I'm going with one of the shins from The Lucky Labs. They are stylish and seem to have good reviews

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Smartcover is definitely cool and does what it says; it also does nothing for the back ( obviously ). I scratch-tested my iPad2 last night on our corian countertop - I am now not proud to report that my iPad2 has a nice 2" long scratch across the back.

With that said, what are some of the options to augment the Smartcover and provide a little protection for the back, travel sleeves excluded.

I wondered about that. I've been mostly keeping my original iPad in the Apple case when it's not in its keyboard dock. It's really a matter of what you can tolerate. Scratches to the back are purely cosmetic, and not even in the sense screen scratches are "cosmetic."

I'd try those back skins as recommended. Me, I'm trying not to let these things bother me so much anymore -- never bought a case for my iPhone 4 -- but if it does trouble you, definitely the back skin: lowest profile option I think; full case will only bulk it up.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Didn't bother with a case for most of the life of my iPhone 3G, back got scratched to hell and front has a few minor (but annoying) scratches. I just didn't like not being able to use the dock and what not (basically the whole point of a smart cover is to not interfere with using accessories and such)

BUT I will definitely be putting an invisible shield on the back and maybe on the front (haven't decided how much the glass smoothness is worth to me)

I know for me, protecting it from scratches is important not just to not annoy myself, but to preserve resale value when the ipad 3 comes out. (I don't normally sell my stuff after but apple stuff holds it's value well and I really wanted better cams/higher res screen)

so I'll either be doing zagg back, smart cover front, or zagg front/back and smart cover front as well. I don't tend to abuse my stuff and I'm sure the ipad will be safely inside a bag if i'm climbing over rocks or something.

worried about scratches much more than drops/spills

abooch1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Any good colored skins for the back? I want to get a black one to match the smartcover?

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
+1 for BestSkinsEver

I've used their stuff since my first BlackBerry and they've always been good and cheaper than the others.

Now I just have to keep from scratching my precious until the skin arrives!

wntrdove

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
I think I'm finally gonna get a gelaskin. Since I've always and cases that covered the back I didn't see the point. But since the smart cover leaves the back exposed I'll finally be able to enjoy one.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
IMO I get the feeling they left the back exposed on purpose to reduce the number of 2nd hand sales in the future due to wear and tear

hwu182

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
I am very interested in both Ghost Armor and BestSkinsEver. Does anyone know if the back protection for the iPad 2 is Matte or Glossy? Also, any idea on wat the feel is like? With ZAGG Invisibleshields, its glossy and grippy. I absolutely hate the grippy feel, and prefer something closer to the actual aluminum's smoothness.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Not sure if anyone knows since I don't think any of these have been released yet.

I know I pre-ordered the BestSkinsEver and I think they're going to start shipping them out on the 14th.

hwu182

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Not sure if anyone knows since I don't think any of these have been released yet.

I know I pre-ordered the BestSkinsEver and I think they're going to start shipping them out on the 14th.

Yeah. I just assumed that the companies would use the same material as the original ipad, just redesign the cuts to fit the 2nd gen. So I guess im directing this more towards iPad 1 owners

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
IMO I get the feeling they left the back exposed on purpose to reduce the number of 2nd hand sales in the future due to wear and tear

they left the back exposed so that the cover would be quick and easy to take off. they wanted it quick and easy to take off so you weren't sacrificing the looks of the device as well as the functionality (using it with docks)

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I've ordered one bestskinever and one of DODOcase's book backs. Hopefully one of these will do the trick.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I don't understand the point of putting a giant case on something like the ipad 2 where one of it's biggest selling points is it's thinness. though I guess everyone has different needs.

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Which ones are easier to put on? "Ghost Armor" or "BestSkinsEver"? Are they applied with liquid? Those are really good prices, having purchased Zaggs for all of my devices in the past. Anyone know if either of these have the lifetime warrantee?

escape1974

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
I bought a gelaskin for use with my smart cover. I'm not sure if I'll use the front part, but I've used their skins since my 3G iPhone and they've always held up really well. Their iPad 2 skins start shipping on Monday.

http://www.gelaskins.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.