Snow Leopard copies Windows 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattrgee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Do yourself a favor and stay off a Windows biased site that gives a review of a Mac product. :rolleyes:

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You know, it's been years since I've read anything this Paul guy's written, but I don't remember him being so sarcastic and cynical.

Maybe just when it comes to Apple stuff?

3. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

No, he never used to be. That web site was always quite balanced with sensible unbiased reviews, not anymore obviously.

Comical if nothing else.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The segment about multicore support was laughably incorrect. :D

6. exsanguinate macrumors member

I think he misses the point of this release entirely. Also, there's no comparing a $29 and a $99-$299 OS (which he mentions and then proceeds to compare).

He mentions the $169 price point of the Tiger pack, ignoring the iLife bundle, and the fact that Snow Leopard has a lot more over Tiger than Leopard (hence the price difference).

Even someone more objective wouldn't take this seriously.

7. TranceNW macrumors regular

Has this guy ever spent more than 30 seconds in Finder?

8. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

He has a couple of fair points, but they're scattered in with...unfair points. Too bad, because the reviews used to be a lot more fair and informative.

But I'll give him this. Side-by-side, Windows 7 is a much more impressive upgrade than Snow Leopard is. There's no getting around it. Of course, it should be--it's much more expensive.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

That's like saying with coaching Steve Ballmer could significantly improve his 100m sprint times vs Usain Bolt.
    Ballmer might do more improving. But...

10. TranceNW macrumors regular

Why is it a more impressive upgrade? :confused:
    I'm not trying to be awkward, i'm asking sincerely.

11. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I listen to Paul's Podcast each week and have even emailed him with questions and the like. Over the last 12-18 months or so, I have seen him become progressively more cynical and anti-Apple.

It's a shame because he used to be unbiased and fair in his assessments. The "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ads have got to him. He doesn't get the humor and has become anti-Apple (except for his iPhone habit) even though his wife uses a Mac.

It's not the standard Mac-bashing, mostly its his disagreement with Apple's sometimes aggressive and monopolistic business practices, and let's face it, hard-sell marketing. He bashes Microsoft too if it's any consolation.

This unfair Snow Leopard piece is a reflection of that bias. Pity - one of the better tech sites has gone cranky...:(

--

Comments like this are unfair and are the new Paul Thurrott

Comments like this reflect the old Paul Thurrott

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

LOL so he's saying Snow Leopard copied Windows 7, and yet SL is here before 7? Fail.

13. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'd say the paradigm shift occured after he started allowing visitors to post comments. It immediately attracted an army of Apple fanboys, and their attitude has made him increasingly bitter and vindictive.

I'm no fan of Paul (Paul is a fan of Paul, though), but I'm kind of in the same boat as him, coming from the Windows side of things (PC user since '92, Mac user since '04)... I love Apple's products, but Apple fanboys almost make me wish the company never existed. They are the most unbearable people on Earth. It's kind of pointless to discuss, though... I don't think anyone has ever successfully conveyed to the Apple community how bad and uninviting it looks from the outside, and how awkward it is to be a Mac user who doesn't want to be a part of it... it's like going to a Depeche Mode concert and discovering that the audience consists of yourself and 20,000 nazis. "Hmm... what the hell do I do now... DM are clearly not nazis, but if this is the crowd they attract, I... um... am not sure whether to disown the band and burn all their records, or become a nazi to blend in."

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The guy simply lost all credibility when he called Snow Leopard a service pack. Literally less than 5 minutes of research is all it takes to find out why Snow Leopard could not be implemented as a service pack.

15. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

I was a PC user until June 2008 and I still take a deep breath before telling people I'm a Mac user. Like you say the Fanboys haven't done anyone any favours. I remember about 6 years ago reading about the next Windows operating system (Vista) on Paul's web site and being quite excited about it. His tone has changed greatly since then and only for the worse. Shame really.

16. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Windows 7 has been here for months already...
    Consumers just cant buy it until October.

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I've heard plenty of Mac users use the term service pack to describe Snow Leopard. Nobody actually means that it's the equivalent of a service pack from a technical standpoint, they just mean that it resembles a service pack in the sense that they install it and go umm... so what's supposed to have changed? Oh right, that tiny icon in the corner there looks slightly different... and this pane in system preferences has a slightly altered layout. Et cetera. SL just doesn't have that major release oomph. Then again it wasn't supposed to, Apple said all along that it was about under the hood stuff and not features, but that's precisely what Windows service packs are. It's not like you go from Tiger to Leopard or XP to Vista without noticing the difference from 20 feet away. Well OK, maybe 5 feet away for Leopard, visually it was mostly the new dock and the translucent menu.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's a Windows biased place. Of coarse they are going to bash it. I look at places like Ars or Gizmodo for a review.

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Using that same logic, would Windows 98 be a service pack for Windows 95?

20. ptsube macrumors 6502

That guy is obviously prejudiced. I mean how hard is it to drag and drop a folder into the sidebar.

While he makes a few good points, the guys an idiot.

21. hornstar macrumors newbie

Service Pack

"Had Microsoft released such an update for Windows, they would have called it a service pack and delivered it gratis."

In that case, where's my free copy of XP 64bit??

22. ptsube macrumors 6502

I don't think it's fair to classify all fans as crazies. As with any fandom, there are varying degrees. I personally love Macs and OS X, but a lot of Apple's policies really tic me off.

I can see how fanboys can drive potential users away, however.

23. kr26633z macrumors newbie

so according to this review a new OS must have a brand new UI everytime... that is mental. I moved from windows to mac 3 months ago and ive never felt so calm. I have turned on my PC to finish off a game once or twice. I think snow leopard was a bargin for £7.95. The review the OP posted seemed to suggest if you take a car and give it a nicer looking body then its different and therefore better... bit wierd. I used windows 7 and it was nicer than vista but no way would i pay another £120 (whatever it is) to upgrade froma shelved OS after a couple of years. 7 has little difference from vista the main difference is a dock rip off

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Absolutely. Win98 was released when Microsoft's hubris was at an all time high, they thought their farts were viable products. It was the least that a Windows version changed in order to be believed to amount to a major upgrade.