Snapchat Announces 'Spectacles,' $130 Sunglasses That Record 10 Seconds of Video at a Time

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Snapchat has announced its first hardware product, a one-size-fits-all pair of sunglasses called Spectacles that can record 10 seconds of video at a time, reports The Wall Street Journal. The glasses will cost $130 and launch this fall in three colors: teal, black and coral. Video will sync wirelessly to a paired iPhone or other smartphone.

[​IMG]
    Snap CEO Evan Spiegel in Spectacles, Photo by The WSJ

The glasses record when you tap a button near the hinge, and each tap records 10 seconds of video footage from its 115-degree-angle lens. The lens was designed to be wider than smartphone cameras, more closely mirroring the natural view of human eyes. The video is recorded in a circular format, as Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel argues that the square and rectangle form that photos and videos currently come in are a vestige of early photos being printed on paper.

Snapchat has been developing Spectacles for years, and Spiegel has been testing the device himself for a year. He tells The WSJ that one of the advantages of Spectacles is not having to hold a smartphone in front of your face because it's "like a wall." Re-watching first-person footage is like reliving a memory, Spiegel argues.
    Spiegel refers to Spectacles as a "toy," and that the best use of it would be to wear it at an outdoor concert or barbecue "for kicks." The company is taking a slow approach to launch with limited distribution, similar to Google Glass. Spiegel says Snapchat wants to "figure out if it fits into people's lives and seeing how they like it." When asked why they made the product and decided to enter the hardware market, Spiegel said "because it's fun."

Snapchat has also changed its company name to Snap, Inc as it has expanded its portfolio past its Snapchat app, similar to how Apple changed its name from Apple Computer.

Spiegel thinks of the newly-dubbed Snap, Inc as a camera company rather than a social media company, The WSJ notes. He studied the early histories of Kodak and Polaroid and how they pitched portable cameras to the public. Spectacles gives Snap control of a physical camera, bypassing the smartphone cameras, like that of the iPhone, at the heart of Snapchat thus far. Spiegel hints to The WSJ that there could be "far-reaching implications" if Snap controlled the hardware its users take pictures and video with.

Article Link: Snapchat Announces 'Spectacles,' $130 Sunglasses That Record 10 Seconds of Video at a Time

2. holyjohn macrumors regular

3. garirry, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Reminds me of how everyone thought Google Glass was going to succeed.

4. jamescobalt macrumors regular

jamescobalt

Checks date. Not April 1st. Comments that he checked date that it's not April 1st.
    Nearly comments that he comments, narrowly avoiding getting stuck in a recursive loop.

5. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

the 1990's called. they want their "mini" cameras back.

6. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I didn't think it could possibly get any dumber than Google Glass, and yet here we are!

7. b1wils1 macrumors regular

b1wils1

sure the snapchat version isn't great, but when TC announces "apple Specs" in spring 2018, this will be the next market for wearables.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

9. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

10. SethBoy macrumors regular

I actually this makes more sense than Google Glass. Probably gonna be fun for a trip to Disneyland or some rave party.

11. ysr macrumors member

Apple Watch, AirPods, and now glasses. The future is wireless, RIP iPhone battery life

12. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I think that this is dumb but I'm smart enough to realize that the kids this is geared to will probably love it.

So, I'll sit back and watch.

13. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

That screams chick repellent. Cameras mounted on glasses just don't look good.

14. huggyb macrumors member

every pair of glasses is a poor man's Google Glass

15. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

16. dynamojoe macrumors member

dynamojoe

Reminds me of Zioneyez, that is, if they existed.

17. oplix Suspended

oplix

had to use steve jobs' cloned twin to get past the google glass privacy concerns

18. iZac, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Dumb looking fashion has to evolve naturally rather than be forced - (I assume) for instance that no one could ever have imagined shutter shades would be a thing. For one shining moment in history, it was though.

Also like Jamescobalt, I seriously had to check the date when I first saw this news...

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

20. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

While this is intended for the Snapchat generation, I can't help but imagine a more mainstream application for something like this.

Google Glass was too early for its time but its time may be coming. A pair of glasses that records everything that you see while wearing them is something that could exist in an era of unlimited storage which cloud computing will inevitably lead to. Artificial intelligence able to recognize and index objects, moments and people would make it possible to search our lives for memories. "Show me that time when I first noticed my wife walking out of Macy's".

There's a privacy concern that is gradually fading away as the generation that Spectacles was built for have grown up expecting cameras everywhere and not only not caring that they're being filmed but craving it. Older folks will hate it but the world will no longer be built for them.

21. entropys macrumors 6502a

entropys

You would think so, but remember this dude snagged Miranda Kerr. I guess if you are filthy rich these glasses aren't enough of a turnoff.

That said, I can see these making money at major events. And help get lots more footage for those 'funniest moments' TV shows which seem to consistently involve random and unexpected groin injuries.

And a gateway drug to even more intrusive stuff like google glass, which now seems was just a little bit ahead of its time as the public weren't yet quite ready for that level of intrusion. I can see the future: think the TruView goggles worn by the large population of geriatrics that would spend their time baiting young people and then capture their retaliation in order to send the video to the police in David Brin's Earth.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Snapchat. The disappearing messenger app that doesn't. Oh. Snap.

23. Matt Leaf macrumors 6502

Target this at the extreme sports market and it will blast off

24. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Only records 10 seconds of video with each tap - what a giant pain.

If the camera in a smartphone can be as small as they are, how has nobody come up with glasses with a camera that small that look unidentifiable instead of being a giant eyesore? ;)

25. okboy macrumors regular

no they are not. google glass is not a replacement for subscription glasses.