Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Mossberg's SL review is up: http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

He tested 3 Macs of various vintage but doesn't really discuss how SL treats them differently. The review is superficial in that he only discusses the superficial and "daily use" aspects, but that is to be expected since he is mostly a consumer oriented reviewer.

He final verdict is that SL is a solid update, but not a "must have," and most consumers (probably not talking to MR readers) won't notice any differences (which is true, especially if they have a machine that is 3+ years old).

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Snow Leopard Reviews Begin Rolling Out

With Friday's launch of Mac OS X Snow Leopard right around the corner, official reviews of Apple's latest operating system began rolling out last night.

One of the most interesting tidbits comes from Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, who reports that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade advertised by Apple as being only for current Leopard users will in fact install on systems currently running Tiger. Apple's official policy is that Tiger users are required to purchase the Mac Box Set, which includes iLife '09 and iWork '09 in addition to Snow Leopard, for $169.
And, for owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here's a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140.
Overall, Mossberg found some nice new features in Snow Leopard, including Apple's new auto-correct for text, location-based automatic time zone updating, and "video screenshots" for recording on-screen actions. He also found, however, a number of bugs and glitches. Primarily related to third-party software and drivers, those bugs resulted in some frustration, leading Mossberg to provide Snow Leopard with only a lukewarm endorsement.
Apple already had the best computer operating system in Leopard, and Snow Leopard makes it a little better. But it isn't a big breakthrough for average users, and, even at $29, it isn't a typical Apple lust-provoking product.
Other reviews from around the Internet include:

David Pogue, The New York Times:
Let's hope that Apple hurries up with its inevitable 10.6.0.1 update, too, to address the occasional Safari crash and cosmetic glitch I experienced, too.

Otherwise, if you're already running Leopard, paying the $30 for Snow Leopard is a no-brainer. You'll feel the leap forward in speed polish, and you'll keep experiencing those "oh, that's nice" moments for weeks to come.
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
Impressive and important, it's an update that will revitalize your existing Mac even though you'll be stumped for a quick five-minute demo that convinces the people around you that much of anything has changed at all.
Jason Snell, Macworld
Granted, it's a collection of feature tweaks and upgrades, as well as under-the-hood modifications that might not pay off for users immediately. But the price of upgrading is so low that I've really got to recommend it for all but the most casual, low-impact Mac users.
Jason Parker, CNET
Overall, we think that Snow Leopard did almost everything Apple says it set out to do: it refined and enhanced Leopard to make it easier to use. Though the system performs well in everyday use, many of our tests indicate it is slightly slower than the older version of Leopard in more intensive application processes. Still, we highly recommend upgrading for all the new features and Microsoft Exchange support.

Article Link: Snow Leopard Reviews Begin Rolling Out

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Mossberg's SL review is up: http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

He tested 3 Macs of various vintage but doesn't really discuss how SL treats them differently. The review is superficial in that he only discusses the superficial and "daily use" aspects, but that is to be expected since he is mostly a consumer oriented reviewer.

He final verdict is that SL is a solid update, but not a "must have," and most consumers (probably not talking to MR readers) won't notice any differences (which is true, especially if they have a machine that is 3+ years old).

If they have a machine that's 3+ years old, they can't install Snow Leopard, so of course it won't make any difference. For most people though, it will make some difference now, and a much bigger difference once apps begin to be adapted to the new technologies in SL. It'll be a slow process of gaining features/speed, not an all at once change. Still worth it in my opinion.

jW

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Sounds solid so far, can't wait to have a go myself. I think this is exactly what OS's have been missing for a few years now. They kept getting bigger and more bloated. I applaud Apple for having the guts to reign in the superfluous features and make one thats more efficient.

jbplaya

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Meh. I think I'll hold out until other 3rd party companies start requiring it. I haven't seen anything to bowl me over yet.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Good to see reviews coming in already... but how the heck did these people get review copies BEFORE the GA date? Also, good to see mostly positive reviews. No big surprise that there are glitches, especially with 3rd-party applications. That almost always happens with a reference release of Mac OS X. That said, I'm looking forward to it, and will be buying/installing this right away!

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
That comment of issues with 3rd party drivers and applications worries me, I may wait to update it until I hear what exactly some of the worst problems are.

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Agree..

Sounds solid so far, can't wait to have a go myself. I think this is exactly what OS's have been missing for a few years now. They kept getting bigger and more bloated. I applaud Apple for having the guts to reign in the superfluous features and make one thats more efficient.

Totally agree with you there... I'm sure if other OS manufacturers took a leaf out of this project the global computer stress levels would fall dramatically...

packgrad2000

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
The Apple Indonesia online store is still having problems...I've tried to put it in my shopping cart but it won't display properly.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Kinda bummed by the point of it being slightly slower in process intensive applications. Hopefully things will get ironed out when 3rd party applications start to utilize more of the new core features.

image.php

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Looks like Apple has some work to do in the performance department particularly OpenGL.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
well it has gotten pretty decent reviews.
but im also surprised at the reviewers for going out and saying it can be installed over tiger though.

cant wait for it to be on my doorstep when i get home from school. :D

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I am looking forward to it, what review talks about open gl issues, I didn't see that in the two reviews I read?

chezhoy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hanscom AFB, MA
A buddy of mine received a copy because he did a survey that Apple sent him. His copy came in a DVD box with a gold apple and a free copy of Tech Tool Pro.

He loves SL. He said it's faster than Leopard for sure. He has a Duo Core and his friend has a Quad Core...what takes 30 seconds on the Duo Core takes 5 seconds on the Quad Core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.