So did anyone buy one at the store??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EatTheApple, Apr 10, 2015.

1. EatTheApple macrumors member

Anyone? I'm thinking that maybe that have it the in San Fransisco or somewhere in California since I read on this forum that people were told that there were some...

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yesterday I was told 2 of the stores in SF got them and had them in the stock room. Yet no in-store pickup. I just called one of the stores, and they confirmed that they did have them, but would not be selling them today. I asked what the point is of having stock you don't sell, and they were equally dumbfounded. I asked when they would sell them... they said maybe later, maybe tomorrow, they really don't know as of right now the SKUs are unsellable in their system until corporate releases the skus for sale.

Very disappointed. Seems like every launch Apple regresses further into the past with their methods. Sooner or later customers are going to just get tired of the games. Many of us moved to Apple because it's easy, and customer-centric of a company, but lately it doesn't seem that way.

3. vanimal macrumors 6502a

That is absolutely crazy. I would want these on display and anyone who touches one I would want to leave with one if I was Tim Cook. This whole not in store is actually turning me off as I was on the fence. And i think seeing it in person would have pushed me to get one. Most stores don't even have them on display. I'm Prob going to wait for version 2 at this point. Seems oddly shady lol.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

It's a super weird way to do it, for any retailer. Let's announce a product that's released today, and not put it on display, but put a product on display that won't be available for 2 weeks and put a ton on display even though we can't sell any of them.

5. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Ya, I've said this in other threads today. It seems they are prioritizing online purchasers first, before opening up in-store purchasing. Perhaps this is a strategy to avoid massive queing, or more likely the whole squatting/poaching phenomenon where people buy product from stores only to turn around and hand them over to people who ship them overseas for sale on the streets at marked up prices.
    Maybe what looks like a screwed up release to us is really Apple simply favoring "real", faithful customers by reserving initial stock for people who will actually use their products. In this release, we're incentivized to purchase online first, and to have the product shipped to a physical address before In-store pickup.

Seems deliberate to me, and probably smart. I imagine this will be how things go from now on, and we'll just get used to it over the old way of chaotic line camping with the squatters.

6. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

It's most probably deliberate but it would only have been smart if they had made it clear, like they did for the Watch.

7. scabello macrumors newbie

Yes but is that not the allure of the Apple product? You own the same product as 100 million other people, but because it is not so easy to get there is somewhat of a cool factor to it. You go into the store, there is a chance you might not get it, but when you do, you feel so special and lucky to have forked over your hard earned money. lol.

Nobody needs this new MacBook and I am more prone to buy it if it is hard to get. Otherwise I would not have ordered online and maybe i would have been too busy to go to the store today. If it is just sitting there waiting for me, what is the rush? I bet my wife will still notice and bicker about the weight of it when i slip it into her purse

8. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

True, the massive lines were (are) a part of Apple's current retail image. Perhaps Ms. Arhendts, however, finds that image distasteful. It is more of a WalMart kind of feel than, say, a Burburry kind of feel, to have people sleeping on sidewalks outside the store. If Apple wants to maintain a more upscale, boutique image, maybe they've made some changes to shed the appearance of Black Friday crowds at WallMart.

That, and perhaps they don't like the disruption to the rest of business that happens at Apple Stores when massive crowds overwhelm them. People have trouble and are intimidated to just walk in and browse or buy other products or accessories when it's iPhone or iPad day and a million people are swarming the place.

Perhaps the new way gets the initial early, eager adopters their products via online purchase and home delivery, before opening up in-store stock purchases, to reduce seedy camping and overcrowding. I could totally see this as something Angela A would do, and for good reason, IMO.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

Having no product available isn't a sales/marketing tactic.

10. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

/facepalm, /headdesk

bonus points: your comment actually HURT MY BRAIN!

http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/11170/scarcity-marketing/

Read that, it may help explain it.

Also, no stock in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This hits the nail on the head.

Apple have misled their most loyal customers (the early adopters) with this shambolic release, and many are disgruntled to say the least. Rightly so too.

12. newellj macrumors 601

Yeah...the question is: what will happen? What will the consequences be? Will everyone buy, a week or two later, or will it actually hurt sales? Will it have other, less quantitative results? I have no idea and don't even really think I could speculate with any accuracy...too many things I don't know about Apple's market (and I don't consider myself, or MR, to be good representatives of Apple's market).

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No stock or display models in the vast majority or stores, inadequate initial stock is just poor management. I would get it if Apple had advised online orders first, I would get it if shipping dates were a consistent 1-3 days for stock models.

Reality is far from this; no display models, no retail stock, stretching shipping dates globally. It is what it is a poorly orchestrated launch of a new product, not some new paradigm in retail sales from Apple.

Thinking of it logically individuals in Apple are paid literally millions to ensure these type of things don't happen, it has and it`s a cluster with customers being left confused and disappointed. Defend Apple if you wish to me it`s just a mess...

Q-6

----------

+1

14. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Again, Apple never said it would be AVAILABLE today, they said it SHIPS today. Big difference.

15. macappleguy8 macrumors member

Even "shipping today" is B.S.

I ordered mine this morning. As of this afternoon my order status still states "processing shipping." I'll believe "shipping today" when I receive a "item shipped" notice before the end of this day.

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

But it doesn't ship today for anywhere outside the USA.

In the UK (a significant market for Apple) the earliest shipping for all configurations from the moment the Apple Store came back online was 3-4 weeks with actual delivery between 4-5 weeks, that's the middle of May! If Apple had been clear about this from the outset I, for one, would not be complaining.

17. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Mine and others who ordered around midnight changed to "preparing to ship" and will most likely ship today. Should have ordered sooner!

18. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

might be sitting in "preparing to ship" for a few days. Happens all the time with other launches.

19. newellj macrumors 601

Failure to give useful, accurate info to US market is stupid.

Failure to give useful, accurate info to non-US markets is beyond nuts.

BTW, what's the date today? ;)

20. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Nah, I think they've protected their loyal customers. They never said in store availability today. They said available for shipping today. This way, loyal customers can order online and have first dibs on available stock. They don't have to worry about long lines and squatters poaching all the stock. It's better... It's the way they'll do it from here on.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What is the point of this? Have there ever been queues for a Mac product of any kind? Not that I can recall.

----------

When has this ever happened for a Mac product?

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No need for the stores then ;).....

Q-6

23. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

the most loyal customers are those who rush to store at 10am or whenever the store opens, just to get hands on their products a day or even hours earlier.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I really don't understand why everyone is so offended. Order it online and enjoy it next week...

25. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You mean in 4 to 6 weeks, right?