Smoking Deal!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mackage, Jul 5, 2011.

1. mackage macrumors 6502

2. jonwiggler macrumors newbie

Woohoo $23 whole dollars vs. going with Amazon! Haha. J/K. Congrats!

3. mackage, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

You may want to look at the auction again. This is the 2.7ghz model which is $1,424 even on Amazon before tax.

Even if I would have bought this unit at Apple with the education discount and sale of the gift card, there would have been quite a difference in price.

Bought at Apple:

$1,399 (with education discount)
    -80 (sale of gift card)
    +116 (tax)

Total = $1,435

What I actually paid = $1,117 - 22.34 (ebay bucks) = $1,094.66

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Nice little score you made. I'm sure other potential bidders made the same mistake the previous poster did...assuming that it was a base model and didn't represent that much of a value.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I don't give the auction description much credibility, they listed the HD space as 8GB...maybe the only error but then again maybe not.

6. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't be a hater. He also shows a side shot of the box showing the serial number which I looked up at Apple. He also listed the model number in the main title which is the 2.7ghz model. I have the tracking and will update this thread on Thursday when it arrives.

7. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi mackage,
    just want to say that this seller has one of the worst ratings I see on eBay (92%)
    Here are some of his feedbacks:

Attached Files:

8. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the haters come in flocks now don't they. This is the exact reason I didn't post this thread until I received a tracking number from the guy. Just so the haters wouldn't benefit by emailing the seller offering him more for the unit seeing as I received such a good deal.

Here is the thing, hater #2; I run a business on ebay and know all the quirks. I have full protection from Paypal on my payment so there is nothing to lose. Not to mention, I think this sellers feedback is one of the things that landed me such a good deal. The few negatives he received in the PAST scared away the timid paranoid folks. You failed to post the numerous good feedbacks he has received in recent months which also consisted of some higher dollar items. Nonetheless, as I stated before I run a business on ebay and know how to access feedback and its trends. In my mind, this seller is legit as the next and worth the small chance I took to land such a good deal. If by the small chance it doesn't work out than I will simply get my money back.

9. jedolley macrumors 68000

Congrats on the deal, but try not to be so defensive... There was nothing in the last poster's comments to suggest he was being a "hater". IMO, it sounded like a friendly warning.

It sounds like you are well versed in the world of eBay, and that's good, but that doesn't change the fact that eBay is still filled with scum and bad deals. I don't fault anyone for trying to give someone a heads up just in case.

Again, congrats on the deal (if it works out), but something tells me I'll just be labelled "Hater #3". I guess I'll go drink my Hater-Ade... (Wait who says this crap anymore? :p)

10. mrzeigler macrumors regular

I sooooooo hate you for labeling yourself "Hater #3" before I could call you that.:mad:

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have to side with you a bit more then Stan about this being a bad seller. All the negative feedbacks were over a refurb vs new same item. That just may have been a simple error on the seller's part. I also sell on ebay and clicking the wrong box is possible.

12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

It's a good deal. But the other person was right about the 92%. That is a really low rating. Best of luck.

13. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

let us know if you ever recieve the item... Me thinks your payment just went to the Ukraine!

14. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

That is a low rating. Also, if you were so well-versed on eBay, you would know that getting your money from PayPal can be problematic. And your comment that you have access to feedback? You don't have any more access than a first-timer. Your theory that he sold it at a lower BIN price because of his feedback is just a guess.

I hope everything works out. But, please don't try to imply that because you run an eBay business that you have more knowledge and privileges than the rest of us.

15. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

To be fair the seller only has 31 sales under their belt and out of those only 2 negative feedbacks which has bought their average down. Whilst people are happy to point out the negative feedback it would seem that 28 people have left positive feedback - kind of put's all this nay saying into some context.

To the OP - I'm sure it will all work out and don't let all the negative posts spoil your enjoyment as you await delivery of your new iMac.

16. frontsidebus macrumors newbie

This really isn't the case anymore (it most definitely used to be). If you file a complaint and say the item was not as describe or defective, they will let you return and when the tracking # says it was delivered, will refund your money. The process takes around 2 weeks start to finish.

17. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

Does this make any sense? Who cares where my payment went although the seller is here in the USA? I have FULL PROTECTION via Paypal.

I think it's funny how paranoid some people are about buying things on ebay. I have run a business on ebay for 5 years and have done very well with it. It's all about reading the user agreements and knowing what is or isn't acceptable.

18. mackage, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

It wasn't a buy it now and I am not sure where you got that idea? Probably because you don't have the ability to even read an ebay auction page but feel you have the knowledge to come here and make comments.

I meant assess, not access. No where did I state I have any more privileges than others on ebay. However, I do have more knowledge so you are wrong there. It clearly shows seeing as a lot of you just don't get the fact that I really didn't risk anything and the worst that can happen is I loaned my funds to someone for a few weeks in the hopes of saving hundreds on my purchase. Getting my money back, if need be, isn't any more problematic than posting this thread and watching all the haters come out. Simply easy.

While I continue to save money and make money because I wasn't too lazy to learn the ins and outs of ebay/Paypal which includes simply reading and understanding a user agreement we are all required to agree to, the haters can spend more money than need be and continue to look down upon those with money still in their pockets.

19. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi again,
    sorry I couldn't warn you before you won the auction...my point was that from 31 ratings he has 3 negatives - all that he sold a refurb for 'new' product...
    So you might get refurb, too.

20. Kendo macrumors 68000

If brand new, it is a fantastic deal.

I wouldn't take it too negatively when people are warning you that it might be a refurb. No one wants to see you get ripped. They are simply trying to give a heads up.

21. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

He had 2 negatives and one neutral.

The iMac is in the original box. Refurbs come in brown boxes.

22. philipma1957, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

if it is the serial number on the box it is not a refurb.

personally I think you scored. time will tell. please get back to us on this to let us know how you made out.

the serial number starts with an MC

all 2011 iMac refurbs have an FC also here is the 2011 refurb link

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC812LL/A?mco=MjMwMTc5MTM

you still got a better price even if it is a refurb. Just a few bucks lower (180 or so) unless you have a high
    tax state.

but notice the FC in the link title for the apple store. you have a MC

23. mackage, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

So...to all the haters (just kidding), I received my iMac today. All is good just as I suspected. It came in a timely fashion, in the original unopened box (would have been a simple brown box if it was a refurb, and also would have had a slightly different model number), the 2.7ghz model that was advertised, and no signs of anything ever being touched by human hands after it left the factory. BRAND NEW!! I didn't have any doubts, but clearly some of you did. The only SMALL aspect I didn't like was the seller didn't double box the unit; just slapped a UPS label on the box. But all is good. I went to the Apple website and registered it. Also, the seller that you haters labeled as being so bad even sent me an email today asking if all was ok with the iMac.

To top it off, there are NO dead pixels, and NO yellowing. There is a slightly warmer tone on the bottom portion that they all have which goes away when you move your head down. Thank goodness seeing as I have had 3 27" models in the past 4 months that had horrible yellowing (two 2.93ghz 2010 refurbs, and 1 brand new 27" 2.7ghz). There were two small pieces of dust under the glass, which I was able to remove quickly by pulling the glass back.

I am also A LOT happier with the 21.5" model size. It is much more a computer now and not a huge TV 2 feet in front of me wasting space and electricity. I would never go back to the 27". After all the returns and trouble, I am happy.

Did I mention, it is damn fast? The reason it shows 8gb of RAM in the picture of the screen is because I had an extra 4gb that I took out of my MBP recently.

Here are some pictures of proof seeing as some of you will still not like the fact that this SMOKING DEAL worked out so well.

Attached Files:

24. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

GOOD FOR YOU MAN!

I do lots of ebay purchases and sales I am glad it worked out well.

25. jedolley macrumors 68000

Agree, glad it worked out. However, I never got the impression anyone was "hating" on you for finding a "SMOKING DEAL". It seemed like you jumped on the first couple people that tried to give you fair warning. It was almost like you wanted people to "hate" on you (last time I use the word like that for rest of the year).

Regardless, it's over now and you scored a nice deal. Congrats.