Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Snowed heavy all day, then stopped. STILL waiting for it to come down again. I'm skeptical, it was supposed to be A blizzard by now already. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Renzatic

Suspended
I saw this picture, and thought of this thread...

SnowKill.jpg

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Storm's a hiccup here on the Long Island shoreline. It's essentially a dusting. Again, the benefits are to food stores, snow shovel sales, the 24 hour news outlets, and the public sector overtime earnings.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Snow is a complete novelty here, I wish we'd seen some of that.

Damn, London is boring.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So far it looks like the storm here in Boston (I'm in a tiny town next to Boston), is what people expected. I'm hearing the wind whip around, the snow has piled up fairly high over night and its continuing.

My kids are off today and tomorrow, the wife is off at least for today, though my company I have to work. Funny, the subway is shut down, there's a travel ban in Massachusetts but my CIO said we have to work from home or take a vacation day. Nice.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
We can use the snow. We've had barely a foot of snow here in Brainerd. My daughter is on the Nordic ski team in high school, and they've had trouble finding places to practice. At least this January is a lot warmer than last year.

Don't worry. Mother Nature will drop it all on us in May.

----------

So far it looks like the storm here in Boston (I'm in a tiny town next to Boston), is what people expected. I'm hearing the wind whip around, the snow has piled up fairly high over night and its continuing.

My kids are off today and tomorrow, the wife is off at least for today, though my company I have to work. Funny, the subway is shut down, there's a travel ban in Massachusetts but my CIO said we have to work from home or take a vacation day. Nice.

If the family is home, what's the trouble? Take the vacation day.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Storm's a hiccup here on the Long Island shoreline. It's essentially a dusting. Again, the benefits are to food stores, snow shovel sales, the 24 hour news outlets, and the public sector overtime earnings.

20-30 inches of snow at one time isn't insignificant anywhere in the U.S. (then add to that the drifts from the wind). But the rush at the stores always amused me. Do people really run their cupboards, refrigerators, and freezers that low they can't survive a couple days without groceries?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the family is home, what's the trouble? Take the vacation day.

Why should I waste my vacation day when the entire state is shut down. I'd rather sign in to work, and have little to nothing to do, because the other offices that I support are closed. I work too hard for that time to piss it away because the CIO makes some foolish edict. Am I upset (not at you), yes, its ludicrous, yet I will live by the letter of the law (so to speak) and sign in and be available for support, that will never come since no one else is there.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Why should I waste my vacation day when the entire state is shut down. I'd rather sign in to work, and have little to nothing to do, because the other offices that I support are closed. I work too hard for that time to piss it away because the CIO makes some foolish edict. Am I upset (not at you), yes, its ludicrous, yet I will live by the letter of the law (so to speak) and sign in and be available for support, that will never come since no one else is there.

t doesn’t sound like your CIO is doing anything any different than most places. It’s the same story here in the two shops I’ve worked in the Midwest. It’s the perils of being an exempt employee. The obvious upside is your fortunate to be able to remote in and not “burn” a vacation day to be with your family like the non-exempt employees.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Snowed heavy all day, then stopped. STILL waiting for it to come down again. I'm skeptical, it was supposed to be A blizzard by now already. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Did you have high winds and low visibility? Look up the meteorological definition of blizzard and you'll see it's composed of high winds and low visibility due to blowing snow, NOT a significant snowfall.

Here (near Albany) it just started snowing about 2 hours ago and after all the hype, the storm was a major bust.

20-30 inches of snow at one time isn't insignificant anywhere in the U.S. (then add to that the drifts from the wind). But the rush at the stores always amused me. Do people really run their cupboards, refrigerators, and freezers that low they can't survive a couple days without groceries?

Yeah, I don't get that either. I LOVE the rush on shovels for the first snow (or even a mid-winter one). Umm, you live in the Northeast, what did you do with your shovel from last year, throw it out when it hit 80? I've had the same shovel for 7 years (as long as I've needed my own).

I don't get the run on bottled water, especially with a winter storm that has a low likelihood of flooding a water filtration plant. You have a tap, the filtration plants have generators so they can filter if the power is out. Tap water won't kill you, I grew up on it! I don't EVER recall a storm in my area where we didn't have running water, we still had it when the whole Northeast lost power on a clear day in the early 2000's.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Weird storm. 20 miles to my west, about 6 inches. 20 miles to my east, 24-28”. We got about 17".

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Yeah, I don't get that either. I LOVE the rush on shovels for the first snow (or even a mid-winter one). Umm, you live in the Northeast, what did you do with your shovel from last year, throw it out when it hit 80? I've had the same shovel for 7 years (as long as I've needed my own).

I don't get the run on bottled water, especially with a winter storm that has a low likelihood of flooding a water filtration plant. You have a tap, the filtration plants have generators so they can filter if the power is out. Tap water won't kill you, I grew up on it! I don't EVER recall a storm in my area where we didn't have running water, we still had it when the whole Northeast lost power on a clear day in the early 2000's.

I'm in a large metropolitan neighborhood with well water, so no power means no water for cooking, drinking, washing, or flushing toilets.

I agree with you about the snow shovel conundrum. I don't get that at all, they're not like disposable shavers. Maybe they end up in the same black hole as lost socks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like we have about 24" of snow (its hard to say exactly due to the blowing/drifting). I shoveled as best as I could during my lunch hour. I'll try to get out there again later on. Right now our road is not really plowed so I'll have to wait until they plow it, otherwise all the work I do will be undone by the plow.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Did you have high winds and low visibility? Look up the meteorological definition of blizzard and you'll see it's composed of high winds and low visibility due to blowing snow, NOT a significant snowfall.

Here (near Albany) it just started snowing about 2 hours ago and after all the hype, the storm was a major bust.

Nope, just a lot of snow here in the city, and it's been much, much more in the past. Nowdays every storm becomes this ridiculous major media hype, driven by the The Weather Channel with their ridiculous naming of storms (that was an idea that their marketing deparment came up with) which drives more viewers to them. They even approached NOAA asking them to start doing this and NOAA said NO, so TWC started doing it on their own.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife tried to go to work this morning, but the street was not really plowed (the plows went through yesterday around 2:00pm and nothing since then.).

Her car couldn't get out of the driveway, I had to back it back in and she trudged to the bus stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.