Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I was just reading on AppleInsider that 10A286 was the target build for the next release.

The last build was 10A261(?)

Wonders if any new tweaks are added to this build.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yep.
10a261 was the previous build.

I'm just reading the seed notes, and forgive me for not compromising the NDA... but there are still quite a lot of "known issues"...

But, there are some new stuff.... not least in the Finder!
When I get home this evening, I will try it out :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
World Of Apple have put up what appears to be the seed notes.

Less than a month after the last seed of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (Seed notes) Apple has released another major build. Build 10A286 packs three main important changes. Build 10A286 of Snow Leopard is said to contain a new QuickTime with a “minimal UI”, in addition the Finder has now been replaced with a Cocoa version and finally Safari 4 Beta is now included in the build.

The accompanying notes also pointed towards a major shift to 64-bit, with all developers being encouraged to run Mac OS X Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode.

The unusually short seed notes can be seen below.

New Content

This seed contains some major new changes in the following areas:

QuickTime Player
The new QuickTime Player has a new minimal UI and is focused on playback.

Finder
Finder includes a new Cocoa Desktop, Info Window and Contextual Menu

Safari
Safari 4 beta is included in the seed as the default browser.

Known Issues
Remote Installs over Airport may cause panics (A workaround is to install via Ethernet or DVD.)
Booting from the install DVD can take a long time
Some settings are not migrated from the previous system when upgrading, including file sharing, sharing name and energy saver settings.
Finder issues: Icon previews will not appear on the Desktop, selecting Clean Up does not change icon placement on the Desktop. Sometimes the Finder and Desktop will stop responding to input. A workaround is to restart Finder.
iTunes will sometimes lock up when an iPhone is connected. A workaround is to rename or delete ~/Library/Lockdown)
Microsoft Office 2004 applications can hang when using the File->Open menu. A workaround is to open the file by opening it in Finder.)
On newer MacBook Pros, the screen’s backlight will not come on when booting into the installer if the brightness is set below 6.
Hibernation is not working on machines with Nvidia graphics cards and will result in a frozen machine.
The Time Machine UI cannot be activated in Finder and Mail in some cases.
The linker creates a bad image when the minimum OS target is set to Mac OS X 10.5 and weak external symbols are used. (A workaround is to set Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.6 as the minimum OS target.)
Xcode often crashes when navigating in documentation using the navigation buttons.
We do not recommended installing this seed on the Nehalem Mac Pros.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Snow Leopard Build 10A286 Seeded to Developers

Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, termed Build 10A286, to developers. World of Apple republishes the seed notes, which highlight three significant changes in the new build: a new QuickTime user interface, Cocoa-based Finder features, and Safari 4 beta as the default browser.
QuickTime Player
The new QuickTime Player has a new minimal UI and is focused on playback.

Finder
Finder includes a new Cocoa Desktop, Info Window and Contextual Menu

Safari
Safari 4 beta is included in the seed as the default browser.
World of Apple also notes that developers are being encouraged to run the new build in 64-bit mode, signaling a "major shift" in that direction.

Snow Leopard is due for release sometime in 2009, and Apple has been making steady progress on the new operating system, as demonstrated by consistent releases of new builds to developers. Apple has said that they are focusing on quality and performance in Snow Leopard rather than introducing significant numbers of new features.

Article Link: Snow Leopard Build 10A286 Seeded to Developers

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
So... the Desktop is now Cocoa? What was it before, Carbon?
Anyway, replacing Carbon stuff by Cocoa is good, especially on things that are as essential as the Finder. <Shouts at Adobe>

Anyone think that March 24 Event might have to do with Snow Leopard?

bigtriece

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Lack Of i7 Processors Makes Snow Leopard Useless

Apple really messed up with Snow Leopard - it is so obvious that it was designed for the Core i7 processors in mind, but since they decided not to include the Core i7s in their new imac, mac mini and macbook range, the Snow Leopard upgrade is totally unnecessary.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Apple really messed up with Snow Leopard - it is so obvious that it was designed for the Core i7 processors in mind, but since they decided not to include the Core i7s in their new imac, mac mini and macbook range, the Snow Leopard upgrade is totally unnecessary.
They couldn't put Nehalem in any other Mac even if they wanted to (without major redesign). And I'm sure Snow Leopard will help with non-Nehalems.

Interesting that Apple does NOT recommend one install this build on the new Nehalem Mac Pros. Any thoughts why?
No Nehalem support yet?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Some one refresh my memory please. What exactly is cocoa?

Rich :cool:

Cocoa and Carbon are 2 different programing languages for Mac software.

To the end user you wouldn't know the difference. Arguments over which was "better" focused on the way programmers work.

This argument is over now since Apple decide to stop support for 64-bit code with Carbon. It's clear now that everything will eventually be written in Cocoa. (Although Carbon programs that don't need 64-bit are obviously fine for quite some time, the trend towards Cocoa is clear.)

tbealmear

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Morgantown, WV

What is so obvious about it? I am pretty sure that Core2Duo's will take full advantage of Snow Leopard. If you have some facts, feel free to share it.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
So... the Desktop is now Cocoa? What was it before, Carbon?
Anyway, replacing Carbon stuff by Cocoa is good, especially on things that are as essential as the Finder. <Shouts at Adobe>

Anyone think that March 24 Event might have to do with Snow Leopard?

Seems like it would be a good time to preview SL. Still think the release is for the summer:July is my guess....

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
What is so obvious about it? I am pretty sure that Core2Duo's will take full advantage of Snow Leopard. If you have some facts, feel free to share it.

Yes, I agree - pretty much any machines from Santa Rosa onwards are going to benefit greatly from both Open CL and Grand Central supported apps. There is no reason at all you require i7 to take advantage of the extra power provided by those services.

Sounds like someone has some left over grumbles about lack of i7 in this refresh...

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Still think the release is for the summer:July is my guess....
No way. Look at the massive number of severe "showstopper" bugs in these developers release builds: the installer is screwy, the Finder is riddled with bugs, sleep doesn't work, machine support is highly limited. Development seems to be progressing at a snail's pace.

I'm sticking with October as the release timeframe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.