Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hhm, I somewhat fail to see your point.
The masses don't get a check to check for bugs. You have to pay up for Apple Developer vs. a free for all of reporting over on the Microsoft side.

I've been in the Beta and RC for 7. I'm also now in the Beta for Office 2010 for Home & Student.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
The masses don't get a check to check for bugs. You have to pay up for Apple Developer vs. a free for all of reporting over on the Microsoft side.

I've been in the Beta and RC for 7. I'm also now in the Beta for Office 2010 for Home & Student.

Oh, they do. It seems all the 10.x.0 releases are really Beta's in disguise :eek:

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
sweetness!!! I have nothing that is affected. I was a little worried when I read about that earlier. Maybe I will go grab a copy tomorrow after all. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Somewhat surprised to see some of Apple's apps on the list.

not that shocking. some folks don't run software update regularly. putting down those apps, which would have avail updates now or probably tomorrow/this weekend, is a way to knock folks in the head and get them to do the updates

Doesn't it seem odd that with all the online chatter about Snow Leopard for the last year, no one seems to have focussed on this non-compatibility issue til now?

I was wondering the same thing.
Well... Apple would not release Snow Leopard to developers unless they paid $500-3500. If you didn't pay up, you couldn't report bugs in Snow Leopard, couldn't get documentation, couldn't discuss problems with anyone.

seems to me that any major company, say Adobe, would consider the cost nothing compared to potential lost sales and a lot of customer service issues.

You'd think they want to have a beta so that developers could sort out the problems.

they did. several of them, but there's no way they can hit every single possible configuration of hardware and software. so they have little choice but clean up as much as they can and see what problems come up in that first release.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
They fixed the glitch that made the top bar go short if you played a game with a lower resolution. So many little fixes make this great.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
seems to me that any major company, say Adobe, would consider the cost nothing compared to potential lost sales and a lot of customer service issues.

Well, companies are not keen on supporting legacy stuff. They rather press their new program versions on you.
That's why it sometimes needs a little pressure from the existing user base to continue supporting their stuff.

they did. several of them, but there's no way they can hit every single possible configuration of hardware and software. so they have little choice but clean up as much as they can and see what problems come up in that first release.

Agreed, but then again outsourcing this sort of tests to the free and willing user-base might provide some benefits before the product hits the shelf.
..and spare you some bad press afterwards.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
CS3 works just fine for me (PS, InD, Il, Acrobat).

I didn't have any incompatibility issues and I have a pretty large list of apps installed on my machine.

All and all, SL upgrade was super easy and not a single hitch.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Not enough info.

Thanks goodness Parallel 4 is compatible! Phew! Same thing to Coda as well.

I hope most of CS3 apps (DW, FW, PS, AI, FL and BR) will be working OK.

Wondered if those will work OK?
QuickSilver (verrrry important)
Lux Delux
MAMP
Extensis Suitcase Fusion (1st Gen.)
Flip4Mac
HandBrake
AppZapper
Xslimmer (not sure but will make sense to remove unnecessary languages and other crap)
Adium
ExpanDrive
PixelMator
Onxy
Wacom drivers
smcFanControl
SuperDocker
Transmit
UnRarX
VLC
Wallet

I agree...

Nowhere near enough info for me to upgrade right now...

I MUST have following software working immediately due to job deadlines and having no concrete information what works and what not means I am passing SL until all facts and figures regarding compatibility are made public.

Here is my list of question marks:

1. Logic Pro 8

2. Reason 4

3. Guitar Rig 3

4. Picturesque

5. Lightroom 2

6. Flash CS 3

7. RapidWeaver

8. Swift 3D

9. Kinemac

10. Unity

11. Unity iPhone

12. Invoice 2 or 3

There is more... But if above list of software works fine with SL I am ready to compromise on the rest :)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Found a glitch in Adium. It always changes my font to some weird one, and when I change it to Aerial or whatever, it just changes back. Hopefully they fix it.

MaynardJames

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I see both Microsoft Mouse 7 and Microsoft Office 2008 present on that wiki page, if that is confirmed to be true, then I will not be upgrading until there is a fix for these.

Fix for what? They are both listed as "Compatibility: OK"

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
In Other Words Almost None

Can't see anything there would keep 99.9% of users from moving forward with the migration to 10.6.0.

Mine's delivered FedEx Standard Overnight tomorrow morning and installed by noon. Very excited. :)

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I agree...

Nowhere near enough info for me to upgrade right now...

I MUST have following software working immediately due to job deadlines and having no concrete information what works and what not means I am passing SL until all facts and figures regarding compatibility are made public.

<snip list>

There is more... But if above list of software works fine with SL I am ready to compromise on the rest :)
Shouldn't you not upgrade a production system anyway? :eek: Wait until your deadlines pass at the very minimum, or grab a 2nd HD and test a clone with SL.

(Yes, I understand that not everyone has money for it, but if your data is that valuable, you would ...)

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if MacPaint works?

Seriously, though, the posts about audio apps reminded me that I also have Logic Studio 8 and Omnisphere - which I don't get to use often these days, but would be a big thing if they didn't work when I do!
For that matter - what about drivers for my 1st gen MOTU 828?

Can't seem to find info on any of these. Will have to proceed with caution.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
I think this is very lame and unlike Apple, to release an OS upgrade that makes so many programs incompatible. What the h*ll were they thinking? And there's no mention of this in their oh-so-glorious description of how wonderful their new OS is. And considering that this is mostly "under the hood" upgrades and they make a clear statement by making it available for $29, I think it's even more embarrassing that Apple, who are attacking Windows at each opportunity they get, do something like this. Microsoft(except for Vista maybe) never created this many incompatibility issues in a new iteration of their OS.

I ordered Snow Leopard and am gonna install it right away, because I read that Logic 9 will work perfectly normal on it (I gotta make sure my sound card + DSP card works too, though...), but if I was a user of those fairly new programs that now stops working I would be a bit pissed that Apple didn't warn me in any way.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I think this is very lame and unlike Apple, to release an OS upgrade that makes so many programs incompatible. What the h*ll were they thinking? And there's no mention of this in their oh-so-glorious description of how wonderful their new OS is. And considering that this is mostly "under the hood" upgrades and they make a clear statement by making it available for $29, I think it's even more embarrassing that Apple, who are attacking Windows at each opportunity they get, do something like this. Microsoft(except for Vista maybe) never created this many incompatibility issues in a new iteration of their OS.

I ordered Snow Leopard and am gonna install it right away, because I read that Logic 9 will work perfectly normal on it (I gotta make sure my sound card + DSP card works too, though...), but if I was a user of those fairly new programs that now stops working I would be a bit pissed that Apple didn't warn me in any way.

It's not Apple's fault developers didn't get their programs working on SL. And I don't think it's too bad, I haven't had one problem with any programs.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Installing

Got mine this morning on the way into work from Apple Store Liverpool, just installing now. Come back if any problems to report

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.