Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I could send and receive texts, the only 'problem' was the texts I received from people in response to the texts I sent them didn't appear as coming from them. Rather they appeared as coming from my GV number and, obviously, my texts to them appeared to be coming from my GV number and appeared as a new conversation and not as a reply in the same thread.

This sending 'problem' is simple to solve, the recipient just has to add my GV number to my Contact entry.

I don't see how to solve the reply 'problem'.

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
I bought this app tonight as it will finally let me switch to my Google Voice # permanently since it will interface with BiteSMS perfectly. My only problem is after paying the license fee I still can't receive GV text to my iPhone SMS app. Any suggestions?

I already did all the set-up listed here... http://smsgvextension.appspot.com/support/support.html

D,

I purchased this app earlier today but in the SMS GV Extension settings panel when I click "Check License" it still states "trial."

I'm going to email the dev to see what he thinks (this should be instantaneous, no?).

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
D,

I purchased this app earlier today but in the SMS GV Extension settings panel when I click "Check License" it still states "trial."

I'm going to email the dev to see what he thinks (this should be instantaneous, no?).

D,

Check out the dev's Twitter page (http://twitter.com/#!/mrzzheng). He stated sometime yesterday that verification of purchase may take a few hours (which explains your receiving issues).

Just make sure you set up the filter as a backup/safety measure if you use gmail, and keep clicking that check license button every few hours for good measure (until it syncs).

ignign0kt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Is anyone having issues receiving MMS? I can send and receive SMS just fine. I can even SEND MMS just fine, just can't receive them.

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Is anyone having issues receiving MMS? I can send and receive SMS just fine. I can even SEND MMS just fine, just can't receive them.

As far as I know, Google Voice doesn't support MMS at this time so it's surprising that you can send MMS via GV (because It's never worked in the pst)

ignign0kt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
As far as I know, Google Voice doesn't support MMS at this time so it's surprising that you can send MMS via GV (because It's never worked in the pst)

Yeah that's what I thought too.
However the dev said other people are able to both send and receive MMS

Not sure how sending works, but receiving doesn't. But receiving definitely does not work.

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah that's what I thought too.
However the dev said other people are able to both send and receive MMS

Not sure how sending works, but receiving doesn't. But receiving definitely does not work.

I don't even believe that the system is setup to send OR receive MMS. Surprising it worked at all.

In regards to the original post, I'm still working out some of the kinks with this add-on but there is promise.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Im still having problems receiving. Mine is registered. I set up the email and the Gmail filter, but still not incoming text. I guess ill have to keep my boxcar push around.

Nomadic83

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Reason for not receiving texts

I finally bought the app today to enable the receiving of texts. However I am finding that it is not working because Google ActiveSync (Exchange) is not pushing my mail, therefor not recieving the text unless I open my email to the exchange mailbox. Anyone else having this issue?

Also for those who have not used GVMax / Prowl to recieve your GV texts before, you will notice that when you recieve your texts, it will not be your friends phone number. It will be a number from the GV server. It is a static number, so save it as your friends new "GV" phone number. (The GV server reads your number/account and translates it to your friends number internally is my guess).

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
I finally bought the app today to enable the receiving of texts. However I am finding that it is not working because Google ActiveSync (Exchange) is not pushing my mail, therefor not recieving the text unless I open my email to the exchange mailbox. Anyone else having this issue?

Also for those who have not used GVMax / Prowl to recieve your GV texts before, you will notice that when you recieve your texts, it will not be your friends phone number. It will be a number from the GV server. It is a static number, so save it as your friends new "GV" phone number. (The GV server reads your number/account and translates it to your friends number internally is my guess).

Nomad, I understand your problem and would like to offer a suggestion or two.

While I've never used the solution you suggested of GVMax/Prowl, I do know what you mean by having the "unique" GV number attached to each contact. That is how I used GV in the past for texting and calling. I still have those numbers saved in my contacts with the associated friends (labeled as "assistant") but with the SMS GV Extension this is no longer necessary, at least to send text messages. In regards to phone calls I still use these numbers if I'm too lazy to fire up GVMobile. I also use those unique numbers as favorites from the native dialing app to simplify things.

Make sure you go into your Gmail settings (settings -> labels) on a desktop PC and check the "show in IMAP" toggles. Next, on your iPhone ensure that you go into your Mail settings (settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Gmail Account) and click on "Mail Folders to Push." Make sure you have the label where your GV notifications are heading pushed to your phone by selecting the appropriate label. Check (http://smsgvextension.appspot.com/faq/faq.html) for more info from the DEV's website.

