Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the latest seed of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Apple has made dramatic changes to QuickTime Player in both interface and features. Changes to the interface has gotten the most attention with a description posted by AppleInsider. The new QuickTime X playback window appears to be minimalistic with all user-interface pieces fading away, leaving just the video displayed:
The only window-based interface element in the QuickTime X Player is reportedly the title bar, which is reminiscent of the iPhone's semi-transparent black glass interface while also adopting hues from the video frames playing beneath it. However, this too fades away and disappears with the new overlay controls so videos appear to float on the screen with nothing more than a deep shadow surrounding all four sides.
While AppleInsider posts "mock ups" of the interface, Swedish site Feber.se appears to have posted a believable screenshot of the new player.

Apple's additional changes to QuickTime Player to "focus on playback" raise the possibility of the return of QuickTime Pro as a separate application. In previous seeds, it had been noted that QuickTime Pro features had been enabled by default in QuickTime Player. With this latest revamp, however, many of the "Pro" encoding features seem to be in transition, and introducing a the more simplistic "ability to export video clips in a variety of sizes to your iTunes library .... or publish them through a MobileMe account".

Article Link: Snow Leopard QuickTime X Interface and Other Changes

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
This is nice to see. I've alway felt QuickTime was lacking. I really hope they get rid of QuickTime Pro and that entire idea, the entire application and associated features should be standard. Sounds like it looks great! :p

SJD

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
You'll still need to pay for the Pro because of MPEG-2 licensing fees.

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
@AUZBURNER, you got it wrong mate, it sounds that they stripping quicktime even more and that they make pro a necessity, shame really, very very bad apple to cripple us like this...

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Does resolution independence work better than Leopard? It sucks on Leopard enough that I do not use it. I want 1920*1200 on 15"

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
Maybe they're going to merge Quicktime Pro features in iLife or something. And make Quicktime into an extension of iTunes. I haven't really thought this out, obviously.

Either way, the newer, prettier Quicktime Player doesn't mean any of use will cease using VLC.

ztigerpaw

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
While it defenly screams iPhone/Touch, it seems like there going back to the classic route. As a old time Mac user, I remember Quicktime was just a window back then.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't like.

The timer scale bar is too small - VLC is like that. In an hour and a half long movie, trying to find the precise point is a nightmare.

It should be as long as the whole thing, like in the current QuickTime..

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I use NicePlayer at the mo to get a frameless and streamlined video window. But i am looking forward to having similar functionality as default.

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Quicktime

although its not completely identical, it to me looks like that picture of quicktime is what it looks like when its in fullscreen, you can easily change the numbers on the version and make the dock and bar at the top show up

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I like it. It's the movie in a nice window with no other bs until I need it. While I'm watching, what do I need the controls on screen for? They'll never please everyone, lets hope that you can choose the standard version as an option.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Looks good to me. We'll see what the final product is in 3 months. I like the control out of the way as much as possible.

One possibility of minimalizing the controls is one look and feel for multiple devices. That is QuickTime X for iPhone, AppleTV, iPod Touch, and Macs either raw through QuickTime or via a new FrontRow. You'd appreciate the same controls on all devices. Especially if those controls popped-up on your iPhone or iPod Touch to control the AppleTV.

I still believe we'll be seeing televisions coming out by either Apple or OEMs with AppleTVs built-in that could also do PVR.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
It looks good but I would prefer if they kept the title bar there at all times even when the mouse doesn't roll over the window. Without the title bar the window looks weird, out of place, and ungrounded.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Text + labels = default, icon size slider on the bottom right like iPhoto.

Like Windows Vista... Hmm, I wonder who stole it from who? :) I bet Bill got it (like so many of his other ideas) from something in OS X... Yeah, maybe iPhoto. <shrug>

The New QT Player looks kinda like the current DVD Player app. ;)

Who cares what it looks like. Expand its codecs (e.g., m2ts), improve its playback performance (which is pathetic) and allow it to passthrough Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS (which is virtually nonexistent).

+1

Agree completely!

I also care a little what it looks like though. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.