Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Many users have been wondering whether their current applications will be compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and both Apple and users with access to the final version of Snow Leopard have been working to compile this information for reference purposes.

Apple today posted a support document outlining which applications Snow Leopard will consider incompatible and either sequester or prevent from opening in order to prevent instabilities from being introduced. Several notable applications, including Parallels 2.5 and antivirus software from both McAfee (VirusScan 8.6) and Norton (NAV 11.0), are removed during the Snow Leopard upgrade, which sequesters the affected applications in an "Incompatible Software" folder on the user's system. Other applications, including Parallels 3.0 and older versions of Apple's Aperture, Keynote and AirPort Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow, will simply not be allowed to launch on Snow Leopard.

Users upgrading to Snow Leopard will also see a number of printer drivers upgraded to Snow Leopard-compatible versions, and Apple has posted a second support document outlining the list of printers with compatible drivers available either on the Snow Leopard install disc or via Software Update. Apple plans to update the document as additional compatible drivers are released.

A number of users have also taken compatibility assessment into their own hands, developing the publicly-editable Snow Leopard Compatibility List at Wikidot, which offers an extensive list of software tested by users. The site has been extremely popular with users over the past few days, so much so that the entire Wikidot site was brought down by traffic to the page, forcing Wikidot to disable Ajax on the Snow Leopard site in order to help reduce the load on its systems.

Article Link: Snow Leopard Application Incompatibilities Compiled

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Yeah this list I am not so sure I would trust. I have Sonos application installed on all my Macs and Sonos Support confirmed there are NO issues with Snow Leopard and Sonos 3.0 application.

RHDJapan

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Ive been worried about the incompatibilities as well. I was wondering if it was possible to create a partition with boot camp on my hard drive and then install 10.6 to test with. It would really suck to update my work computer to find that programs i need to work cant be used.

Has any one done this?

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Not enough info.

Thanks goodness Parallel 4 is compatible! Phew! Same thing to Coda as well.

I hope most of CS3 apps (DW, FW, PS, AI, FL and BR) will be working OK.

Wondered if those will work OK?
QuickSilver (verrrry important)
Lux Delux
MAMP
Extensis Suitcase Fusion (1st Gen.)
Flip4Mac
HandBrake
AppZapper
Xslimmer (not sure but will make sense to remove unnecessary languages and other crap)
Adium
ExpanDrive
PixelMator
Onxy
Wacom drivers
smcFanControl
SuperDocker
Transmit
UnRarX
VLC
Wallet

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Somewhat surprised to see some of Apple's apps on the list. But, all my software that I have currently installed and my printer are going to be good with Snow Leopard. Now, to just upgrade. Probably waiting 'till December for the bugs to get fixed.

iphoneZ

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
any info on PokerStars/Full Tilt compatibility? (i assume ok?) degenerates deserve updates too... :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
One of the big ones I've heard floating around is that AT&T USB Cards are a no go. Specifically the USB 881B, I'll test that myself and find out. But that really kills me updating the laptops.

On the desktop side I have a lot of pro apps I'm worried about but most have been confirmed to work by now.

Things I still have questions about on the consumer side...
  • last.fm or iScrobbler
  • Drobo and Drobo Dashboard
  • NetNewsWire

nado

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Time to Consider Windows 7!

What a disappointment Parallels 3.0 is expected to stop working. I'll pass the OS upgrade on it. And I'll give Windows 7 a serious look when it's out, it might be time to jump ship, even though I would terribly miss iPhoto.

hookedonitunes

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
Toast Titanium 7?

Does anyone know if Toast 7 works? I know they released a patch for it when Leopard came out, but I doubt they'll do that for Snow Leopard. I really have no reason to upgrade Toast as version 7 has all the features I need, that is unless it doesn't work with Snow Leopard. If anyone knows, it'd be appreciated. If not, guess I'll find out in about 12 hours.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
One of the big ones I've heard floating around is that AT&T USB Cards are a no go. Specifically the USB 881B, I'll test that myself and find out. But that really kills me updating the laptops.

On the desktop side I have a lot of pro apps I'm worried about but most have been confirmed to work by now.

Things I still have questions about on the consumer side...
  • last.fm or iScrobbler
  • Drobo and Drobo Dashboard
  • NetNewsWire

No way!!! That would suck if my 881 AT&T 3G card stops working??? Can anyone confirm that? Would kill my plans for upgrading tomorrow.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
I hope most of CS3 apps (DW, FW, PS, AI, FL and BR) will be working OK.

CS3 is not supported on SL, Looks like there are several companies out there who are using this as an opprtunity to sell a new release rather than support software that is not very old.

I was hoping Parallels 3 would work, and now I find out that and even Bento 2 wont!!!

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I see both Microsoft Mouse 7 and Microsoft Office 2008 present on that wiki page, if that is confirmed to be true, then I will not be upgrading until there is a fix for these.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Doesn't it seem odd that with all the online chatter about Snow Leopard for the last year, no one seems to have focussed on this non-compatibility issue til now? Any chance this is simply not accurate? Who is saying these things are incompatible and why didn't the testers discover these?

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
still waiting to hear more about pro audio software. i know the core audio areas of snow leopard have changed, but i've heard very little from pro audio developers about snow leopard yet. antares announced updated products for snow leopard, so some audio software companies are affected for sure. i'll try out snow leopard on my macbook pro, but i won't put it on the studio computers until i know i can do my audio work with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.