Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Hi,

now that all of you received your new 6s in USA, who among you tried different sim cards from other countries ? I really would like to be 100% sure to order "unlocked" iphones 6s at full rate from Apple. I'm waiting since the pre-order day a confirmation that some device are sim-free. I'm leaving in Switzerland, thanks you.
  • T-mobile ?
  • Verizon ?
Thanks you for your time lucky iphone 6s owners!

Have a nice day,
RB

CaCHooKa Man

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
get the Verizon one. I'ts fully unlocked for both CDMA and GSM carriers excluding sprint. Tmobile is GSM only.
There's only two models of each phone, the AT&T version with an extra LTE band and a version without the extra band for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Both versions support both CDMA and GSM. The T-Mobile version is the only one that comes unlocked when you purchase it.

cl0ne666

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
There's only two models of each phone, the AT&T version with an extra LTE band and a version without the extra band for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Both versions support both CDMA and GSM. The T-Mobile version is the only one that comes unlocked when you purchase it.

Thanks that was my impression too. Does anyone have the actual Tmobile 6S + from Apple and confirm that it is 100% carrier unlocked?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
no this is incorrect. the at&t and Tmobile versions will not work on carriers such as verizon, but the verizon one will work on all other carriers. know your stuff before posting.

and furthermore... the verizon one comes unlocked as well, and even more so.... see my last post.

Do you have the verizon 6S+ from apple?
i do not. but... verizon phones are required to be unlocked for all gsm and cdma carriers by i believe the
FCC here in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: westcoastcyc

cl0ne666

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
no this is incorrect. the at&t and Tmobile versions will not work on carriers such as verizon, but the verizon one will work on all other carriers. know your stuff before posting.
Hm, this is the first time i've read about this here. Others with the tmobile contract free confirms that it works on other GSM carriers, are you referring to only GSM and non-CDMA with the Tmobile version? The tmobile and verizon version is the same model number by the way. Not sure what sets Tmobile and verizon apart aside form the SIM that comes in ti.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The tmobile and verizon version is the same model number by the way. Not sure what sets Tmobile and verizon apart aside form the SIM that comes in ti.

If it's anything like the iPhone 6/6+, you can pop a Verizon SIM into your AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone, and it'll work fine.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
It is the same number so your statement on the verizon is incorrect... please check your facts first before saying others are false.
well, in my defense, in past years ever since the iPhone 5, this is the way it's been, and it's still technically true but now the at&t model also works on verizon.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
What changed with these models over last years Unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6 and Plus? As far as I know, people were using the unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6 and 6 Plus on Verizon. Not sure why this years iPhones would be any different if they are Unlocked.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
well, in my defense, in past years ever since the iPhone 5, this is the way it's been, and it's still technically true but now the at&t model also works on verizon.

The AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ both worked on Verizon if they were unlocked.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
So i did some research and it looks like the iPhone 6 and 6s can both do this. They just have to be the "unlocked" at&t version. I guess this would mean no contract and swap sims before booting up.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
The AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ both worked on Verizon if they were unlocked.
This being the case. There is no reason why this years Unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6S and 6S Plus wouldn't work on Verizon too.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Verizon does not lock their 4G LTE devices. That has been their policy for a few years now.

Postpay Device Unlocking Policy:

• We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement.
  • We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

rafch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Well thanks for your advice, I'll wait a few more days to get real experiences from users who are able to try for real :-D

Reactions: eagleglen

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well thanks for your advice, I'll wait a few more days to get real experiences from users who are able to try for real :-D

If you buy an iphone full price from an Apple Store, it will be fully unlocked, even though Apple Store people may not be willing to tell you they are. It's been that way for years, no need to wait for "real experiences" -- we've been doing this for years for real.

Now, until the iphone 6, you still had to think about which model to buy, because even though all full-price iphones come unlocked, different models had different cell radios that only worked with some carriers. But from the 6 on, the iphones come in only one model that works on all carriers. The only difference between models is what SIM comes preinstalled. So you can buy any iphone full price from an Apple Store, and it works on any carrier.

(There's the additional problem of some carriers being reluctant to accept devices bought from other carriers -- but that's just politics. Technically, all 6 and 6S models work with all carriers.)

Reactions: Coleman2010

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Bought AT&T model 6 Plus at Apple Store - paid full price. They sold it as device only - fully unlocked upon connecting to iTunes. No in store activation, no need for ATT account or iTunes account - just paid and left with 2 unopened boxes

IGWT15

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
same here, but inside there is already a sim card from At&T, so I don't know if its unlocked since its pre-installed with an att sim card

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
same here, but inside there is already a sim card from At&T, so I don't know if its unlocked since its pre-installed with an att sim card
Just connect to iTunes, you will see the "congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked message". I replaced the included sim with one from my 6 - all OK.

IGWT15

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
Thats odd, because i purchased mine just like that, Full price and he never opened the box, all he asked me was for ID and to what carrier i was buying it for, then he had me input my cellphone number and password, and then after pay. But when i connected to itunes i restored from back-up, I never received or saw a "congratulations"

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thats odd, because i purchased mine just like that, Full price and he never opened the box, all he asked me was for ID and to what carrier i was buying it for, then he had me input my cellphone number and password, and then after pay. But when i connected to itunes i restored from back-up, I never received or saw a "congratulations"

It's easy to miss the congratulations message, or depending on what you do, iTunes doesn't display it. Google "check iPhone unlock" and you'll find a bunch of services that you can use to check if your phone is unlocked. Find a free one and check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.