Now, if all of that made sense to you, I have a final suggestion. Since we are using Google Voice in the first place, all of our texts/voicemails/etc are already saved on the server. I don't need the extra copy cluttering up my email. So in the instructions from the DEV where he suggests setting up a filter labeled "GVText" I simply use Gmail's "Trash" instead and have that synced to my iPhone via push. This allows for the messages still to get to my phone while also being automatically deleted (Gmail emptys your trash every 30 days meaning you won't constantly be syncing an ever growing trash can to your phone).

Questions? Just reply.
Andrew

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
FWIW if your google voice settings are such that incoming calls are labeled as google voice on your phone, you will receive SMS from a google voice number to to which you can respond. When you set it up to receive calls and show the actual number, they come to your phone labeled like normal.

So if u don't care about the number of texts you use on your service, I would set it up to NOT show up as GV Number when people call. Then when u reply with SMS GV extension enabled it will work just fine back/forth.

If you want to receive the texts from this tweak through push, you have to disable sms forwarding to your phone in your GV settings so you only get them through push and not forwarded to your cell from GV.

Sorry if this was hard to understand, I think I confused myself writing it...

djarpit

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
i bought the application online but i still do not see the status of it as registered. i am very upset......

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
i bought the application online but i still do not see the status of it as registered. i am very upset......

Send the Dev a tweet. He's very responsive and his license server sometimes gets backed up.

He'll take care of you.

epiphenie

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Could receive, couldn't send

Users with secure Google password (ones with symbols like "&") - you will have to remove the symbols from your password to be able to send using SMS GV Extension Version 1.3.1. Hopefully, he'll fix the bug in the future. Unfortunately, it took me 20+ hours of debugging, iPhone restores, and reinstalls to figure this out. Unfortunately, the only customer support the developer seems to provide is license support. I did have no trouble setting up receiving using the developer-provided documentation. It's now working great and there is no better solution. All in all, I was disappointed with the customer support since this was a paid app, but the app itself is worth $3.

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Users with secure Google password (ones with symbols like "&") - you will have to remove the symbols from your password to be able to send using SMS GV Extension Version 1.3.1. Hopefully, he'll fix the bug in the future. Unfortunately, it took me 20+ hours of debugging, iPhone restores, and reinstalls to figure this out. Unfortunately, the only customer support the developer seems to provide is license support. I did have no trouble setting up receiving using the developer-provided documentation. It's now working great and there is no better solution. All in all, I was disappointed with the customer support since this was a paid app, but the app itself is worth $3.

Unusual, I've had no problems with special characters in my passwords while using the application.

Glad you figured out the problem though. Make sure you follow the dev's Twitter for the most up to date information.

cpeckat

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
SMS/Phone GV Extension

So... Unlocked my phone, installed the extensions. I can send texts from the SMS app on the phone, and I can send/receive calls... I can't receive texts because of the License restrictions. All good.

How in gods name do you resister the god damned extension? When I try on the phone it restarts, every time. When I try online I'm told my username and password are incorrect. I've had the same F*ing paypal account for 10 years. Really?

I'm either missing something very basic or this author is ****.

I have an iPhone 3G, unlocked with redsn0w. Everything EXCEPT this works.

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
So... Unlocked my phone, installed the extensions. I can send texts from the SMS app on the phone, and I can send/receive calls... I can't receive texts because of the License restrictions. All good.

How in gods name do you resister the god damned extension? When I try on the phone it restarts, every time. When I try online I'm told my username and password are incorrect. I've had the same F*ing paypal account for 10 years. Really?

I'm either missing something very basic or this author is ****.

I have an iPhone 3G, unlocked with redsn0w. Everything EXCEPT this works.

I had an issue registering at first as well, but if you contact the Dev via Twitter he's typically VERY responsive (http://twitter.com/#!/mrzzheng).

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
99% of the time, I can receive and send texts with no problems, but every now and then I see that I don't receive some texts (but they show up in the GV app). I don't know what causes this, does anyone else have this problem?

bemental

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
99% of the time, I can receive and send texts with no problems, but every now and then I see that I don't receive some texts (but they show up in the GV app). I don't know what causes this, does anyone else have this problem?

Bump that to the percentage that they put on bottles of hand sanitizer and I'd say you're correct. Every once in a while I'll have a message or a call not come through but I believe that it's probably on Google's end since it affects calls as well.

Overall one of the best JB purchases I've ever made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.