Snow Leopard Adds Minor Often Requested Tweaks: Put Back, Stack Folder Navigation

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With the absence of major new user interface features in Snow Leopard, we're left discussing some rather minor (though frequently requested) tweaks found in the latest developer builds of Mac OS X 10.6.

Put Back - Under Mac OS 9, users had the option to restore any "Trash"ed files (before the Trash is emptied) back to their original locations with a simple "Put Back" command. For some reason, this capability was lost in the transition to Mac OS X. In the latest Snow Leopard builds, it's back. So any accidental disposals can now easily be restored with a simple click. Again, this only works for files that have been moved to the Trash but not yet "emptied".

Stacks Folder Navigation - The introduction of the "Stacks" metaphor in Mac OS 10.5 was met with mixed reactions. One issue with Stacks has been the inability to "drill down" into additional folders. In Leopard, clicking on a folder in Stacks simply opened that folder in the Finder.

Photoshopped Mockup

According to those familiar with the latest developer build, clicking on a folder in Stacks smoothly opens the new folder in Stacks while shrinking the parent window as a small icon on the top left. This allows you to quickly navigate in and out of folders in Stacks.

Snow Leopard is Apple's next major revision to Mac OS X. It is officially due sometime in 2009 and is said to be focusing on stability and performance enhancements.

Article Link: Snow Leopard Adds Minor Often Requested Tweaks: Put Back, Stack Folder Navigation

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Let it Snow! Snow Leopard can't get here fast enough. Looking forward to the release date!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Put Back - Under Mac OS 9, users had the option to restore any "Trash"ed files back to their original locations with a simple "Put Back" command. For some reason, this capability was lost in the transition to Mac OS X. In the latest Snow Leopard builds, it's back. So any accidental disposals can now easily be restored with a simple click.
WOW. This is big. Chalk up one less thing that Windows users can complain about!

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Interesting

This is interesting. But I really do not want someone going back through my trash to find something I wanted to be destroyed.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Snow Leopard looks to be shaping up quite nicely as a good upgrade over Leopard, lets hope they continue with the tweaks rather than trying for more flash.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is interesting. But I really do not want someone going back through my trash to find something I wanted to be destroyed.
This doesn't undelete. This is before your trash is "emptied". It just puts it in its previous location before you moved it to the trash.

arn

robertg123

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Use the "Shred" feature.

You can set the Trash to shred any files you delete. That's what I do.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I like the restore function in trash. Sometimes you may not know where the file originally came from.

paulyras

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Ummm... They can do that now. They just can't easily put it back in it's original location, which I'm assuming isn't your largest concern.

Want to get rid of it? Finder==> Secure empty trash...

Same as always.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
...then...empty your trash.

I'm pretty excited for the return of Put Back (if true) and like the continued innovation with Stacks. This is exactly the kind of under the hood revisions needed with SL; improving on the existing features for an even better OS. I know many people are "meh" on Sl due to the lack of "new" features, but I believe this is exactly what was needed for Apple right now. Refinement of the software was key, especially in light of recent steps back (I'm looking at you MobileMe).

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This doesn't undelete. This is before your trash is "emptied". It just puts it in its previous location before you moved it to the trash.

arn
Oh. Disregard my other comment, then. I was referring to Trash restoring.

I personally like the "one click, it's gone, too bad" mindset. If you're storing files in the Trash that you don't want trashed, why are you storing them there? What's wrong with you? :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
:)

I definitely like the stacks feature.

Although the trash thing sounds silly to me. I don't put things in the trash by accident. I empty it pretty regularly too so even if I ever did put something in the trash by accident, it wouldn't be around long enough for put back to be of any use.

Now what I want for stacks is the ability to sort different stacks different ways. Like I want my documents stack ordered by date last modified while I want my applications stack ordered by name.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Sounds cool. All they need to do now is add back the option to have a folder in the Dock as an alias again. it is great to be able to pick out of a list but for some things you just need to be taken straight to a finder window.

Glad to see they have finally put that option back into the trash.

I hope it comes soon. i am really looking forward to snow leopard!!

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
While stacks are handy for quick-things, I really don't see what the big-deal is about being able to open other folders within "stack view"? Shouldn't be investing time in re-designing the Finder into something more modern and usable instead? It's changed very little since OS X first-appeared, and it's really not what it could be at all.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Put Back is a welcomed feature that should have always been there in the first place. I wonder how it will behave with iTunes files? Will it be greyed out, or will it reimport the file with the original counts and stuff?

The stacks thing is nice too. many times, I have been expecting to go to the utilities folder by drilling, but you can't do that on the dock.

Nice touches. SL can't come soon enough!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Huh? They can do that today, they just won't be able to restore it to it's original folder. Then again, neither can you. If this is a big deal, EMPTY YOUR TRASH.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
So what was wrong with Edit/Undo to put the deleted files back to where they were?
because when you accidentally delete some things, you panic and start searching through your windows for what happened. And this can remove the undo option. Or you may not have known you deleted it until later, far past when the undo is an option. It's an extra little thing that will be helpful - Windows users have had it for years.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So what was wrong with Edit/Undo to put the deleted files back to where they were?
I think the idea is that you put something in trash by accident a few weeks ago (or some time long enough that it would take too many undo's,) and you happen to notice it's in the trash, rather than having to look around for where the file went before, you can just use "put back".

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think the idea is that you put something in trash by accident a few weeks ago (or some time long enough that it would take too many undo's,) and you happen to notice it's in the trash, rather than having to look around for where the file went before, you can just use "put back".
ya, exactly

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=33121

I meant to go through and trash a bunch of cache files from my Library, but accidentally went up a level and trashed much needed files from my Library. I haven't emptied the trash yet but am wondering if there is an easy way to restore these files back to their original locations without having to guess at where I trashed them from. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Makes one miss OS9, in which selecting a trash item
and typing "command-Y" would return it to its home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.