So... does the Magic Mouse fix the Mighty Mouse's fatal flaw?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WilliamG, Oct 20, 2009.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

One of my absolute biggest pet peeves with the Mighty Mouse (aside from the input lag), was that you had to LIFT your middle finger off the right side of the mouse for the left click to register. You simply cannot rest your right-clicking finger on the mouse and left click with your pointer finger.

I really hope Apple addressed this, but why do I doubt it? :(

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Cause you have seen the new video for the magic mouse? :D

Every time I got a new mighty mouse with my Macs, I threw them back in the box. They just suck!
    Especially because one has to lift the left finger to do a right click. They did not change that with the magic mouse, so I will still stick to the good old Microsoft Optical.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've always been able to keep all fingers down when "left" clicking on my MM. Do you mean "right", or "secondary"? If so, then the index finger must be lifted, with the middle finger touching the right side. It sounds like the Magic Mouse works the same way.

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Yes, sorry. For right clicking. I feel like it's a balancing act with the Apple mice.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't know why I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love my Mighty Mouse. I never had an issue with clicking, but I think I've always instinctively raised my fingers off slightly when left or right clicking, even with older "regular" mice.

As for the OP's question I read, I believe it was Gizmodo, that yes it has the same limitation where you have to lift your finger off to perform the other click.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Same here. It's actually harder to right click when keeping the index finger down.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Was so close to buying one of these, until I found out it STILL has that problem.

When will Apple realise that there is a lot of software that requires a user to left AND right click at the same time?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm you haven't even used it yet. No one has really.
    The fatal flaw is that ****ing ball.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

That "****ing ball" has never given me any trouble... Just saying...
    :)

10. three macrumors 6502a

three

The fatal flaw of the Mighty Mouse was the ball, it was easily clogged and stopped scrolling up (or down in some cases). It isn't hard to lift your middle finger up off of the mouse to right click.

11. Coroe macrumors member

Uh, the new Magic Mouse looks all nice and shiny, but why the heck can't I tap to click? Wouldn't that be the big advantage of a multi-touch mouse? I hate to do a mechanical click, that's so industrial and 1840-ish.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol anyone amazed that we've actually gotten to the point where it is too much effort to lift a finger?

What is this the friggin Jetsons?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

One of the apps I run makes use of holding both buttons simultaneously. It sounds like this new mouse won't allow that; can anyone confirm or deny?

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Well for games, if you can't use both the buttons at the same time, you might as well throw away the mouse. Also, I think that this flaw is responsible for the annoying characteristic of the other button getting "clicked" when I didn't want it to. When I was forced to use the mighty mouse, I'd inadvertently get the contextual menu all the time. Soooo annoying!

In addition to the question posed in this thread, I'm also wondering what happens when you try to use this in Bootcamp, as it says 10.5.8 is required. Does it work, minus the multitouch features? Or is it a brick? If it doesn't work, I wonder if Apple will write Bootcamp drivers for it in the future.

15. dangil macrumors newbie

what about middle click ?! without a scroll ball, how can I middle click a link in firefox to open in another window?

that is essential...

Command-Click is not acceptable..

Apple is so stubborn ... they resist adopting standard functionality for years... then when they finally adopt, it is in a twisted way that doesn't work as well... like the 2-button mouse...

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

18. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I *really* don't see how lifting the other finger when clicking, is such a problem. Yes, the Mighty mouse FATAL flaw was using ball mouse technology in an optical mouse - a rather short-sighted step backwards, considering the rest of it was a move forwards.

Are these available in bricks and mortar Apple stores, yet?. I want one! :D

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Hopefully the .kext can be modified to let you tap to click, rather than click. They should of just taken the click out completely, then one finger tap is left click, 2 finger is right click etc.

20. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

This mouse is "Multi-Touch", correct?

If that's the case, then a click using 2 fingers would be considered a "Right"......

21. illibball087 macrumors regular

you dont game seriously if you use this mouse. this mouse is more of a luxury type mouse not for serious use. a wired mouse with a higher dpi and physical buttons is necessary for proper gaming

22. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Agree with the sentiments above - just losing the scroll ball alone will be a big step forward. I just look forward to never having to clean the non-responsible scroll ball ever again!

Multi-finger gestures are also very welcome - very used to them on my MBA, so going back to trackpad-less desktop seemed like a step backwards. Although the actual gestures are different from Macbook trackpads, so will see how that works out.

Finally, I hope pinch/zoom gesture support is added down the road. I would think this should be a matter of software update, as the mouse itself is multitouch capable.

23. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Should just save the money and buy a Logitech mouse. Might not look as elegant but much more functional. Never liked any Apple mice. They should just move on to a touchpad for the desktops already.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If they can't make a ball function correctly...

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well I game seriously, and I would really love to be able to use this mouse. I really love its new design and multi-touch capabilities, and I don't want to hassle myself with two mice, with one for work and one for games.

Shame that there is an inherent flaw, but like I discussed in another Magic Mouse thread, I don't think its difficult to imagine this not being easily corrected by a software update.

Could anyone tell me why this couldn't be possible?