So, Apple Glass is real. Your AR ideas?

Would you use AR glasses with the features in the OP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
It would be the first time in the history of humans, that almost every corner of the world will be video recorded.

Thats alarming
You could argue this since the advent of the smartphone, really.

mattspace

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
You could argue this since the advent of the smartphone, really.
The difference being every other form of camera, it's obvious when it's being used - camcorders had legally mandated telltale lights, phones you can see a person is using it for taking photos / video.

A brand of creeper glasses that don't let you know if the person looking at you in a bar / club, is recording you to post to 4Chan... of if the person in the business meeting is streaming your confidential discussions etc.

You can't demand people take them off, because it's an aid device, so hope folks like the "style" of glasses held together with masking tape, cause every venue is going to require you to physically cover any outward facing lenses if you want to wear them.

I give it a week before someone gets punched in the face by someone who takes exception to being "recorded", and a month before an American police officer kills someone for wearing glasses.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
The difference being every other form of camera, it's obvious when it's being used - camcorders had legally mandated telltale lights, phones you can see a person is using it for taking photos / video.

A brand of creeper glasses that don't let you know if the person looking at you in a bar / club, is recording you to post to 4Chan... of if the person in the business meeting is streaming your confidential discussions etc.

You can't demand people take them off, because it's an aid device, so hope folks like the "style" of glasses held together with masking tape, cause every venue is going to require you to physically cover any outward facing lenses if you want to wear them.

I give it a week before someone gets punched in the face by someone who takes exception to being "recorded", and a month before an American police officer kills someone for wearing glasses.
You know Apple Glass is rumored to not have a camera, right?

mattspace

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
You know Apple Glass is rumored to not have a camera, right?
It's going to need some sort of camera to do hand-gesture recognition, and telling the approaching fist "actually the camera doesn't record images..." probably won't be of a large amount of help ;)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
It's going to need some sort of camera to do hand-gesture recognition, and telling the approaching fist "actually the camera doesn't record images..." probably won't be of a large amount of help ;)
The leaks say that you can‘t tell if the glasses are regular glasses or Apple Glass. The LIDAR sensor does not look like a camera and doesn‘t even have the function to take pictures. It‘s just sensing depths, so there‘s that for sensing gestures.

mattspace

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The leaks say that you can‘t tell if the glasses are regular glasses or Apple Glass. The LIDAR sensor does not look like a camera and doesn‘t even have the function to take pictures. It‘s just sensing depths, so there‘s that for sensing gestures.
It will be interesting to see what it can do with a LIDAR that has no optical camera capabilities (assuming Prosser's not just spinning it with the "sources now tell me it's been delayed / cancelled" escape clause).

The most obvious utility I can think of for a gesture recognising worn appliance, actually isn't to do with AR or anything like that - but to provide "deviceless" function switches for hearing aids (and other medical devices).

My partner's father has these ungodly expensive bluetooth hearing aids, but they have different operating modes - peripheral or conversational hearing. You either have to futz around with tiny switches on them, or pull out a smartphone and use an app to switch modes. Gesture recognition for that function, is absolutely something I could see a use for low resolution, or even zero-display glasses.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
It will be interesting to see what it can do with a LIDAR that has no optical camera capabilities
[...]
The most obvious utility I can think of for a gesture recognising worn appliance, actually isn't to do with AR or anything like that - but to provide "deviceless" function switches for hearing aids (and other medical devices).
[...]
Gesture recognition for that function, is absolutely something I could see a use for low resolution, or even zero-display glasses.
The way I think of it: We won‘t have AR games on these and we (of course) can‘t take pictures with them. Okay, but both glasses are a display so there‘s actually a menu or user interface (called Starboard) to see. Interaction will use said gestures, I hope it relies not too much on gestures as it would be looking awkward steering through the menus.

Then again it‘s in the cards that you use some UI of the Apple Glass with your eyes, so eye tracking could be a possibility. Which brings us back to the original question: What uses would we have for Apple Glass? I‘m still on navigation, subtitles for conversations, a UI for fitness (linking up with Apple Watch, heartbeat, pace and so on) as well as notifications!

toxtrepla

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
As someone who doesn’t wear glasses, I could see massive benefit in a professional environment for sure. Presentations, Powerpoints, work specific notifications to keep the clutter out, etc...

