Snow Leopard for Tiger users

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kymac, Jun 8, 2009.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

How does this work? I know the $29 was stressed that it was only for leopard upgraders.. so does that mean I need to buy leopard.. and then buy snow leopard? or will their be a full retail version as well, for other customers in a similar position.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There will be a full retail version for $129.

3. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Therell be a full retail version. Priced at $129 I assume.

4. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

oh man.. how will it know if i didn't have leopard already?

5. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Good question.

I don't want to upgrade, I want to do a complete reinstall and whipe everything. I dont know how SL would know that

6. mrkelly macrumors newbie

I'm interested in how I can go about upgrading my 1 Tiger machine and 2 Leopard machines using a single Snow Leopard family pack. I don't really feel like buying a Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade (though with iLife/iWork) when I also have to buy the family pack for Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Don't get me wrong - I love the price point for the Leopard upgrades - just wish they'd make it a bit simpler.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08macosx.html

Pricing & Availability
    Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard will be available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard in September 2009 through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The Snow Leopard single user license will be available for a suggested retail price of $29 (US) and the Snow Leopard Family Pack, a single household, five-user license, will be available for a suggested price of $49 (US).

For Tiger® users with an Intel-based Mac, the Mac Box Set includes Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife® ’09 and iWork® ’09 and will be available for a suggested price of $169 (US) and a Family Pack is available for a suggested price of $229 (US).

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Now you know that it will cost you an extra $140 to do this? The only technical reason to wipe your existing installation of MacOS X is that you have a vexing problem that cannot be solved by less radical means.

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

hey, is it better to get a full retail to do a clean install, or can you set an option on the upgrade disc to wipe out your previous system?
    i mean, i know its double the work (first installing leo just for having it and then wiping it off)...
    i know from windows side that updates were never as good.. wonder how is it here on the light side.
    i mean, both of mine came preinstalled with leo ;)

10. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Maybe, but a large % of folk like a fresh install of a new OS. Esp. of they've not done one in a while.

11. Ploki macrumors 68000

where did the original poster go :eek:

anyways, yeah.. i had both (mbp and mp) systems since i got the computers.
    i want to buy a new disk for Snow Leo.. and keep the old leo partition for craptastic stuff.
    actually, its an audio system, so it got pretty cluttered because i was uncareful.
    so.. is it possible to cleanwipe with upgrade disk or do you have to buy a retail version?

12. devburke Guest

I think it'll ask you to insert a Leopard DVD just to prove you have it.

13. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

im right here? :confused:

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, but that is not the point. Irrespective of how many people like to wipe their installations, it does not mean that it is either recommended or that it is a good idea.

15. futureswitcher macrumors member

futureswitcher

Apple needs to let the disc provided to leopard users preform a clean install! What if your hard drive dies?! We surely won't be expected to buy the full version later!

oh, well. Doesn't affect me! I'll get Snow Leopard free from my University - same place I got my free win xp for boot camp:D

16. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Umm, what. Computers slow down over time whether you say it or not. Macs not as much as Windows, but they certainly do. And if you don't want to believe that fine, but furthermore, over time I accumulate tons of things I don't need, files in random places, etc. I recommend doing a clean install every 6 months. After I do a clean install my mac is like new. Well, it is new.

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I reload every christmas and sometimes the start of the summer and sometimes in the middle of a weekend. I do it at least once a year. Even if I do not change OS versions.

18. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

do they really do that for mac osx too? only microsoft allows my school to distribute windows free.. but we have to pay edu. pricing on mac osx

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

You may rationalize anything. That does not change the fact that reinstalling the OS is a colossal waste of time. Having owned Macs for twenty years, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that MacOS X does not take all that.

If you suspect a system slowdown, then run File System Check (fsck -fy) from the commandline in Single User Mode. Do this and keep at least 10% of your hard drive capacity available as free space and your system should purr like a kitten.

20. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Well I sure wouldn't want to waste a full 2 hours of my life doing something I enjoy! That sure would suck wouldn't it! Glad you care so much.

-_-

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

trust me.. you dont know how my system looks like right now. :D
    i know osx works differently, and yeah, to be honest, with a lot less care runs 200% better than windows if it would take such beating and after 1 year and 3 months...but it still has so much clutter on that it had to be manually removed, its easier to just wipe it. :)

off topic: why do i see only half of "misterMe"'s posts?

22. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Ok baring any I need to keep my programs/files arguments aside why NOT wipe a drive upon a new OSX release? You get a fresh install even IF OSX runs a lot differently then windows and manages programs and everything better why not declutter some orphined system files?

I dont want to hear any "it takes too long" sob stories either you're obviously taking the time to install/upgrade to a new OSX.

23. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Wow...if you want to "Erase & Install" using the Snow Leopard upgrade disk. It will.

For example, I'm running Leopard. I pop in 10.6 Upgrade disk. It checks to see if I'm running 10.5 (which I am). It gives me the options to "Erase & Install" "Upgrade" or "Archive".

I then pick "Erase & Install". Then it erases my disk and installs. It only need to see I had 10.5 at the initial setup.

24. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I think this is what it is

I think this is what it is. There won't be any filesystem/CD check. ( We get confused by Tiger, i think it is true for Panther users etc.)
    Standalone : Snow Leopard only - $29 ( Family Pack $49)
    Bundle : Snow Leopard + iLife '09 + iWork '09 - $169 ( Family Pack : $229 )

- Jay

25. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

How will they know who has Leopard and who doesn't? Do they have tabs on that through the serial numbers of the laptops or what?