Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikusmile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Hi All,

I have MacBook pro late 2011 model 13 inch. My MacBook charger was getting old so recently I bought another one. I thought my older charger wasn't charging but I used to see the green
light whenever plugged in but I thought its not working so bought new one. Now after buying new charger I realised the problem is related to SMC reset. So I tried to do SMC reset by holding
down Shift + Alt + Option +Power button all the same time for few seconds and released together and then pressed power button again but nothing happening. Light is still blinking. As soon as I hold these keys blinking of the light stops.
One time I released all the buttons except power button which I released in the end and it turned on my MacBook but the fan was running extremely fast (sign of issue related to SMC Reset). My MacBook is running fine but its not connected to the battery now. I am sure my lattery is not fully dead because I checked its life couple of weeks back and it was showing that its still have more than 60% life/cycles.
Can someone help me out and let me know what else I can try to reset SMC because conventional way is not working on my MBP or is there anything else thats causing the issue.

thanks in advance

regards

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
If it works when disconnected from the battery but not while connected, SMC resets don't change things, and you have replaced the charger, that pretty much means the battery is defective.

vikusmile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for your time to look into my question.

I didn't disconnect the battery because it's not detachable and inside the MBP. All I am doing to turn it on is hold all above mentioned keys together and release all keys except power key which I release in the end and this way it turns on.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I didn't disconnect the battery because it's not detachable and inside the MBP. All I am doing to turn it on is hold all above mentioned keys together and release all keys except power key which I release in the end and this way it turns on.
- Alright. You said that "its not connected to the battery", though. It can still be disconnected if it's not easily removable.

So it doesn't turn on when you just press the power button as normal, and the SMC reset doesn't fix it. And the only way it turns on is by releasing the buttons in that specific sequence. Correct?
To be clear, does it turn on when you release the power button using that method, or does it turn on when you press the power button again after releasing it?
And which light is blinking?

vikusmile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
It turns on only using that sequence. It doesnt turn on with SMC reset method. By saying its not connected to battery I meant its showing an icon of battery with cross (x) on it. I am not with my MBP right now but will post pics after an hour of so with that sign.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
It turns on only using that sequence. It doesnt turn on with SMC reset method. By saying its not connected to battery I meant its showing an icon of battery with cross (x) on it. I am not with my MBP right now but will post pics after an hour of so with that sign.
- Still mostly seems to suggest a defective battery, I think.

You should try disconnecting it internally to see how everything works then.

vikusmile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Yea it looks like it has something to do with the battery. I will see if I can disconnect it myself or not.

Warna Vithanage

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
Im having the same issue with my macbook pro 13" 2011.Macbook pro doesnt startup with the power key.whenever it starts up,fan keeps spinning faster and shows up a x symbol on battery.SMC didnt fix anything.Any solutions ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.