Done correctly, I’m in.

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m hoping for more than one model/style. I can’t imagine everyone walking around wearing the same glasses. I know not “everyone” will have them but you know what I mean.

NSLabs

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Like Samsung's Bixby and Google's Translate, it could have a feature where you look at anything in a foreign language and it translates it for you!

Peter.Mav

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
Some of the ideas mention are awesome. But I think you are all dreaming if you think Apple will do any of the great ideas described.
At best it will take 5 generations to get anything great on it. Look at the Apple Watch, took how many generations just to get a always on display just to show the time?

I am keen to get some futuristic type eyewear but it really needs something other than telling me it's raining or that it might be cold today to use them.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Look at the Apple Watch, took how many generations just to get a always on display just to show the time? I am keen to get some futuristic type eyewear but it really needs something other than telling me it's raining or that it might be cold today to use them.
You‘re going the route of „Apple Watch has been not useful until it got AOD“ which I personally can‘t really understand. There was so much Apple Watch added to our lives since Series 0, from Activity rings over health data, a nice fashion piece and yes, it did tell the time too. Some apps even took advantage from the new form factor back then.
I‘m not sure a Weather app is all that Apple Glass is capable of, even as a first-gen product - see the thread for ideas.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I'll start:

- non-obstrusive notifications (think like Mac banners flying in on the side)
- always-on Shazam (like Now Playing notification banners)
- subtitles for persons speaking (bonus: highlight them with colors and color the subtitles accordingly)
- navigation purposes, like Apple Maps extension
- ViewTime; like FaceTime but the called person see's what you're seeing (ie for support purposes)
- and of course games like Pokémon Go

What are your ideas? :)

It's all the hardware I need to operate a Mavic drone? Well... I can dream! jejeje

Peter.Mav

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
You‘re going the route of „Apple Watch has been not useful until it got AOD“ which I personally can‘t really understand. There was so much Apple Watch added to our lives since Series 0, from Activity rings over health data, a nice fashion piece and yes, it did tell the time too. Some apps even took advantage from the new form factor back then.
I‘m not sure a Weather app is all that Apple Glass is capable of, even as a first-gen product - see the thread for ideas.
No, I'm not going down the route of "not useful until it got AOD" I am just pointing out that with Apple they take their time in adding features. And that there most likely will be a few iterations in a product before there will be anything worth using beyond it being a gimmicky scenario. I would love for it to be a HUD with useful information.
Perhaps something I can use when out riding and can have a map in my field of vision.

Reactions: MandiMac

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
No, I'm not going down the route of "not useful until it got AOD" I am just pointing out that with Apple they take their time in adding features. And that there most likely will be a few iterations in a product before there will be anything worth using beyond it being a gimmicky scenario. I would love for it to be a HUD with useful information.
Perhaps something I can use when out riding and can have a map in my field of vision.
Let's wait and see. Apple Watch was more than gimmicky from the get-go, and I firmly believe that Apple Glass will be more than just show as well :)

Reactions: the future

Migranya

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
If they are OK for sports, a good idea would be viewing a virtual coach doing an exercise next to you.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
I wouldn't ever get anything like Apple Glasses. I'm trying to use my phone less and less if possible personally. The only thing that would be great is navigating places you've not been to before.

Other than that, it doesn't really interest me.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I wouldn't ever get anything like Apple Glasses. I'm trying to use my phone less and less if possible personally. The only thing that would be great is navigating places you've not been to before.

Other than that, it doesn't really interest me.
I‘m on the same boat as you actually: I‘m using Apple Watch for instance in order to use my iPhone less. For me, Glass would be the logical next step where I don‘t miss a beat of what I want to be notified about, but without falling into the vortex of smartphone allure. I try to stay away from most social media as well, they tend to be huge time sinks/wastes.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
A few years ago there were pictures and ideas of an iRing which could measure other health areas. If (and that's a big if) it would co-exist with Apple Glass and Apple Watch, it would be a nice collection and monitoring of your health. But yeah, we gotta wait and see for ourselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.